cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you winterize a Keurig coffee maker?

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Well can you? I turn it upside down but no water comes out. I know there is a bunch in there. Or do I have to leave it home?
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS
30 REPLIES 30

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I use one of the these. Won't break. Don't need any electricty. Don't have to worry about winterizing (lol)Just the ability to boil some water. i.e. stove or fire.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT PUT ALCOHOL IN YOUR KEURIG!

Alcohol boils at a lower temperature than the brewer is designed to heat water to. Because of this the brewer will not stop trying to heat the alcohol as the it will never reach the final brew temperature and stop heating like water would cause it to do.

Long story short, you will now have an appliance that will overheat, burn out the heating element and possibly hurt someone. Don't do it!
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
I have Bunn My Cafรฉ with same issue. When we drove from minus 30 Canada to warm Florida I wrapped it in some extra clothes and put inside a cooler bag. Stayed plenty warm for the 3 day trip.
I had thought of the vodka idea but just drank it instead.. :W
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
The vodka idea intrigued me, so I did a little searching .... I didn't find anything about using alcohol (or the pink stuff) in the tank. But I did find this ... Many of these look pretty good ๐Ÿ™‚
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Of course of you can winterize it. Just pour the pink stuff in the tank and turn it on. Let it run through until pink comes out. Then simply dump the excess. Nothing says you cannot do this. It will work.

Now .... when you go to de-winterize it ... well ...... what's a little "pink" in your coffee!

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Fizz wrote:
Fill it with Vodka and run it a few times. That should clear out the water.

And make for a very good morning!

Just remember: It's five o'clock somewhere
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We also lost an Nespresso machine due to freezing. Never gave it a thought, until the water ran out the bottom when we used it in the spring.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz wrote:

And make for a very good morning!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
It's a bit different machine, but we ruined our Nespresso coffee maker when if froze. The reservoir that was filled with water was fine, but internally something cracked, and leaked.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
It makes a difference what model it is. You hold down the brew button (as I remember) on the mini we had at work.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wvabeer wrote:
Monongahela National forest
No, I mean where in the coach?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
From the Keurig web site FAQ:

"Once your Keurig home brewer has been primed, you cannot empty the water from the inside. The internal tank of the brewer cannot be drained. If you need to store your brewer, empty the removable water reservoir and store your brewer in a safe and frost-free environment. Please be sure to store your brewer in its upright position to avoid water leakage from the inner tank. If you store the brewer in a cold environment, you run the risk of water freezing inside the brewer and causing damage......"
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Monongahela National forest
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

2oldman