cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

charging battery on toad

MegB
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a Matrix and am wondering if it makes sense to use a battery charger to keep it charged along the way. It has to be set on ACC for it to be towed and the battery dies after a few days. I have had some luck running it each night for 10-15 mins. and/or unhooking and driving it after a few days of towing,but want to avoid all that. I was reading about the NOCO Genius chargers but am still confused about which one I'd need. Thanks,Meg
17 REPLIES 17

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MegB wrote:
I appreciate all the advice,however I really just want to know about getting a battery charger....not about all the other things I could do instead. I don't have the knowledge to install things nor do I want to pay the big bucks to have it done for me. Just was curious about the charger versus running it at stops. Does anyone know anyone who uses a charger???

I know you asked about a charger but that means installing something too. IMHO do some research or post on 'which fuse to pull' for your model car.

THAT would be a 'real' easy thing for you to do to rectify the problem.

Also check that your radio is off, heat and A/C fan off, courtesy light off AND your auto headlight switch is turned to manual. You might be draining more if any of these items are on.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried the Brake Buddy 39332 towed vehicle battery charger. It has had good reviews but I don't see any details, not even on the Brake Buddy site.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only "charger" is this one as recommended earlier. However, like any other charger, you will have to install it.

The debate was about whether this was worth the money as opposed to just a wire, a diode, and 2 fuses. A wire, a diode, and 2 fuses would take exactly the same installation.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a battery charger but I don't use it routinely. Occasionally I have towed the car too long and the battery has died but more often I have accidentally left the lights on. The charger is real handy then.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MegB
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the advice,however I really just want to know about getting a battery charger....not about all the other things I could do instead. I don't have the knowledge to install things nor do I want to pay the big bucks to have it done for me. Just was curious about the charger versus running it at stops. Does anyone know anyone who uses a charger???

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
debandi wrote:
I have read many stories about batteries going dead while being towed. I have towed a HONDA CRV and a Saturn VUE for many miles and have never had a battery go dead.
I feel bad because its not happened to me.

If you feel REALLY bad about it, turn on the toad's headlights the next time you tow. :B

SCVJeff wrote:
All these diode posts and no one solves the current limiting problem for $.75.
If somehow the toad battery gets run down, no fuse, and you plug it back into the coach, there is an excellent chance of letting all the magic smoke out.

Huh? The current limiting device is the fuse. You ALWAYS fuse both sides of a charge line, right at the batteries. You fuse it to protect the wiring, and if the current exceeds that, the fuse blows.

There is no risk of "letting the smoke out" other than that. If you ran 1/0 wire, you could send the full output of the alternator safely.
Bobbo and Lin

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
All these diode posts and no one solves the current limiting problem for $.75.
If somehow the toad battery gets run down, no fuse, and you plug it back into the coach, there is an excellent chance of letting all the magic smoke out.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
I have read many stories about batteries going dead while being towed. I have towed a HONDA CRV and a Saturn VUE for many miles and have never had a battery go dead.
I feel bad because its not happened to me.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
Horsedoc wrote:
While I am friends with the guy who owns RVupgrades, that seems like a lot to pay for something you can do with a length of wire run battery to battery and a fuse and holder. You are not going to be pulling any major amps like starting the engine, just maintenance voltage.

If you examine what all comes with the Toad Charge, you will find you get a lot more than a length of wire and fuse.

You bet. You also get a 75 cent diode :B

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am SO glad I got a Subaru. No fuses to pull. No stopping to run engine. No dead batteries.

That is all too much like work.
Bobbo and Lin

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have to start my toad around every 250 mile per owners manual.

Haven't had a dead battery in 6 years of traveling. Never could understand all the posts about dead batteries, running charger wires etc etc.

That is until the one time when I was I was close to my destination and blew off the 250 mile start. Arrived......with a dead toad battery. Didn't realize that my starts for the trans also charged the battery. :S

Sooo "I" know for a fact that if you start it for 5-10 minutes every 250 miles, when you stop to rest or fuel up, it keeps the battery charged! :B

I'm surprised at how many of you have toads that you do not have to start them to keep the trans oil cool. Baring the ones that have installed disconnects.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
While I am friends with the guy who owns RVupgrades, that seems like a lot to pay for something you can do with a length of wire run battery to battery and a fuse and holder. You are not going to be pulling any major amps like starting the engine, just maintenance voltage.

If you examine what all comes with the Toad Charge, you will find you get a lot more than a length of wire and fuse.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:

You need more isolation than just a fuse. Otherwise current will feed back into MH from toad.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a 6 or 7 pin electrical connector on your MH you could simply run a wire from that hot connection to the TOAD and then through a diode and 20 amp fuse and then connect directly to TOAD battery. The TOAD will be charged anytime the MH engine is running and the diode will prevent reverse current from the TOAD to the MH. Probably $20 in parts