cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class B vs. Class C, of same length?

Guysakar
Explorer
Explorer
Preface: I am not talking about class B vans, but the larger class B. I have included an image of the type I am looking at. Not this exact model, though. Just a reference.

Hi guys, I am planning on mostly going to campsites off the beaten path and am looking at shorter units (22-26 feet) for around $25K.

I am seeing both class C and class B's in this price and length range.

I like the way the class B's look (more sturdy/compact) but the class C's seem to be cheaper $. Plus, the above cab space seems to be wasted in the class B, but does that translate into more MPG (aerodynamics of the wind deflector)?

I am going to be solo camping mostly in places that have no paved roads, and am looking for units with a slide. I will be towing a small trailer and motorcycle, occasionally in the mountains.

Gas mileage is an important factor to me, but overall reliability and maintenance issues are paramount (does one type tend to leak more, need to be sealed more often, etc...)

Do you think I would be happier with a C or B, or equally happier with either?

Side note: I know, condition, etc... is a more important factor, but all of those factors being equal.

Thank you all very much for any help.

34 REPLIES 34

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Reading your original post, you set two conditions which are usually incompatible: off-road and $25,000. Indeed, most of the $50,000 RV's that I have seen at shows look like they would disintegrate about two miles down a fire road.

To your other point, Class B vs. Class C, I recently spent a lot of time comparing Sportsmobile 4x4 vans to my Malayan Tiger. The Sportsmobile, a Class B, is a lot smaller on the inside, because of the curved sidewalls. Interestingly enough, some were also larger on the outside as they were littered with exterior storage boxes and spare tires. Several of the people who toured our Malayan at Overland EXPO were Sportsmobile owners who loved the 4x4 of their vans, but commented that they found the Sportsmobile to be a great weekend warrior, but much less comfortable for extended trips.

Scholars differ on all of these points, of course, and my wife and I did live in the back of a '72 Blazer for 90 days once, crossing the Sahara, but if there is any way that you can work the finances, I think that you would find a Tiger motorhome to be just what you are looking for. That or one of the more narrow truck campers, like the Northstar.

Best wishes, whatever you choose.
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
We are doing pretty much what your original post listed-we purchased our Winnebago Aspect 23D new in 2005 and have towed our custom trailer with a motorcycle across the US. I built the trailer to haul our kayaks and my enduro motorcycle. Check out the link in my signature to see our set-up. It has worked very well over the years to get us into those Forrest Service campgrounds that are "off the beaten path". No 4x4 by any means but, just another way to have fun.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Seconding My Roadtrek's post.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I was the Moderator of the Class B ( CVC) forum for many years. I would like to try and clear up a few things.

The manufacture calls this a B+ It is 29' and has 3 slides. It just lacks an overhead bunk.

Here are some facts.
A B+ is nothing but a marketing term to take advantage of an unsurspecting buyer, to make him think he is getting the quality of a true Class B. This started back in 2002 when Class C sales were down, but Class B sales were going strong.
A B+ is just a slightly different designed Class C. They can range from 22' to 30', and maybe longer.
RIVA does not recognize a Type called a B+
A "B+" as are all Class C's are built on a cut-away chassis.
A Class B starts out as a van, and then is converted, some may have a fiberglass rear body added, but if it started off as a van then it is a Class B. Length is not a factor in determining what class the RV is, it is purely based on chassis type.
There are 24' Class B's built on the MB chassis.

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guysakar wrote:
Is this true? Does the B+ have advantages over the C, that makes it worth it to give up the extra storage and space that comes with a C?

Yes, most B+'s are more aerodynamic that most C's, and most B+'s will get better fuel mileage.

Also, on most B+'s, the over the roof edge is all fiberglass with no seams, which reduces the chances of leaks - which can be a problem with C's, most of which do have seams on the leading edges of the roof corners.

To see what B+'s look like, check out the photos at http://www.coachhouserv.com/

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

Guysakar
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I have researched this until my head is spinning. I have read where some say the "B+" style does have a different body type than the C style, and is less prone to leaks, and has better aerodynamics thus less wear and tear on drive train, better MPG, etc... However, I am not seeing any conformation on this.

Is this true? Does the B+ have advantages over the C, that makes it worth it to give up the extra storage and space that comes with a C?

Guysakar
Explorer
Explorer
wwfloyd wrote:
Ugh, forget sleeping on the floor. You're on the right track with the dinette, a la the rear twin beds in Bs like the RoadTrek Popular 190 (I don't know about current models; I'm personally looking for an older Dodge model).

With the twin beds, keep one with a mattress, and the other bare, for when you would otherwise be sleeping on the floor.

In my own case, I have GERD issues, so sleep on a bed that has the head elevated 7 to 8 inches (full bed incline works much better than foam wedges). I intend to modify one twin with the incline and some extra width, and keep the other side for sitting.

Guysakar wrote:
I sometimes have back problems and need to sleep on the floor, and finding a true B van model with enough room to "comfortably" sleep on the floor is proving to be a challenge. I wonder how much of that stuff I can rip out, to open up the floor space, and how much of it is permanently there. Like the dinette booth and table thing. I wonder if those boxes underneath can be removed to open up the floor space.

I think you might be on to something with the bare twin. Great idea. Would be the same as sleeping on floor. Thank you for that.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
wwfloyd wrote:
Sorry, your van lengths are wrong. I've recently been looking at stats, and doing my own measurements. With the extended Ford E-series, I was going to have to remove the front passenger seat to get a 14-foot kayak loaded (straight in, rather than diagonal). And, the E-series extended is 20 inches longer than the standard length van. If you have an E-350 with the space you've noted, then you have something other than an off-the-line van.

tatest wrote:
For your own build, a van like the Express or E-Series has about six feet of usable width inside, and I know the E-series has just under 20 feet length behind the front row of seats, standard length, and another 40 inches on the extended length. Chevy Express numbers are similar, might be more generous in length, and the Express does not have an interior wall to get in the way of conversion work. Sprinter, Ram Promaster, Transit, I don't know usable dimensions. I'm working with a E-350 so I know what space that has inside.

When I read the numbers, realized they have to be wrong. I was picking up volume numbers when looking for length. Can't be 20 feet behind the seats if only 18 foot long outside. Need to find the upfitter's specs.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wwfloyd
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, your van lengths are wrong. I've recently been looking at stats, and doing my own measurements. With the extended Ford E-series, I was going to have to remove the front passenger seat to get a 14-foot kayak loaded (straight in, rather than diagonal). And, the E-series extended is 20 inches longer than the standard length van. If you have an E-350 with the space you've noted, then you have something other than an off-the-line van.

tatest wrote:
For your own build, a van like the Express or E-Series has about six feet of usable width inside, and I know the E-series has just under 20 feet length behind the front row of seats, standard length, and another 40 inches on the extended length. Chevy Express numbers are similar, might be more generous in length, and the Express does not have an interior wall to get in the way of conversion work. Sprinter, Ram Promaster, Transit, I don't know usable dimensions. I'm working with a E-350 so I know what space that has inside.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Hey...if you gotta pull a trailer anyway, why not look at small TT's and a truck to haul your motorcycle in the bed? Consider 4X4 truck for off road.

Might be cheaper in the long run and give you easier/better mode of transportation in bad weather. Likely would give you the extra living space you want. Just a thought.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

wwfloyd
Explorer
Explorer
Ugh, forget sleeping on the floor. You're on the right track with the dinette, a la the rear twin beds in Bs like the RoadTrek Popular 190 (I don't know about current models; I'm personally looking for an older Dodge model).

With the twin beds, keep one with a mattress, and the other bare, for when you would otherwise be sleeping on the floor.

In my own case, I have GERD issues, so sleep on a bed that has the head elevated 7 to 8 inches (full bed incline works much better than foam wedges). I intend to modify one twin with the incline and some extra width, and keep the other side for sitting.

Guysakar wrote:
I sometimes have back problems and need to sleep on the floor, and finding a true B van model with enough room to "comfortably" sleep on the floor is proving to be a challenge. I wonder how much of that stuff I can rip out, to open up the floor space, and how much of it is permanently there. Like the dinette booth and table thing. I wonder if those boxes underneath can be removed to open up the floor space.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll be happier with one that has dual rear wheels. Especially where you intend to travel off road with it.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
There's a guy who used to build some interior 'furniture' kits for Sprinters & other vans for owner installation. Not sure that's part of his business model or not, but give his web site a look: www.moreheaddesignlab.com.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guysakar wrote:
Thank you very much for your responses. I read every one of them and got an education.

I am thinking I may try and find a true B model. I guess, at the end of the day, I can't have a roomy interior and compact exterior. Damn laws of physics, I curse thee.

I was considering going the Sprinter rout as someone mentioned, but everything I hear about their reliability and maintenance cost just scares me away.

Buying a Sprinter and converting it myself (I don't need much) seemed very desirable, as I think I could actually get my motorcycle inside of it with little issue (no trailer = huge +). But again, the more I researched, the more nervous I got.

Off to RV Trader and CL. Thanks again for all of the help. Great responses and information. Thank you.

One of the guys I worked with in the Air Force carried his motorcycle in the "middle" space of his 2nd generation VW Type 2 camper. I don't remember whether his was a Westfalia or Sportmobile conversion (we had three of them in our work group, not remember who had which). The motorcycle was a TR-120, and he got it in by taking out the table. Now, a TR was a pretty big bike for its day, but in our era of supersize everything it might be considered small.

Vans today are a whole lot bigger than a 2nd generation Type 2, and there is a lot of space to work out furnishings vs. floorspace and load space, if you make your own decisions about what goes in and where it goes. You buy a ready-made B motorhome and those decisions have been made, no consideration for carrying large cargo items. Due to the nature of the market, the prices that have to be asked, B motorhomes tend to be loaded with luxuries for living, nicely finished, and not built as cargo haulers.

Sportmobile builds multi-purpose conversions, range from type B luxury motorhome to spaces built first purpose as toy haulers, people haulers or work spaces for business or hobby, second purpose as some space to live. They've probably already worked out how to build around a motorcycle, as well as load and unload it, and anchor it down when loaded.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B