cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can anyone recommend a GPS for the Bigger rigs for camping?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Been thinking about buying a GPS that might be more set up fro Truck drivers or large RV's, that would have info that actually helps us vs the GPS units made for people in compact cars.

I'm thinking about this being am a commercial truck driver & also love to camp a lot in my RV in unknown places.

I plan to camp the whole country eventually & think this would be very helpful.

What are your thoughts?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
22 REPLIES 22

F350_RR
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Your favorite tablet with "GPS Copilot" installed. The maps are loaded on the tablet (or phone), uses no data and you can custom tune it for RV use.

I have been using CoPilot for several years on iPad and iPhone in the US, Canada and in France. I use a BadElf GPS receiver that connects to devices via Bluetooth so no cell service is needed. If I want "active traffic" on CoPilot I use the iPhone as a Personal Hotspot for the iPad which is not cell equipped.

I still check where I plan to travel on the desktop before going anywhere. Gets me the zoomed out view and possible preferred routing and I make notes as needed. The BadElf receiver runs all day on its rechargeable battery and can be set to log the track as well as turn itself off after sitting still for a set time to conserve battery.

I use the BadElf on the boat with the iPad and marine charts as a backup or for a different view than the Garmin plotter. With a clear south view and a few minutes to acquire more satellites it reports an error of less that 10 feet.

Doug
Doug

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
owenssailor wrote:
We just got a Garmin RV 660. You can choose whether to use it for RV with the specs you put in or use it for a car. I have used it about 1500 miles so far this trip and am very happy with it. Screen is very clear. Directions for turns are easy to follow.

X2 love mine

GPS store on line currently have them for 249.95 with free shipping - I got mine there back in May

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-RV-660LMT-GPS-for-RVs-P4463.aspx

Because as I said I'm also a commercial truck driver, so hoping to find one that will help me in both work & play?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
the RV660. is the obsolete 760 with a smaller screen

an for me.. going from a 5 inch to a 6 .. why bother.

if you 770 is sending you down the wrong roads.. you have something wrong in the parameters you entered. my opinion.

plus the 770 has on-screen route adjustments. no need to download changed routes like from basecamp...

you can plan and adjust routes on screen... tap and drag for different roads or cities. not able in others.

purchase what you like. being software is so personal.. and different.. hard to compare non biased views.

going from Mulligan to Garmin.. was big in software difference.. but worth it in the end for me.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:
Been thinking about buying a GPS that might be more set up fro Truck drivers or large RV's, that would have info that actually helps us vs the GPS units made for people in compact cars.

I'm thinking about this being am a commercial truck driver & also love to camp a lot in my RV in unknown places.

What are your thoughts?

DEZL GARMIN 770 LMTHD

Why would you use a trucker GPS in a RV when there are a 6 and 7 inch RV model - trucker GPS takes you on strange routes sometime - I speak from actual usage

From the OP
GPS that might be more set up fro Truck drivers or large RV's, wrote:
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Your favorite tablet with "GPS Copilot" installed. The maps are loaded on the tablet (or phone), uses no data and you can custom tune it for RV use.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto - ordered a Garmin 660 from thegpsstore yesterday. I don't own a smart phone so that option's out.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:
We just got a Garmin RV 660. You can choose whether to use it for RV with the specs you put in or use it for a car. I have used it about 1500 miles so far this trip and am very happy with it. Screen is very clear. Directions for turns are easy to follow.

X2 love mine

GPS store on line currently have them for 249.95 with free shipping - I got mine there back in May

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-RV-660LMT-GPS-for-RVs-P4463.aspx
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

DEZL GARMIN 770 LMTHD

Why would you use a trucker GPS in a RV when there are a 6 and 7 inch RV model - trucker GPS takes you on strange routes sometime - I speak from actual usage
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blanco1 wrote:

DEZL GARMIN 770 LMTHD

& Why?
What makes you recommend it?

Google shows it available from AMAZON... Should have a few AMAZON reviews which they are good at providing...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Came back a couple weeks ago from a 3300 mile trip using the free download of Co-Pilot with the voice option (about 10 bucks)on my Samsung tablet. Bought a mount for it at Five Below and it worked very well. You can preplan trips and save them. There are two selectable heights for campers. It will not take you on a route with low bridges or on roads that prohibit large commercial vehicles, like some of the parkways here in the northeast. I was very happy with it. Give it a try.....it's free!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

DEZL GARMIN 770 LMTHD

& Why?
What makes you recommend it?

1. 7" screen
2. life time map updates plus lifetime HD Digital Traffic
3. custom routing for the size and weight of your RV
4. Truck and trailer services Directory
5. road warnings including sharp curves and bridge heights
6. 15 year of using Garming GPS's with great satisfaction
7. Garmin tech support is outstanding any time you call them and the support is not "out sourced" to representatives who can't speak english. Garmin support is located in Kansas.

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've run with the Garmin RV 760 for several years now, and it's worked well for us. Previously, we had a Garmin DEZL, which is the commercial truck version. While it did keep it out of tight spots (we're towing a fiver that is 13'6" tall), it limited us to streets and roads identified as municipal truck routes which, at times, took us quite a bit out of our way. Out of curiosity, I checked out the newer Garming RV 660 to see the difference between it and the 760. Looks to be featured very similarly, but the 660's screen is smaller than the oversized 760 which is a disadvantage for an old guy like me.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin 770LMTHD... 2 months.. 7 inch. louder volume, warning of hills and turns.. calls out speed limit changes.. lots more. POI Factory of RV stuff for free.

and a Garmin 2597... had for 3 1/2 years. good unit.. now mounted on motorcycle.

fyi, I was a Mulligan GPS guy for 6 years.. good warranty.. bad product. kept going dead. not one lasted 1 year.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I've begun to use the Sygic GPS app for smartphones. One of the best features is the 'heads up' display. While it is only useful at night and it's not often that I drive my RV at night, that's when it is the most helpful for me. You place your phone on the dash and it reflects a simplified image off the windshield. Much better than a glowing GPS messing up your night vision. It's also quite a bit cheaper than any GPS. Find it on Google play or see more info on camper version at sygic.com. There is a stripped-down free version that you can use to evaluate it (but without the 'heads up' feature).