cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chev Equinox all wheels down

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
Good day to all my RV'ing friends. I recently purchased a 2016 Chev Equinox. I have fitted it with Blue OX baseplate and tow bar and completed all the wiring plus a Patriot brake system. I also fitted a by pass switch to the fuse 32. All works well.
My question to those that tow the Equinox is this. The manual states to run the engine at each fuel stop, to lubricate the transmission.
What distance have you travelled or hours before you have done this?
Thank you....
Retired Professor of C.A.D.D
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W Gas pusher with GM Vortec 8.1 L & Allison 6 speed.
In Tow: 2016 Chev Equinox LT. Blue Ox tow bar, Patriot braking etc.
Companion: My Wife Rita
13 REPLIES 13

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
There is a hot with key off 12v outlet drivers side rear compartment in our 2012 Equinox. I just bought a 6' extension for my RVI2 braking system.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
This reply is for The Works member. Yes the cig lighter is dead when ignition is at Aux. I hooked up a cig lighter unit from a spare constantly live terminal in the fuse compartment. I installed the cig unit below the dash. Don't forget to put a fuse in this line. I now just plug in the Patriot to this outlet, and have a bypass switch for fuse 32. I have no battery drain when towing.

NBN-cruisers
Explorer
Explorer
ProffCadd,
We've been towing a 2011 Equinox for a couple years now. I think the manual says to run it a few minutes (3-5) about every 3 hrs or so. I do that and put it in reverse for 15 seconds, then drive for about 15-30seconds, then to neutral and then shut it off as described in the manual. Works fine for us.

Nick

The_Works
Explorer
Explorer
Profcadd wrote:
Good day to all my RV'ing friends. I recently purchased a 2016 Chev Equinox. I have fitted it with Blue OX baseplate and tow bar and completed all the wiring plus a Patriot brake system. I also fitted a by pass switch to the fuse 32. All works well.
My question to those that tow the Equinox is this. The manual states to run the engine at each fuel stop, to lubricate the transmission.
What distance have you travelled or hours before you have done this?
Thank you....

Profcadd...we have the exact tow vehicle and blueox setup that you have. How do you get power to the Patriot when in use? Our cigarette lighter doesn't work with the ignition switch in the AUX position. Do you know for sure that your coach is charging the Equinox battery while your travelling? Our battery doesn't get charged and will be dead after short 200 mile trip.

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks JQgolf. Appreciate your input. We just returned from a trip, and like you say: No problem.

JQgolf
Explorer
Explorer
We have been pullng a 2010 Equinox for the last 3.5 years and have had no problems with it. On really long days (more than 300 miles), we usually run it for 3-5 minutes when we stop to eat or gas up. Never had a problem.

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input. It seems that letting it run every 200-250 miles seems to be the average answer to my question. Thank you...

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuel stop distances can vary greatly. On our diesel, we only fuel up every 750 miles or so and is more than a days travels for sure! I would think at a rest break or around 250 miles would find me turning the key and letting it run. Easy to do.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it also says to run the engine in neutral for at least three minutes before putting in gear after towing for some distance.

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
I have never ran engine while at a fuel stop. Most of the time I travel from park to park seldom more than 350 miles a day. If I had a long day I might run engine at a rest stop.

The bottom line here is the manual has let us know that at certain intervals the engine needs to be run to lubricate the transmission. So a little common sense, if you think it's that time at a rest stop, fuel stop or something else, just run it. Better safe than sorry.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Equinox and this from the owner's manual Page 10-68

Dinghy Towing Front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive vehicles may be dinghy towed from the front. These vehicles can also be towed by placing them on a platform trailer with all four wheels off of the ground. For other towing options, see โ€œDolly Towingโ€ following in this section. For vehicles being dinghy towed, the vehicle should be run at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for about five minutes. This will ensure proper lubrication of transmission components.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an Equinox but run mine when I stop at a rest area for the dogs. Only takes a few minutes and you are done.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have similar requirements in my Suzuki manuals. I run mine every 200-250 miles. Manual says 200 for five minutes in gear. Mine are four wheel drive and running circulates lubricant in transmission and transfer case. Slightly different then Equinox.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker