cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 3100 - running an AC - how many hrs out of a tank?

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me how many hours a Champion 3100 inverter generator will run on a tank while running a roof air?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
67 REPLIES 67

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you for the follow-up.

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
As info - just got back from a weekend trip. The 3100 would run my smaller roof air (11K BTU) on eco-mode and I got right at 4 hrs per tank.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
The Pinellas kit def seems like the way to go
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

MrWizard
Txsurfer wrote:
Understood but if it was gravity fed its shouldn't need a fuel pump should it?

it would not be pure gravity unless you came out of the bottom of the aux tank and place it above the champ, then it would simply flood
the champ, IF that worked with out flooding or danger there would be tube video all over the net
putting a hose in thru the top to reach the bottom of the aux, and move the fuel to the champ requires some kind of suction
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Txsurfer wrote:

The fuel tanks vent line is there to prevent overfill and simply adding a tank on top to gravity feed won't work. That is why the Pinellas solution that adds a fuel pump uses a check valve on the vacuum line and also is configured such that it uses the fuel selector knob to switch between built-in tank vs. external tank.

There is one other solution that you can see on youtube for adding an external tank. The other solution uses the remote start model's battery to power an tiny electric pump. It works but to me it's not as polished as the vacuum pump method.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
Tommy at Bottom Line Trading company in Austin Texas is the official distributor for the Pinellas kits. Here's the link and his prices.

Official Seller Website Pinellas Champion 3100 Extended Run Kit

Bottom Line Trading Company
Need an External Tank System you can add to
your Champion inverter gen (75537i or 75531i)

Want to upgrade your unit w/ custom selectable
external tank kit for extended run time capabilities?
(50 min in depth installation video link included)
$249.77 with Fuel Hose or $199.77 without Fuel Hose
(fuel tank is not included, connectors are Attwood Yamaha Marine type)

Yea, he's the one that used to sell the generators with the kit already installed, and is where I got mine from. For some reason, he quit offering those.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

MrWizard
the 'gas cap' mod works on the hondas,
because the hondas already have a fuel pump
and creating a vacuum sealed tank causes the fuel to move from the aux to the oem tank

the champions do not have a built in mfg installed fuel pump
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gents - I have two units on my TH - a 11.5K and 15K so I will see how long I get running each. I do not plan on doing much dry camping so the tank may not be an issue but it's nice to know that there are options. Seems like someone would come up with a screw on aux reservoir that would screw onto the existing gas cap threads that would add a gallon or so. Seems like it would work.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Tommy at Bottom Line Trading company in Austin Texas is the official distributor for the Pinellas kits. Here's the link and his prices.

Official Seller Website Pinellas Champion 3100 Extended Run Kit

Bottom Line Trading Company
Need an External Tank System you can add to
your Champion inverter gen (75537i or 75531i)

Want to upgrade your unit w/ custom selectable
external tank kit for extended run time capabilities?
(50 min in depth installation video link included)
$249.77 with Fuel Hose or $199.77 without Fuel Hose
(fuel tank is not included, connectors are Attwood Yamaha Marine type)
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Pinella's kit installed on my Champion 3100. there used to be an online seller that sold them already modified. Works great! I use an external 6 gallon marine tank, and bring along a couple of extra 5 gallon gas cans to refill with. Hose is at least 10' long, so refilling while running is not an issue. Best part is you still have the ability to use your built-in tank with the flip of a lever. So if you need just a couple hours of run-time for some task, you are not forced to always use external tank.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATED: Champion Extended Run Kit

Disclaimer: I have not personally used these parts yet but I do intend to in the next few weeks and will post a follow-up. If you are unsure about the research and parts list discerned from the video, consider just buying the Pinellas kit (link to buy is on the youtube page with the Pinellas video.)

Based on research of several Champion 3100 mods and comments from others, a DIY parts list has been assembled for the Champion 3100 Extended Run kit. The screen shot PDF contains a photo of each part as it's to be installed and includes comments on purpose etc. Both the parts list and the commented screen shots are located at the message board linked below. Parts are sourceable at Amazon. Total price is now about $74. 6 gal. Tank and Tank Hose if you need them are an additional $87.

Champion now sells a 3400 watt model and a 3400 watt Duel Fuel model in addition to the various 3100 models. A Parallel kit that supports running two 3100 or 3400 is also available. The Extended Run Kits will work for any Champion 3100/3400 unit except the New Dual Fuel 3400. The fuel selector knob that the Extended kit uses to select between onboard gas tank vs. external gas tank is used by the Dual Fuel 3400 to select between Gas vs. Propane thus you cannot use this kit for that model.

Follow this link to the message board for the message titled "UPDATED: Champion Extended Run Kit". There you will find these 2 PDF's posted. The link to view/download the PDF's is here:

DIY Parts List for Champion 3100 Extended Run Kit

• File "Champion 3100 Extended Fuel DIY finalv2 materials.PDF" is the correct parts list. Everything sourced from Amazon.
  • File "Champion 3100 Extended Fuel DIY finalv2 screens.PDF" has a collection of screen captures from the video showing where and how each part is used. The screens are in order from the video left to right.

The step-by-step instructions for installation is in the very detailed Pinellas video. This is the link to the youtube video by Mr. Pinellas:

Pinellas Extended Run Kit for Champion 3100
Visited States

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Hbillsmith - good info - so did you purchase the pinellas kit? install yourself? If so how many hours do you have on the unit since the install? Any issues? Thanks again
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
The Pinellas design for the Champion inverters includes adding a diaphragm mechanical fuel pump that is driven by tapping into the mamifolds vacuum pressure with a 'Y' connector inserted into the standard hose that runs between the airbox and the OHV. There's a detailed youtube showing how to add the options to DIY.

Order parts thru Amazon for about $70 or just buy the Pinellas kit from bottomlinetrading.com $199. This is not a hose-in-the-gas-cap option and the external tank can be on the ground below or next to the 3100. That fuel pump and air drive design is what Honda and others use for riding lawn mowers.

You cannot just drop a fuel line into a modified tank cap on a Champion 3100 and locate an external tank above for gravity feed. By the way, the Pinellas design uses the 3100's fuel selector knob to let you choose between onboard vs external tank. I like leaving my internal tank dry and only using the external. Makes storage and draining a lot easier.
Visited States

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the generator. Honda 2000 watt models are easy because of the fuel pump. However, other models will have to have the tank located higher than the generator's fuel tank in order to work.