cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

carrying a kayak on top of a PU cap.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a Kayak carrier bolted into the fiberglass cap of your truck. I know I can buy one of those sponge deals and tie the kayak down that way, but I would rather have a carrier made for this purpose instead.
10 REPLIES 10

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Thule rack on my truck. I went to a local outfitters shop that had several brands and styles to choose from. It helps to find someone knowledgeable with so many options available.

LBL_1206
Explorer
Explorer
I have a yakima system on top of my leer fiberglass truck cap.
roll bars are removable and the rails are stationary. I carry two
kayaks on top.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Double Post
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Thule rain gutter foot system with artificial rain gutters gutters. Same rack is on it's 4th truck, just get a new set of gutters as you change trucks.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Sure have!!! On my truck cap I had a square aluminum bar rack that was simply screwed into some plywood inserts molded into the cap itself. The rack itself didn't take much of the wind load - if I was travelling any distance I'd tie the nose and stern of my boats to the bumpers fore and aft. Purpose of the rack is to keep them from sliding around - the real work is done by the painter lines. No different really than how I carry either canoes or 'yaks on the Thule rack on my Suby. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have them on my Dodge and my Ford.
On the cap of my dodge, I have Thule tracks bolted through with Yakima towers and cross bars.
On my Ford cap I have the Yakima "Landing Pads" which are bolted through with Yakima cross bars
On both of them I carry two long sea kayaks sometimes on J cradles and other times on regular saddles and at the same time I carry a 17 foot canoe between them.
I also have a set of cross bars on the cab roof using Yakima thingies that are like a big toggle bar which doesn't come through the headliner.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of ours just bought a rack that bolts to the truck box and the cap fits under it. There are no bolts going into the truck cap at all. They then mount their "J" carriers to the top rails. Can't find their exact model but this is similar http://www.usrack.com/truck_cap_rack.php

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We have an F250 CC and use 2 Thule roof racks--carry 2 10ft kayaks--if the weather got really rough we would put the kayaks inside the 5'vr--1 over the front bed and 1 over the table,couch in the slide out. They are not bolted to the roof but attached with Thule side rack mounts. Good Luck, Lars

http://tinypic.com/r/ehhdu/8
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is one, but I know I've seen better. You might look at Thule's web site. Also look at REI's web site or you might have a store near you?

Amazon rack clicky

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I have not but have seen it many times. You might check with the cap manufacturer to make sure it can support the weight. Just be sure to seal the holes where you run the bolts through to keep your cap water tight.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)