cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cruise control or not

Goodpete
Explorer
Explorer
I am fairly new to towing and I just thought about using cruise control when towing. I have taken several trips in the last year and realize that I have never used it while towing. Do you use it? Are there any concerns when doing so, other than the obvious?
36 REPLIES 36

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shocked that we haven't heard from anybody that they got an email from a police man that says if you drive in the rain with your CC on your truck will turn into a deadly airplane and go flying through the air and kill scores of people. :R
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mikegt4
Explorer
Explorer
I have had cars with CC since the 1980's and count the time that I have used it on my fingers. Never had it on a truck. Then again I don't have automatic transmissions except in full size vans where it is standard equipment.

I never could understand why people think that CC is a fuel saving device, it's NOT unless you can't control your right foot. One of my biggest pet peeves is coming up on 2 people with their CCs set 1 or 2 mph apart and one is passing the other, it takes 2 miles to get around!

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
I use it about 90% of the time. If I'm in a hilly area where the TV wants to shift in and out of OD, then I go ahead and keep it off until I'm in a little flatter area. It very seldoms shifts out of OD as long as I'm going 65MPH or more. The turbo boost gauge will shoot up to about 15 - 18 but eases back down just before shifting.
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Made a living towing trailers (non RV) with mostly one ton DRW trucks for many years and over 800k miles. I wouldn't own a truck without cruise even pulling at 25k-30k GCW. CC gave me a rest when out on the open highways.

However my foot could always get better mpgs than any CC system as it doesn't anticipate like the operator for setting up for the next grade change (up or down).
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
korbe wrote:
Nope. Most of our towing is in the hills but while towing I want to be ready for any and everything, which includes my foot on the gas and ready for the brake.

I'm actually surprise by the responses. I have NEVER used mine while towing. The above response mirrors mine. I will manual in and out of OD when the converter unlocks, but I have never used cruise while towing in 6 years of owning our trailer. I just feel like it keeps me in the game. My combo tows wonderfully, but I don't want to get lulled into a sense of security. Too much at stake. My .02.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
When I towed with my 2009 6.0L gas I absolutely could not even on flat terrain. With my 2013 6.6L Duramax I absolutely can and do.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Use it.

Some people over think this whole towing thing.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

ReferDog
Explorer
Explorer
If you have plenty of power, and it's flat to some hills , why not. I do, never had any problems, not in traffic.
ReferDog 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dura Max
Artic Fox 30U

Equlizer Hitch

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
I use it all the time except if it is wet and/or slippery. I have not had any problems with hills when we had our lightweight TT. I now have a much heavier TT and have not had it out for any long hauls yet. Going down hill the cruise with the exhaust brake holds speed well.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I like to use it. It lets me focus on things other than my speed, I can spend a little more time watching traffic than worrying about going too fast, which would be my tendency. It does depend on the vehicle and the terrain. If the vehicle withe the cruise on is doing what you would do with it off, then use it. If it causes too much erratic behavior in an attempt to maintain speed, then don't use it. I used it constantly with my wagon but haven't towed with the Suburban enough to know, I think I'll be able to use it most of the time however.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always use my CC when towing on the freeway.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I use it as much as I can, partly due to an old hip injury on the right side makes for some pain on a long day if I have to hold the pedal manually.
My Nissan is a manual transmission, so I don't have the issues of an automatic being downshifted due to an over zealous cruise control. Like others have said, I agree about not using it on rain slick ( or other slick ) roads.

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the vehicle for me. In my diesel, I used it pretty much everywhere, mountains, flats, whatever. The vehicle had no trouble keeping the speed right where I wanted it.

My 1/2 ton Suburbans have had a harder time keeping the speed right there, and will lose speed on a minor incline, overpass, etc. With the cruise on, the truck falls all over itself to keep it right at speed, and I didn't like the redline shifts to pick up the 4-5 mph I lost when I knew that I'd be able to make the speed back up on the other side of the hill with constant pressure on the pedal. So I almost never use cruse towing with my Suburban.

I haven't towed enough w/ my F150 Ecoboost to know what will work yet. I expect it will do much better than my Suburban on flat or small inclines, but I will find out soon!
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I use it as much as possible. It's the only way I can drive so slowly! It's pretty well impossible for me to drive 62mph otherwise. ๐Ÿ˜„
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page