cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV vs Dish

ppworld
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a Class A diesel and need to upgrade the existing satellite receptor to HD. I have cable TV at my house but am ready to go with satellite if it makes sense. The MH already has a receiver for local channels. It appears I have two choices: Direct TV or Dish. I've heard that Dish has reception issues at times. Any thoughts on which is the better option?
20 REPLIES 20

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
I have directv in my home, vacation house, and motorhome. For the motorhome, since it did not have a satellite antenna, I bought a mobile dish for $125 that receives HD signals. I just grab a receiver box from home and place it in the MH when on a trip. I do have to dial in the satellite dish once at camp, but *usually* it is a non issue.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
TragedyTrousers wrote:
I got fed up with Direct tv when they told me I would have to set up to separate accounts, one for the RV one for the house plus I would have to pay even when I wasn't using the RV. Way to expensive. They just didn't know how to handle RVs. So when to Dish just for the RV. Plus only Dish has the only portable Dish which will do HDTV.

I've heard similar things from people at Dish. It's tough to get consistent answers from them too. If you keep trying you eventually get the answer you want. I don't think either company has their act together regarding RVs.
Larry

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
I got fed up with Direct tv when they told me I would have to set up to separate accounts, one for the RV one for the house plus I would have to pay even when I wasn't using the RV. Way to expensive. They just didn't know how to handle RVs. So when to Dish just for the RV. Plus only Dish has the only portable Dish which will do HDTV.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
Roman Duck wrote:
As I understand it; the satellite in the sky for Dish subscribers is located off of the west coast, making the angle of the receiver dish very slight. ...........

Dish has two sets of three satellites each, 110, 119, 129 in the western arc and 61.5, 72.7, and 77 for the eastern arc. You should choose the sats most available to your part of the country.

....unless you have a Winegard Trav'lr. It doesn't support the Dish eastern arc.
Larry

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both. I'm very happy with the Dish over the Direct. Just more friendly to RV use, for me anyway. I have Dish at home and just tied the RV to the home account. They charge me 5.00 per month to have the system whether I use it or not. Usually after about 1 month I call them and get a fresh signal and all is good. Customer service has been very friendly. I use the tailgater which I love.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not quite the old Chevy/Ford debate.. Here is what I advised before and now.

FIrst: A bit of info on antennas. Antennas come in two basic flavors, Domes, which can be portable, in-motion, or stationary, and DISH which are stationary only.

DISH antennas, you get the one that matches yor receiver and it works, (If properly aimed) period, they can be ground mount, or roof mount, auto or manual, does not matter, all that matters is they work period.

DOMES, however, are another matter. With a SINGLE Dish network receiver like a VIP-211,, Most modern domes work, well. Some are better than others but most work well. HD, SD, does not matter.... But install a 2nd receiver, or a dual-channel receiver/DVR. and now your joy turn to sorrow as DISH (And Direct Both) Scatter programming over 3 statllites (Birds) and sure as I'm typing you will want to look at two differnet birds, one with each receiver (not a problem for the proper DISH, but big problem wqith the DOME,, Of course you could put in two domes.

With Direct, SDTV works with the domes, but HD, no joy there period. Domes can not do direcHDTV, just DirecTV Again a DISH type antenna, works great.

Next is Network TV (ABC, CBS, NBC, Faux, And so on) what we call "Locals" DirecTV offers "Distant Network Service" so you can choose to get network TV out of NYC or LA or both for that matter ***IF*** you set it up as an RV account (Home accounts generally do not qualify) that way you can watch your favorite NETWORK shows, no matter.

Dish, is injoined from offering that service, but you can call and get your "local" changed often (so you get local locals)... Bit more work but.. Well.

Next is the programming package. Some folks like SPORTS,, me I like NASA.. NASA is on DiSH, and DirecTV is big into SPORTS. So take a look at the packages, This is my original advice before HD happened by the way, and it still stands.

Finally, Prices.. I will not name names here but one company is great at adding on price.. The other company does a decent job of it too but not nearly as good so make sure you get IN WRITING, the final cost including all taxes and fees before you sign on the line.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
K Charles wrote:
We have directv in the house and dish in the MH. you can start and stop dish pay as you go and you do t need a contract.
We have had dish for years and don't have a contract with them eat her but I think k if the box ever goes bad they might make us get one. We don't have HD with directv and the 2 boxes are about 10 years old, that's why we got dish for the MH, it has HD.

You have had dish for years and don't have a contract with them eat her but, you think k if the box ever goes bad ?????? :h

I fixed the typo, maybe I should read what I type, or what the kindle types.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Roman Duck wrote:
As I understand it; the satellite in the sky for Dish subscribers is located off of the west coast, making the angle of the receiver dish very slight. ...........

Dish has two sets of three satellites each, 110, 119, 129 in the western arc and 61.5, 72.7, and 77 for the eastern arc. You should choose the sats most available to your part of the country.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
We have directv in the house and dish in the MH. you can start and stop dish pay as you go and you do t need a contract.
We have had dish for years and don't have a contract with them eat her but I think k if the box ever goes bad they might make us get one. We don't have HD with directv and the 2 boxes are about 10 years old, that's why we got dish for the MH, it has HD.

You have had dish for years and don't have a contract with them eat her but, you think k if the box ever goes bad ?????? :h

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have had directv for years and don't have a contract with them either but I think if the box ever goes bad they might make us get one. We don't have HD with directv and the 2 boxes are about 10 years old, that's why we got dish for the MH, it has HD.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Primary difference we have noticed is the programming option on Directv for sports seems to be better. High Def IN MOTION is not available for Directv. We like DirecTV and recently replaced our Standard Definition In-Motion KVH dome with a Winegard Traveler which gives us the High Def capability. We miss the ability to record while driving or to listen the to Directv music channels while driving.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I have had them both and there is very little difference in them. Dependability is equal on reception. I have dish now because they will give me RFD-TV in my line up and I cannot be with out RFD-TV. A big difference I find is the customer service. I got the run around with Direct, but Dish will be there the next day if not sooner. I have worn out two DVRs now, but I use them for all programs except the national news. I hate commercials, so the DVR really gets a work out. They run "hot" so eventually you will have problems. Dish just sends some out to replace it and check your dish aim.

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it; the satellite in the sky for Dish subscribers is located off of the west coast, making the angle of the receiver dish very slight. This is fine if your parked/camping in a flat area or on a hilltop. But signal acquisition can be difficult in valleys, or hilly regions in the northeast.
One of our camp club members went for the dish setup and for 2 days tried to acquire a signal. Ended going back and returning the DISH dish and receiver. They bought a DTV dish and we gave them a spare receiver from our S&B. It works as good as the system in our S&B and coach.
Still not happy about ATT upping our rates
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Justaguy wrote:
I've been researching this issue also. We have had DTV for 14 years. Never had it in our RV - just never seemed to want cable there. Loved DTV and all it had to offer. But when At&t bought DTV it didn't take them long to start playing games with DTV as they do with their cell system. Wow! It's ok when getting in but getting out is another story. Terrible company IMO. I am going to try Dish when my contract with Atand T expires. If I like it we will put that in our rig. Also, watch out with ATT. They now start adding on to the contract period when you change/upgrade equipment.

X2 on changing. Since 1998 as a DTV customer, ATT bought it and our pricing went through the roof. Dropping Direct TV like a hot potato.
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations