cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight Rv park on I-75 either south or north of Atlanta

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be heading down to Florida within the next few days, (Wednesday, Thursday or Friday) and our normal route is down I-95.
We want to go an inland route, (I-75) through Atlanta to miss the hurricane.
Can any one recommend a good over night RV park right off I-75 or close to it either just north of Atlanta or just south of it.
We would like to be far enough away from Atlanta to be out of the heavy traffic

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
20 REPLIES 20

Milt
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with welove2drive. Always stop at High Falls S.P. If weathers good we'll stay two nights. It's just a few miles east of I75 S. of Atlanta. I've found if we can go through Atlanta around midday the traffic is not too terrible.
Milt

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Go ahead and head into Florida. Southbound traffic is smooth as butter right now ๐Ÿ˜‰
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I would get on through Atlanta to someplace North of Marietta, GA.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a campground but the MALL OF GEORGIA is just east of Atlanta off I-85, I've driven past it a couple times visiting a friend who lives within walking distance. Lots of parking and most of those big malls invite overnight RV's to stay and shop.. You might want to kill a day anyhow and that's a good place to do it (give Matthew more time to head north).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
cmcdar wrote:
I HATE driving thru Atlanta!!!

That said, I time my departure so that I will drive thru Atlanta on a SUNDAY very early in the morning.

Last winter I dry-camped in the Walmart parking lot just north of Atlanta, in Smyrna, GA. The location was just off I-75.

It worked out so perfectly, I kept doubting we actually had passed thru Atlanta - NO TRAFFIC.

I plan to do exactly the same thing this year.

That sounds good and we'll go that way.
Can you or any one else suggest an RV park for an overnighter between Athens and Macon

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA in Forsythe is very convenient.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
We will be heading down to Florida within the next few days, (Wednesday, Thursday or Friday) and our normal route is down I-95.
We want to go an inland route, (I-75) through Atlanta to miss the hurricane.
Can any one recommend a good over night RV park right off I-75 or close to it either just north of Atlanta or just south of it.
We would like to be far enough away from Atlanta to be out of the heavy traffic

Jack L

You might want to wait it out for a week in Georiga. State parks are south of Atlanta and am thinking the one south of Mcdongha about 10 miles was real nice Something falls is the name.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
We're 30 miles from High Falls and go there for quick weekends often. Indian Springs is also nearby if High Falls is full. On weekends, you have 2 night minimum. Not sure about weekdays.

With recent construction, Henry County just south of I285 is worse than downtown Atlanta. The lanes get very narrow and folks run 70+ ignoring the 60mph construction zone speed limit.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for High Falls State Park. Its a wonderful park.
There's a restaurant right next door to it, but otherwise you might find yourself driving a little ways to find food. The park is right off the interstate.

I don't know why people always talk about driving through Atlanta like its some kind of warzone. I've driven through it a great number of times, including with camper in tow. Avoid the morning and evening rush hours, hunker down in one of the middle lanes and roll on. Sure, you might encounter an accident or some other issue, but its no different than what you might find on other roads.

To put it more bluntly, if you fear towing your camper on the interstate through Atlanta, then perhaps you should be reconsidering whether or not you should be towing in the first place.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Tifton Ga , a spartan , cheap stop can be had at the Georgia State Agriculture Museum . Full hookups for ten to twenty dollars depending !

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Good overnight campgrounds: http://gastateparks.org/. If you are planning on staying overnight on a holiday, check and see if you can make reservations, just to make sure there is space. Walk ons are welcome as long as there is space.

Avoid at all costs going though middle of Atlanta between 0700 am and 7pm Monday - Friday. Use 285. Avoid the outer perimeter (285) of Atlanta during rush hour times (7-9 am and 4-7pm). Listen to 750am on your radio for traffic reports - even on weekends.

I dont know your exact route, but if you are coming from North Carolina, I suspect you will be on I85. Take I85 down the east side of I285, then to I75. Again - if you are approaching Atlanta during rush hour, go find a place to park for a while until after rush hour. It will take the same amount of time and will save you on fuel and pulling you hair out.

Trust me - I live here!
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Look at your map and find rt 441, it is east of Atlanta (goes thru Athens) and is a much better road than I-75. It really is not that much slower and there are campgrounds all along it and nice little towns to stop and stretch the legs. I took that way this past march and now I will never ever take 75 again. So much less stressful than the expressway.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
I HATE driving thru Atlanta!!!

That said, I time my departure so that I will drive thru Atlanta on a SUNDAY very early in the morning.

Last winter I dry-camped in the Walmart parking lot just north of Atlanta, in Smyrna, GA. The location was just off I-75.

It worked out so perfectly, I kept doubting we actually had passed thru Atlanta - NO TRAFFIC.

I plan to do exactly the same thing this year.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've stayed at Atlanta South RV Park a few times for overnight stops. I'ts right off a I-75 Exit 222- easy off/on.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard