cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custer South Dakota in October?

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We have wanted to visit the Custer South Dakota and Mount Rushmore area for several years. We have the time to head that way from Eastern Washington State in mid October this year. I'm concerned that the weather will go rapidly down hill about that time, I have read about the blizzard of 2013 where thousands of head of cattle were lost.

That being said, has anyone spent time in that area in October and/or November.

The National Weather Service reports that the average high is around 62 and the average low is around 37.

From South Dakota we would head south towards the California coast.

Thanks in advance....
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.
18 REPLIES 18

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking that the bigger problem might be the weather you could encounter in the Rockies while traveling back and forth between your home and the Black Hills. Those elevations are much higher, colder, and snowier then the Black Hills.

Someone posted yesterday that snow was forecast this week for Wyoming elevations above 5,000 ft. Don't know how that came out.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
October is a great time of the year to visit here. I live in Lead, and we have about 6" of snow on the ground right now, but it will be gone in a day or two.

Snow in the Black Hills in October is common, but it normally doesn't last. Last years October storm was a fluke. But, we didn't quite make 4 months without snow.

I haven't winterized the camper yet. I am not giving up that easy.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a matter of luck.

At that time of year the Mount Rushmore area can be gorgeous, or you could get caught in an early blizzard. Averages are averages, extremes are extremes.

Weather forecasting has reached a stage where we can now get good information four to seven days ahead. Plan the trip based on averages, pay attention to forecasts when it becomes time to go, choose to go or cancel based on that.

I would not pass up the opportunity based on the possibility of relatively rare adverse weather, but I always leave some flexibility in my travel plans to allow for such events.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I was in Custer was mid October. We arrived in mid 70's sunny weather.
We stayed 3 days and had 4-6" of snow on the ground.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. Reading the posts and see on the news that that area got its first dump of snow. But we're still planning on visiting Custer, Mount Rushmore, and the Badlands in late October.

But, we also have plan "B", which would be to head south from Washington State and hang out in California for a couple of months.... then east. Or initiate plan "C"... ๐Ÿ™‚
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I live 3 hours north of there. Great time of year. However, there is a chance a storm will move thru, like anywhere. There is a chance of snow. But, it WILL be gone in a couple days. Just stay, and enjoy the area a little longer!

A number of the "tourist traps" will be closed. But, all the parks and roads will be open. NO CROWDS!

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome feedback. Much appreciated...

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Spearfish the end of September last year for a photo workshop, colors were just starting in the canyon. When I left on the Monday after the workshop, it was 75 and sunny and we started hearing about a "winter storm". That storm turned into 3 1/2' of snow throughout the region. Always be prepared for a quick change in the weather.
Live for today for yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not guaranteed.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in Rapid City foe 9 years from '78 to '87 while I was active duty. You will find good to great weather some years and bad every now and then. The snow last year was a odd ball. We went thru North Dakota that week on our way to Great Falls ,Mt. No snow up there so go figure. In mid May of '84 Rapid City had 36" of snow in 37 hours. Gone a few days later. I would go and enjoy it.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Ellsworth AFB for a few months back when we were active duty and got there in October It has been awhile and with our crazy weather changes, it's probably not the same now, but, I really think you'll be just find as long as your prepared for the worst.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Having grown up in the Black Hills near Custer, I remember my old deer hunting days in November. Seldom was there any snow or cold weather until mid-November, so you should be fine in October. As others have said, fall is a great time and there are no crowds.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your assistance.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been going up there for the past 6 years or so; the last week sept and frst week oct.
It has snowed on us twice... About 4 inches, then warming back up.
Roads not a problem. But how much later u can push it I cant say
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I visited the area in OCT while back (non RV trip) and it was absolutely gorgeous and of course no people anywhere. It's the end of their season and some restaurants were still open while others were closed for the season. And we did have light snow on the trip back to MN. As long as you know how to handle the potential freezing temps in your RV, I think you will have a great trip. The area is Spectacular. Be sure to get to Deadwood. We like coming across SD and visiting the Badlands and Wall Drug etc.