cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Conflicting info on levelling with stabilizing jacks or not.

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has 4 levelling jacks; each corner. Plus the tongue jack.

I have read that people use a block of wood under the tires to level side to side. I could do that when I am very off but I don't see myself carrying and adjusting shims of wood until it is level.

So... Can I use the scissor jacks to raise it a little but to make the level perfect? Yesterday I used the back right corner with my ratchet to raise it maybe 1/2-1" and the 3 other corners just with the drill until contact with the block of wood.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30
19 REPLIES 19

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
Absolutely nothing conflicting about this...they are for exactly what they are called..stabilizing jacks - not leveling jacks.
They are not designed to lift/level and neither is the frame of you trailer.

For side to side, drive up on (shims) as you call them, or get your self a set of very handy, lightweight, easy to store and easy to use Lynx Levelers.

+1

"A small amount" means no inches. Not 1 inch, not 1/2 inch, no inches, zero, nada. The idea is simply to make the jack base tight against the ground. If you actually lift the trailer, you will require the frame to flex a bit, which it was not designed to do, and you can bend it, which will cause a host of other problems from leaking roof seams to cracked plumbing drain pipes.

Driving up on shims, either wooden blocks or those orange plastic ones, your choice, is the way it is done. Once level, you lower the jacks and crank them down just enough so that they are tight against the ground. Their function is simply to take the bounce otherwise built into the springs out of walking around inside the trailer.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely nothing conflicting about this...they are for exactly what they are called..stabilizing jacks - not leveling jacks.
They are not designed to lift/level and neither is the frame of you trailer.

For side to side, drive up on (shims) as you call them, or get your self a set of very handy, lightweight, easy to store and easy to use Lynx Levelers.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
From Skyline manual:
"5. Lower stabilizer jacks, placing wood block under foot as necessary, until they make firm con- tact with ground โ€” Do Not Overtighten or try to lift trailer except for small amount needed to level."

What is a small amount needed? Is 1" a small amount? Earlier step is

"2. Before uncoupling, level the trailer from side to side with suitable lengths of 2โ€ x 6โ€ wood blocks under the trailer wheels. Place the wood blocks on the ground forward of the wheels, and tow the trailer onto the blocks. Block the wheels to be sure the trailer cannot roll."

So anything smaller than what I can do with a 2" piece of wood is OK to do with the jacks? Or should I bring 1" and 1/2" pieces too? I would have liked a hard number of where the limit is.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
You are talking about stabilizer jacks at each corner of your trailer not leveling jacks. Stabilizers are not made to handle the weight of your trailer. Read your owners manual. Use the wooden blocks under the tires for leveling.
HR

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Where does the "conflicting information" come from? Everything I have ever read or heard say not to use the stabilizing jacks to level a camper, thus the name stabilizing jacks not leveling jacks. Just curious as to where you read or heard otherwise.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."