cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel fuel additive ---- WOW !

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure some of y'all have diesel fired shop/barn heaters .
My heater was getting slow to light and when lit it smelled like an oil refinery . As an experiment I added a half cup of that cetane booster-injector cleaner stuff in my heater and it immediately fired up and emitted no smell , so far it has been a success !
I am considering adding a couple ounces to my morning coffee , what do you think ? My wife is O.K. with this cause she thinks that I emit smelly gasses also !
51 REPLIES 51

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
RCMAN46 wrote:
We have many on this forum that just like our news service have agendas and it does not matter what the subject is they have to promote those agendas.

How true!!! :B

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
We have many on this forum that just like our news service have agendas and it does not matter what the subject is they have to promote those agendas.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
After the first page I began to wonder if anyone remembered what the first post was about. :@
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started this post to advise anyone that was having trouble with a diesel heater to try the cetane boost cleaner , wow , what has man wrought ?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I give. Uncle.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, Jet A is hydrodesulphurized, crude oil contains between 10,000 PPM (for sweet Texas crude) and 30,000 PPM (for heavy Middle East crude) of sulphur.

The upper limit for sulphur in Jet A is 3,000 PPM of sulphur.

To clarify though, 'kerosene' is a class of fuels, Jet A is a kerosene, but not all kerosene is Jet A.

Just like 100LL is gasoline, but it's very different from what you pour into your vehicle.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shell Aviation Tubine fuel Jet A1 -

Shell Jet A MSDS

2 ingredients: "hydrodesulphurized" (low sulphur?) kerosene and trace of the corn.

Looks like it would burn in a kerosene heater. But possibly not much "better" than kerosene.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Makes you wonder what taking the sulfur out of our diesel fuel did that we don't need to do when it is burned in jets. I assume it was to reduce some pollutant, doesn't it get created in the jet? Does the aircraft industry have better lobbyists?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
06Fargo wrote:
. Why wouldn't aviation turbine fuel be low sulphur now too?

It is diesel injection systems that needed the sulphur for lubricity.

Economics, plain and simple.

Reducing the sulphur for no reason other than convenience would increase the cost of fuel by just over 1%.

But to put that in perspective, that would cost the aviation industry (read: everybody who flies) a total of about $1.3 to $3.8 billion per year if implemented globally, about $0.5-$1.4 billion per year for the US alone.

A typical passenger jet, an Airbus A320, burns about 665 gallons per hour.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
It was a long time ago, in a land far away...

but the inspection and flushing for Jet A was because aviation fuel customers preferred not to receive any water in their fuel. Turbines will burn pretty much anything else that might have been in the trailer in trace amounts from previous loads.

Why wouldn't aviation turbine fuel be low sulphur now too?

It is diesel injection systems that needed the sulphur for lubricity...

For best cold weather performance of your space heater you could get your hands on some Jet B aka JP-4.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
So 6 years ago they were shipping product that was illegal for the last 20+ years? Yikes!

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
At the refinery I hauled fuel from Diesel-50; Heating oil-50; Kerosene; Jet A - was all loaded from the same spout as it is the same product.

Thanks for the hilarious comments. But sorry folks, all 4 products were the same at the time. Certain tank inspection and flushing procedures took place before loading aviation Jet A but other than that it was the same refinery product.

Im a little confused at that comment.

If it's all the same product why in the world would there be "Certain tank inspection and flushing procedures"?

How long ago was this? I only ask because as of 1993 the legal limit for sulphur in diesel used on the road was 500 PPM. That means Jet A wouldn't have been street legal for more than 20 years now.

From a road-tax point of view it's never been legal, it's untaxed fuel.

Flushing was not uncommon. It helps make sure there wasn't any gasoline left in the truck when you went to load the Jet A.

I quit hauling it about 6 years ago, so I don't know if it is still the same.

In my previous post I meant to say 06Fargo was correct. Oops.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
06Fargo wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
At the refinery I hauled fuel from Diesel-50; Heating oil-50; Kerosene; Jet A - was all loaded from the same spout as it is the same product.

Thanks for the hilarious comments. But sorry folks, all 4 products were the same at the time. Certain tank inspection and flushing procedures took place before loading aviation Jet A but other than that it was the same refinery product.

Im a little confused at that comment.

If it's all the same product why in the world would there be "Certain tank inspection and flushing procedures"?

How long ago was this? I only ask because as of 1993 the legal limit for sulphur in diesel used on the road was 500 PPM. That means Jet A wouldn't have been street legal for more than 20 years now.

From a road-tax point of view it's never been legal, it's untaxed fuel.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Don't y'all just hate those gas engines...just turn the switch and go. :B
That's what I have done with my diesel since new in Feb. of '04.:)
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS