cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cold weather camping

larryherrington
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is going to a conference in Lafayette, Indiana the 2nd week of February. I would like to take her and stay in the our 27' coachman freelander. I have never camped in cold weather before. What do I need to know?
39 REPLIES 39

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
K3WE wrote:
He wasn't scared off. He thanked everyone and decided, in light of what he has learned, to go the hotel route. His wife is attending a conference, it's not a camping trip.

Ok, campers cannot be used when attending conferences.

Must have missed that when I read the owners manual. Seemed like it could have been fun.

Or maybe you're ok with taking sponge baths parked in a truck stop at 10below zero, while trying to do your hair and makeup and put on your dress clothes to go to a decidedly white collar function in the middle of winter survival camping.
The best part is the OP appeared to not have much cold weather experience, so that could be even more of an adventure! From actually making the trip, to staying warm, to roughing it for a formal event.
Yeah that sounds awesome.......not.
He asked a valid question, got some good things to think about and moved on.
I'll sleep in my snowmachine trailer with a cot and buddy heater, pack into the backcountry and sleep in a hamkock with a tarp over me, camp with no water, wash up in the crick before and or after fishing in it. LOVE those type of trips. BUT when I go to a business event and have to wear a monkey suit for 3 days, the last thing in my mind is how do I keep the water from freezing in my camper!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
He wasn't scared off. He thanked everyone and decided, in light of what he has learned, to go the hotel route. His wife is attending a conference, it's not a camping trip.

Ok, campers cannot be used when attending conferences.

Must have missed that when I read the owners manual. Seemed like it could have been fun.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
K3WE wrote:
Wow- I agree- too many negative comments. I see that the OP was scared off.

Many good comments- a camping mentality is good- doing without running water can be a great simplification (drinking water from the store & sponge baths) furnaces suck propane, space heaters do not.

We have many positive winter experiences.

You CAN fill the water tank, maybe some pink stuff in holding tanks... if you can keep the heat on and want to rewiinterize....

Everything with a camper/MH is some work, but we do this for fun, right? No foul if you donโ€™t want to, but sad to see the discouraging comments.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Wow- I agree- too many negative comments. I see that the OP was scared off.

Many good comments- a camping mentality is good- doing without running water can be a great simplification (drinking water from the store & sponge baths) furnaces suck propane, space heaters do not.

We have many positive winter experiences.

You CAN fill the water tank, maybe some pink stuff in holding tanks... if you can keep the heat on and want to rewiinterize....

Everything with a camper/MH is some work, but we do this for fun, right? No foul if you donโ€™t want to, but sad to see the discouraging comments.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
The sad truth is .....it is totally dependent upon the design of the camper. We have spent many nights at -20 F and a few at or below a -30F. and had โ€œnoโ€ freeze issues, with minimal things done to the unit. The heater was still cycling, though....it wasnโ€™t off for very long periods of time! Most units cannot handle single digit F temperatures, ours had a factory warranty to a -20 F. Even โ€œifโ€ the unit is designed for cool temperatures, you will burn a lot of propane.

We just finished a 2 week boondocking trip, with a couple of nights below zero F.....we burned-thru about 40 to 45 gallons of propane! But....we were comfortable and the water kept flowing!

Many think that no RV can handle below zero temperatures....possibly the same folks that think the earth is flat!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, there are campers that are rated for cold weather, like the Arctic Fox, but your still going to have a lot of problems as described above.I'm in 31 degree's in my Greyhawk right now, and two electric space heaters are holding it well, but if it got a lot colder I'm not so sure.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
old guy wrote:
go ahead and while you are at it start looking for a new RV to buy next year after yours freezes over. I am not a fan of winter camping
Lol, really?
While, I's stay in a hotel vs dragging a camper to Indiana in February, it can be done. Just more spartan, more work or less amenities, like water, than when it's warm.

Depends if the wife needs full amenities or not. She's going to a conference, not a hiking trip.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

larryherrington
Explorer
Explorer
Than to all for the advice. I will stay in a hotel and keep my camper home in Mississippi. If it gets below 80 degrees, it is cold.

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Lafayette is a nice college town with lots of history. Cold weather camping is a crapshoot because you do not know if you will be in a mild climate or its going to really cut loose. Best you can do is find out what campgrounds if any are open and then reach out to them and tell them what you are thinking of doing and then keep an eye on the weather.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Don't listen to the negative Nellies. We have often camped in cold weather. Bring small electric heaters to suppliment your furnace.Fill water tank and use that. If you leave the hose on over night it could freeze. Don't leave sewer hose hooked up.Use it only when you need to dump.We also put a large pot of water on low to put some humidity into the air. Of course only do that while you're awake.Have fun.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to live there, and I completely agree with folks that mentioned that travel may be more of a problem than camping. It might be nice weather or it might be terrible, with icy roads. If her conference is at Purdue Univ (West Lafayette, right next to Lafayette) then you might enjoy staying at the Student Union, which has a hotel (or at least used to have one). Very nice, old building in the middle of campus.

As John Denver once said when doing a concert at Purdue: "Ain't no one laughing in Lafayette!" And "Lafayette..what a great town. Gateway to Delphi, Badger Grove and Montmorenci!"

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I just got back from dragging our TT from Virginia to Albuquerque and back for the Balloon Fiesta. I did that in part because I dislike hotels and prefer my own bed, bath, and kitchen. I grew up in Northern Ohio, which has pretty much the same weather as Indiana. I also recommend a hotel over the RV. Highly. By a lot.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œWhat do I need to know?โ€œ

Do lots of reading regarding cold weather camping then ask away. Are you an experienced outdoors person? For instance is your vehicleโ€™s windshield washer fluid rated for zero? Or 32 and above common in warmer areas?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I see you're in Mississippi. How is your winter driving ability? Indiana roads in February, are likely to be wet, slippery, icy, and/or snowy. A poorly timed winter storm could have you driving your MH in some very challenging conditions, or sitting somewhere waiting it out.

I second the hotel suggestion.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I doubt there is any campground open in/near Lafayette in February. We lived in central Indiana for over 40 years. Not fun in the winter. You might get lucky with the weather, but then again, chances are NOT. And getting lucky just means no ice or deep snow. Whether will still be cold. And we've never found anything we would even like there. The closest we found we would stay in was Remington, Indiana.

Best advice is to drive up and stay in a nice hotel.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/