cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I install a bike rack on the back of my RV?

JM6479
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. My family (wife, 3 young boys) did our first-ever camping trip last weekend, in our new Shamrock hybrid trailer. We left our bikes at home for this trip, but I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to transport 5 bikes.

At the campground, amazingly, I was bordered on both sides by families who also had Shamrock hybrids, and both of them bolted a receiver hitch on th eback bumper of the trailer, and then loaded bike racks into the receiver. One family had 4 bikes, the other had 3, both said they had been doing it for years.

Seemed like the perfect solution to me.

Except I got onto the Forest River website, and in the Frequently Asked Quetions section, it specifically said that doing this was a no-no.

Any thoughts? I tow with an SUV, not a pickup. I'd love to bring 5 bikes with us.
13 REPLIES 13

Hamops
Explorer
Explorer
I would advise that you NOT mount any type of bike rack on your trailer bumper.

I mounted a receiver on the bumper of our 5vr for a bike rack. I added cables to minimize side to side and front to back movement. That DID NOT work! There was still enough movement to eventually crack the welds on the trailer bumper.

Cheers
Helen & George VE3INB and Max (Bichon Frise)

2006 Silverado 2500HD D/A, Isspro Gauges, Linex, Westin Nerf Bars, Fold-A-Cover

2014 Avalanche 295
Reese 16K Slider, Bedsaver, Prodigy Controller, Rearview Camera

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I made a PVC Bike Rack to go inside for mine.PVC Bike Rack

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
maybe look into a front mounted trailer hitch for the front of that SUV?

dclaarjr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Sierra Ultra Light with the backpack add on, part of which is a fold rack to haul stuff on. I modified the rack and welded an bumper receiver to it and haul our bikes that way.

A friend of hours just bought a new TT made by Forest River. It came with a bike rack that attaches to a factory installed mount on the rear bumper.

Before you actually haul any bikes for any distance, make sure that everything is secure and there is no twist in the bumper. I tested mine by jumping up and down on the bottom of the rack to see if anything flexed or moved. I think this was a fair test since I weigh more than the weight rating for the bike rack.

Mremdal33
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
I mounted quick release clamps on the bottom of my flipped over dinette benches and all four bikes go there. Safe and dry and very sturdy there.

As above, bad idea for the bike rack on the back bumper without major reinforcement of the bumper.

Awesome idea!

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
93Cobra2771 wrote:
I mounted quick release clamps on the bottom of my flipped over dinette benches and all four bikes go there. Safe and dry and very sturdy there.

As above, bad idea for the bike rack on the back bumper without major reinforcement of the bumper.

That's *exactly* what I've been debating doing! None of my bikes have quick-release wheels, though. But, I've been kicking around other mounting methods.

You can get replacement "skewers" for almost any bike made, for relatively cheap...
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Wyomings
Explorer
Explorer
I have a frame mounted receiver hitch that the previous owner used to tow doubles (a 4 wheeler trailer). I put a hitch rack on it and carry 3-4 bikes no problem. Two of those are pretty little bikes though for my kids.

In your situation I think a roof mount on your SUV would be the best way to go.

We've also carried a bike inside the 5er on the the folded down couch. Works great too.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:

That's *exactly* what I've been debating doing! None of my bikes have quick-release wheels, though. But, I've been kicking around other mounting methods.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
your Shamrock is an ultra-light trailer with an ultra-light frame.
these are not built the same as 5th wheel or MH frames or non-ultralight TT's.
the only way for your Shamrock to carry that amount of bouncing/flexing weight, is to have a receiver welded and braced to the frame.
BUT this mod will void the frame's warranty unless your Shamrock's has expired. if so, go for it.

be aware, since TT's/HTT's don't have shocks, the load of bikes will be bouncing up/down and back, putting forces that can cause most bike racks to fail.
very few rack manufacturers will warrantee a rack for RV usage. Swagman is one of the few.

bottom line is that 5 bikes will be extremely challenging for any bike rack, let alone one attached to the rear of a trailer.

my suggestion is to get a roof rack system from Yakima or Thule, for your SUV. 5 bikes is just too much weight for any other type of setup.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer

Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend who was all proud of his 3 or 4 bike rack that mounted to the rear bumper until they left for home on that trip. I got a text from his wife saying that they were sitting on the side of the road while he went and collected the bikes. Turns out, they were flagged down by another motorist who said that something was dragging and throwing sparks. The weight of the bikes twisted the bumper and let them drag down the road.

I'm sure lots of people do it without issue, but no chance that I am going to do it. I have a fifth wheel and need to carry 2 bikes now, 1 kid's tricycle and next year, my wife will start bringing her bicycle, too. So it'll be 4 for us. Right now, I just kind of pile them up on the dinette table folded-down with neat-sheets between them. Not idea, but it's what's working for now.

When I had my pop-up, I carried 3 bikes using a Thule Raceway on the back of our Durango. To carry more, I would have gotten Thule products to carry them on top of the SUV. Just prepare yourself for sticker shock - $$$. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost all MFG's will advise not to bolt or weld anything to their frames to cover themselves. That being said there are a lot of receivers attached to trailer frames with no issues. I would not use a bumper mount. My only concern would be maintaining proper tongue weight.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about yours specifically, but most rear bumpers are rated for about 100 lbs at most and you would probably be over that with 5 bikes. Hope you figure it out.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."