cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canada to US border crossing

danbjr
Explorer
Explorer
Just crossed from Canada to US in Houlton ME. Great experience, very professional, friendly. Good job!
16 REPLIES 16

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My turn tomorrow. Sometimes we get minor delays from junior officers who don't know that we have the same no visa privelidge as Canadians. Understandable, especially at minor crossings.

The shock at seeing an unusual passport almost always draws the same question. "Bermuda!!!! What are you doing here?" Followed by a look up & down a 55' long RV then, here it comes..."How did you get that thing over here?"
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
I've crossed many times, not too many issues really. There can be some long delays at some surface crossings at the wrong time of the week and at airports (I have stood in line for 2+ hours in Toronto trying to get through U.S. customs, the other way is much smoother).
I try to use the smaller surface crossings (like the one in Vermont on my way to New Hampshire for my yearly visit) as they often have like one car delay, which (big sigh) I hear they are going to phase out in favour of those large ones with the long line-ups.
Big thing is be ready, the questions and requirements are simple and predictable.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a problem crossing. You do have to remember that they have to pull over a vehicle after so many crossings for quality assurance regardless of the answers the person in that vehicle give.

Back in the 70's they were pulling over every 5'th vehicle at the Detroit/Ontario crossing for spot checking. What a pain that was. At least it didn't last for very long.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder about the comment on the finger printing and the concealed carry permit. Twas not required for IL and I could have got one for FL at the same time and no finger printing. :h

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
We just crossed back into US at Niagara Falls. Very professional. Few questions. We followed a father and two children going across on bikes. Looked like they were packed for quite a ride!! We were traveling home from the UP and decided last minute to travel home through Canada to see something different, and see the falls again (last time was 14 yrs ago). Entered canada at sault ste. Marie. Good time! Need more planning in future but no real problems at all.
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Finger printing can equal getting a concealed carry permit which equals you might have a hand gun which you cannot take into Canada.
SRT, we spent the night at Dickey Lake south of Eureka which is a nice USFS CG and a little tight for a 42' MH.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

08UltraRider
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Seems like it depends a lot on who's manning the checkpoint. =snip= The agents were taking everything out of the RV. Don't know if he was a Canadian or U.S. citizen, or what he did wrong, but I bet he had to reload by himself.

It really depends on the answers more than whose asking the questions.

It could have been he gave them a reason to search by his answers or been a random search. I was selected for a random search at Coutts/Sweetgrass a few years ago where they put everything back. And again when I was flying home where my luggage was randomly selected by Homeland Security and they kept it in Houston to return it after searching on another flight the next day.

I've been asked several times by the US side if i've ever been fingerprinted which the answer is yes every time. Simple explaination when and why then carry on...

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Went into Canada last month with twice the allowed beer and wine which I told them I had. After the usual any guns or ammo he asked if we had friends in Alberta... no. He asked if we were going to sell any of it... No and we were allowed to enter without paying any duty on the excess. Several years ago we were searched and required to pay the duty on the excess wine.
Entered the US yesterday on 93 into MT without any problems as we did not have any fruit or potatoes.

You went through my babyhood home town, Eureka. Both my grand parents and parents lived there at one time. Haven't been there for over 5 years.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like it depends a lot on who's manning the checkpoint. On my way to Alaska, I crossed into Canada at Sweetgrass, MT. I'd read the latest border crossing rules, so didn't have anything that wasn't allowed. The customs agent checked my passport and asked me if I'd ever been fingerprinted. ??? I really didn't know the answer. I told him maybe when I joined the Navy. I still don't know the answer, but he let me pass. Entering Alaska, re-entering Canada and entering the US on the way home I barely had to slow down at the border crossings. While I was headed north, another RV was headed south at Sweetgrass. The agents were taking everything out of the RV. Don't know if he was a Canadian or U.S. citizen, or what he did wrong, but I bet he had to reload by himself.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Went into Canada last month with twice the allowed beer and wine which I told them I had. After the usual any guns or ammo he asked if we had friends in Alberta... no. He asked if we were going to sell any of it... No and we were allowed to enter without paying any duty on the excess. Several years ago we were searched and required to pay the duty on the excess wine.
Entered the US yesterday on 93 into MT without any problems as we did not have any fruit or potatoes.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
i Corky wrote:
A few years ago, on our first Canadian crossing, they had us held up for 2 hours. They insisted we had guns because we were from Texas. They searched the RV for 2 hours, 2 people, then let us go.

When I crossed in May that was the first question and when I said no I was challenged, in a friendly way, that they thought it was the law in Texas that we all had to carry guns. I laughed and said no, he laughed and then told me I was flagged in the Canadian database. Had me pull over to the side and go inside and 'splain things. It was a minor work related issue from two years ago. Anyway, I ended up crossing back and forth four times and each time I was asked addition questions but never had a problem. I never had to undergo a search.

Did have US Customs ask me on one crossing what kind of work I used to do and from that I gathered they also had me flagged. But again, no problems in four crossings this summer.

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread. I just came back from a business trip in Mexico today. Flew into Dallas/fort worth.
US citizens and Canadian citizens go thru the same lines and scrutiny.

Border Agent was friendly and professional.

Airline on the other hand.

i_Corky
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago, on our first Canadian crossing, they had us held up for 2 hours. They insisted we had guns because we were from Texas. They searched the RV for 2 hours, 2 people, then let us go.
"Corky" & Marj Sullivan

If you focus on the problem, it gets bigger
If you focus on the solution, it gets bigger
You decide!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
danbjr wrote:
Just crossed from Canada to US in Houlton ME. Great experience, very professional, friendly. Good job!

Thank you Danbjr. Sure
is nice to hear positive remarks.

Lakeside