cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Contemplating towing

GoalstoDreams
Explorer
Explorer
I will be full-timing in a little over 7 months. I have not yet purchased my RV although I am leaning toward a small Class A gas rig (Winnebago Vista 26P or comparable). I own a 2011 Crown Vic and would like to tow it behind the motorhome on my travels. I've done some initial research but being a single woman, I don't believe (nor completely understand) everything I am reading. Here's what I've learned and/or am planning for:

Looks like the rig's towing capacity is sufficient for the car (capacity 5000 lbs, car weighs in at just over 4100). I plan to install a Remco drive shaft disconnect system in the car so that I can tow 4 down. I also plan to install a brake assist system. I've read that a transmission cooler on the rig is a good idea when towing (especially if any climbing is to be done). I've heard mixed reviews on the Banks systems...some saying it is imperative for extra power on gas rigs; others saying it is a waste of money. And finally, I'd like some advice on what type of tow bar set-up would be best.

Thoughts/opinions on any of this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.

Sue
Arizona
http://sehow1966.wordpress.com
11 REPLIES 11

GoalstoDreams
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. You have all given me lots to think about and consider. I'm on my way to a solution, I think, and it doesn't involve towing the Crown Vic.

Thanks again!

Sue
Sue
Arizona
http://sehow1966.wordpress.com

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I had a drive shaft disconnect. Hated it.
bumpy

I had a rear wheel drive Ford Ranger that would have needed a drive shaft disconnect in order to flat tow it. I hated to get rid of the it but I decided not to risk ruining a perfectly good truck by installing a drive shaft disconnect that might cause vibrations, so I traded it in for a 2009 smart car.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
GoalstoDreams wrote:
I will be full-timing in a little over 7 months. I have not yet purchased my RV although I am leaning toward a small Class A gas rig (Winnebago Vista 26P or comparable). I own a 2011 Crown Vic and would like to tow it behind the motorhome on my travels. I've done some initial research but being a single woman, I don't believe (nor completely understand) everything I am reading. Here's what I've learned and/or am planning for:

Looks like the rig's towing capacity is sufficient for the car (capacity 5000 lbs, car weighs in at just over 4100). I plan to install a Remco drive shaft disconnect system in the car so that I can tow 4 down. I also plan to install a brake assist system. I've read that a transmission cooler on the rig is a good idea when towing (especially if any climbing is to be done). I've heard mixed reviews on the Banks systems...some saying it is imperative for extra power on gas rigs; others saying it is a waste of money. And finally, I'd like some advice on what type of tow bar set-up would be best.

Thoughts/opinions on any of this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.

I'd trade the Ford for another toad if I were you and a little Jeep 4x4 would be an excellent choice, whether a Liberty or Wrangler and our preference as well. Go with the NSA READYBRUTE/ELITE setup for simplicity, effectiveness, ease of maintenance and the best bang for the buck. Forget the banks system, as this money can be best spent elsewhere as you go along. Your rig should already have a transmission oil cooler installed and many have some means for the engine oil as well, with ours utilizing part of the A/C condenser. The transmission is the first thing to suffer when overloaded, so if adding the toad's loaded weight to the coach's loaded weight comes anywhere close or below the GCWR, then you should be good to go. Your hitch is most likely 5K lbs max (check it out) and the READYBRUTE'S bars are rated at 8K, so plenty of latitude there.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
Personally I would get another "toad". The Crown Vic would be more trouble than it is worth for full timing in my opinion. A Honda CRV/Chevy Equinox type toad is cheaper to outfit and easier to tow. Not trying to be negative, just my opinion. Good Luck!

I agree. Find a vehicle that can be towed WITHOUT modification of any kind! No drive shaft disconnect, No lube pump, NO modifications other than the installation of the towbar!
If you must have a vehicle with automatic transmission, get a front wheel drive and tow it on a dolly. That's what I do with our PT Cruiser. It works fine.
As for what towbar/braking system to purchase, IMO there is only one intelligent choice: The ReadyBrute towbar with integrated braking system. Simple, mechanical, VERY few reported problems; it just does the job it was designed to do, and does it quite well!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
Personally I would get another "toad". The Crown Vic would be more trouble than it is worth for full timing in my opinion. A Honda CRV/Chevy Equinox type toad is cheaper to outfit and easier to tow. Not trying to be negative, just my opinion. Good Luck!

that is NOT negative IMHO. it is a positive suggestion concerning the OPs issue.
bumpy

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

brobox
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

X2 every part on mine has been replace at least once, some twice. We are shopping for a new "towable" toad now. My disconnect after the second year turned to absolute junk!
Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
GoalstoDreams,
You have a PM.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those d'shaft disconnects are love/hate. People've used them for years and been pleased. Others can't stand them. I haven't had one but from what I read, a good deal of trouble stems from a less-than-perfect install of the cable that does the release/engage. But there've also been issues with road debris, like pieces of gravel, getting into the mechanism. Fair amount of talk about having to go under and free it, lube it or clean it. If you're towing a pickup truck, you can maybe get under enough to accomplish that. Crown Vic is going to be too low to get any access.
There should be plenty of used driveshafts for that car. I'd suggest getting one, reconditioning it, and installing the disconnect in it. Then you have an easy fallback if the disconnect has to be worked on.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

mlynds
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a much smaller unit than the crown vic. We tow a 2008 smart car behind out 37 foot mirada. We use a blue ox system we like it. once the tow bar is removed and the studs are removed you cant even see that there is a tow bar on the front of the car. very easy to hook up.It was either the tow bar or a bike rack (just kidding)we went with the tow bar. congratulations on going full time. my wife and i have a few more years to go. We love out time on the road.