cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping World on 544 Myrtle Beach

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Have lived in Myrtle Beach for almost a dozen years and have owned an RV the whole time. Usually don't use Camping World for any work to be done, since it's so dammed big and this one is so dammed hard to get into, park at, and schedule work from. Got new toad that needed tow package set up and they had a sale so we bit the bullet and went there. WRONG! Waited and waited, then they said they didn't have time and shipped our Toad off to other (original) Camping World in MB, on U S 501. When we made original arrangements, my husband told the service guy at 544 that we had a Brake Buddy system for our toad and MH and he said, 'no problem'. The personnel at 544 did not inform the service dept at 501 that we had a brake buddy and the wrong hook up was installed. Car was returned to 544 where we picked it up. No mention was made to bring the RV to make sure everything worked. When we asked if everything was set to go, we got an enthusiastic YES!
Hurricane Matthew is now on its way. DH and I decided to leave for safer area and set up the RV, pulled out the toad, hooked it up and - turn signals and lights do not work on the toad. I had to drive the car while DH drove the MH. An inconvenience only, but we had paid over $1,500 for the job to be done and it was wrong!
When we returned from our odyssey, DH called CW on 544 to tell them the problem. They said: "We didn't do the work and don't know what happened". NO, "Sorry", no, "We'll check into why it happened", No "bring it in and we'll check it out" just felt like it was an "oh well, not our fault". DH then went to Camping World on 501 to tell them what was wrong. They could not have been more apologetic. They showed him the paperwork forwarded by CW on 544. Absolutely no mention of a brake buddy hookup being required. DH said we would never return to CW on 544. Person working with us at 501 said simply "I've heard that from a lot of people". I'll bet he has!!! JUst FYI - Camping World on Rt 544 in Myrtle Beach will be more than happy to sell you an RV - just don't expect them to do too well when it comes to service! Didn't mention that when we went to pick up the toad at 544 the original time, someone working there moving an RV actually bumped it into my car! No damage, fortunately, but just another irritation! The parking lot there really is a "cluster" of RV's for sale, tow vehicles, RV's waiting for service, cars, etc with absolutely no room to maneuver!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
8 REPLIES 8

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Now that we've been in the RV lifestyle for 12 years, one thing I've learned is to NEVER do actual RV dealings with CW. They run their business as they see fit and have become a huge, profitable company. Great for them and Marcus. But I get extremely better service and pricing when I go the independent dealership to buy a camper or have it serviced.

I have been to the 501 store to buy accessories but not the 544 store. It does look quite crowded. I noticed how a couple months ago they bought that gas station property and filled it up with campers, too. They must be doing something right. Just not for me.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
The CW on Rt 544 did take over adjacent property - and immediately filled it up with more RVs for sale! Still no place to park! Spoke to the store manager when my car was bumped into by an employee moving an RV. I told him there was no room - he agreed and just shook his head.
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
)what does the Brake buddy have to do with the lites not working on the Toad
2) did they actually repair the wiring so the lites work now and has anyone installed your Brake Buddy yet

The wiring was incorrect. It was done to accommodate another brand of braking system That's why our's did not work. Our braking system is not permanently installed. We remove it from the car when we are not towing. From what I understand (and my terminology could be incorrect) and from what we were told by the CW staff who did the work, it matters which kind of system is being used.

We have an appointment next week for the correction. We told them there was no hurry.

Yes, I did transpose the highway numbers! Rt 544 made the mistakes. Rt. 501 (the original CW in Myrtle Beach) is the one making the corrections - they were not informed by the one on 544 what was needed. Sorry for the confusion. I edited the original post! Thanks for pointing it out!
Go and enjoy!!

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
trb46 wrote:
I've been to the CW on 544 several times, and agree that parking is a nightmare. They really need to improve the situation!

I was there over the winter. the CW on 544 was beginning to build a-new. a sign about the build anyway.

MrWizard
Moved from technology
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to the CW on 544 several times, and agree that parking is a nightmare. They really need to improve the situation!
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

Viewfinder
Explorer
Explorer
"DH said we would never return to CW on 501. Person working with us at 544 said simply "I've heard that from a lot of people". I'll bet he has!!! JUst FYI"

Did you happen to reverse the store numbers on this section of your post? I'll bet you did.

jim

OP has corrected prior post.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:
Have lived in Myrtle Beach for almost a dozen years and have owned an RV the whole time. Usually don't use Camping World for any work to be done, since it's so dammed big and this one is so dammed hard to get into, park at, and schedule work from. Got new toad that needed tow package set up and they had a sale so we bit the bullet and went there. WRONG! Waited and waited, then they said they didn't have time and shipped our Toad off to other (original) Camping World in MB, on U S 501. When we made original arrangements, my husband told the service guy at 544 that we had a Brake Buddy system for our toad and MH and he said, 'no problem'. The personnel at 544 did not inform the service dept at 501 that we had a brake buddy and the wrong hook up was installed. Car was returned to 544 where we picked it up. No mention was made to bring the RV to make sure everything worked. When we asked if everything was set to go, we got an enthusiastic YES!
Hurricane Matthew is now on its way. DH and I decided to leave for safer area and set up the RV, pulled out the toad, hooked it up and - turn signals and lights do not work on the toad. I had to drive the car while DH drove the MH. An inconvenience only, but we had paid over $1,500 for the job to be done and it was wrong!
When we returned from our odyssey, DH called CW on 544 to tell them the problem. They said: "We didn't do the work and don't know what happened". NO, "Sorry", no, "We'll check into why it happened", No "bring it in and we'll check it out" just felt like it was an "oh well, not our fault". DH then went to Camping World on 501 to tell them what was wrong. They could not have been more apologetic. They showed him the paperwork forwarded by CW on 544. Absolutely no mention of a brake buddy hookup being required. DH said we would never return to CW on 501. Person working with us at 544 said simply "I've heard that from a lot of people". I'll bet he has!!! JUst FYI - Camping World on Rt 544 in Myrtle Beach will be more than happy to sell you an RV - just don't expect them to do too well when it comes to service! Didn't mention that when we went to pick up the toad at 544 the original time, someone working there moving an RV actually bumped it into my car! No damage, fortunately, but just another irritation! The parking lot there really is a "cluster" of RV's for sale, tow vehicles, RV's waiting for service, cars, etc with absolutely no room to maneuver!

1)what does the Brake buddy have to do with the lites not working on the Toad
2) did they actually repair the wiring so the lites work now and has anyone installed your Brake Buddy yet