cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disabled Parking Permits

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
In Ontario we get 50% off provincial park campgrounds if you have a valid Ontario disabled parking permit. You also do not require a fishing license. Odd, I know.

I have one. I have been asked on so many occasions, why do you have that, you look fine, what's your problem?

My hubby and I have been yelled at, cursed at and given the unofficial universal sign language on many occasions.

I do not use a disabled spot if there are only a couple of them. I always think someone may come in with a wheelchair and need the space.
Also in the campground, if I am assigned the disabled Site, I always say if someone comes in with a wheelchair we will move to another Site. Just because we get the discount does not mean we have to use a disabled Site, we can use any we choose.

I am not a senior, I do not use a wheelchair and my disability is not always noticeable.

Why do people think it is their right to harass myself and others. They think I owe them an explanation.

It is illegal for anyone, a security person, parking attendant or even a police officer to ask me why I have a permit and demand an answer.

Has anyone else had this issue? What do you do?

We have found that when someone says...do you realize that this parking spot is for a disabled person, I answer, yes I do.

We have been followed into the store with someone yelling at us the whole way into a store, only to have the manager come and say...you really need to move your truck, you obviously have no disability. Another time someone added to his non verbal words that if I could drive a truck I had no disability....Really???
83 REPLIES 83

2yung2rtire
Explorer
Explorer
I think all of us with disabilities would trade in our placard or plates to be free of it.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
puttd wrote:
Ah the irony. the disabled are telling folks to chill about who uses the disabled tag, while the non-disabled have the "panties in a wad" to use the sarge's language about the rampant fraud, even though. frankly it doesn't affect them one whit.

Point about Kennedy is a good one. Even the tan was deceptive. The reason for the tan was that he had Addison's disease, which was usually fatal then, and was heavily dependent on steroids in order to stay alive. Even the smallest of traumas could have killed him and its a miracle he did not have a life threatening crisis while in office.

In over 15 years have only been spoken to once about my "blue zone parking slot" permit for a special license plate. And while my husband was getting out from behind the steering wheel, I told the fella that anytime he wanted my neuro disease that I would gladly give it to him and would then gratefully be able to walk without pain or difficulty to the store. He said "no thanks".

Thank you for sharing about President Kennedy, that was a good example.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
RayGToo wrote:
kernewek wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
Were I was disabled to the point that I received a special parking pass I really wouldn't care what anyone else thought.

On the other hand I certainly don't pay attention to who is parking in the legal handicapped spots since I'm too busy looking for a spot of my own.

Absolutely, if someone is entitled to and legally displays a permit, it is no business of anyone else to question or comment why they are parking in a reserved spot.

Just asking the question. How does one know if someone's entitled to it and is legally displaying it? Does the mere fact that one has a placard mean that no one should question it? Seems to me that this is why there are problems.

When you have a career in law enforcement you can do it all you wish. Otherwise it's really nobody's business and they should mind their own business.

So when people do things that break the law or others find questionable - speeding, driving infractions, etc.etc. Does that give you the right to follow them and demand answers and there drivers license or legal paperwork?

There is a lot more things to be concerned about on the road vs someone you find questionable as being legally handicapped.

Good reply, "et2", and -

The following will make at least some of the RANTERS feel better.....:C..:B

In CA, besides parking in a marked handicapped spot, a handicapped person with a vehicle displaying a placard -or- a handicapped plate may park at a parking meter without paying.
They may also park in residential areas that require a parking (permit) sticker on the windshield for residents.

Not too long ago - on the local news......
1. Students parking on streets (residential parking permit req'd) around UCLA were caught by LEOs (stakeout) fraudulently using handicapped placards that didn't belong to them.

2. Downtown L.A. has *expensive* parking meters.
Ditto the above - even business owners were caught using placards that didn't belong to them (or belonged to a relative who was not present) - to avoid paying the meters.

What goes around comes around - not always, but...sometimes!..:W

BTW - the DW is handicapped - and we have never encountered the negativity some posters allude to - maybe 'cause I'm there when she goes somewhere?
(Even in the early stages of her neuropathy when she didn't use a cane or a walker - but could only walk short distances).

BTW - just a FYI for *CALIFORNIA* handicapped folks with pickups:
In CA, anything with a bed requires commercial plates.
The fee depends on the load carrying capacity.
(My 1T pickup was $225 annually - over and above the a annual registration fee.)
Registration goes down with the vehicle's age, but the commercial fee never decreases.

If you have handicapped *plates* on your truck, the weight fee is waived (for one vehicle). The plates still remains commercial, but with handicapped designation.

No - I don't park in handicapped spaces, etc. if the DW isn't with me,
but one of these days I expect someone will be unhappy when I (legally) park in a loading zone (OK for commercial vehicle).....figuring I'm taking advantage of the handicapped plates.......but I'll skip the rant when/if that happens..:W..:W

~

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
I know someone who would use her husband's placard so she could park in a handicapped spot. She wasn't handicapped in any way, and he wasn't in the car.
This was pure abuse. He's now deceased, so that scam has ended.

We went to dinner with neighbors. She has a handicapped placard. We drove and DH was going to drop the neighbors off at the restaurant's door and then go park. She whips out her placard and wants him to use it. We said no - we'd drop them off and let someone who really needs the space have it. I always did this when I was with my mother. She had a placard, but we never used it if I was driving. I dropped her off at the door.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

RayGToo
Explorer
Explorer
We'll, ya'll convinced me. I guess I'll be using a placard from now on. If ya'll want to check MY credentials to know if I'm really disabled, you can call a cop (good luck with that), otherwise y'all can buzz off. Got a few nice scars of my own too. You know I never really had much interest in this topic before, but now that I see how easy it is to beat the system, I guess I'll take advantage of it myself. After all, it's no ones business to check on me so ya'll make sure to mind your own business if you see me. There are many more things to be worried about than whether I'm really legally handicapped or not. Thanks for the info folks, it will come in real handy from now on.

(If I were only that dishonest. Or am I? You'll never know)

et2
Explorer
Explorer
RayGToo wrote:
kernewek wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
Were I was disabled to the point that I received a special parking pass I really wouldn't care what anyone else thought.

On the other hand I certainly don't pay attention to who is parking in the legal handicapped spots since I'm too busy looking for a spot of my own.

Absolutely, if someone is entitled to and legally displays a permit, it is no business of anyone else to question or comment why they are parking in a reserved spot.

Just asking the question. How does one know if someone's entitled to it and is legally displaying it? Does the mere fact that one has a placard mean that no one should question it? Seems to me that this is why there are problems.

When you have a career in law enforcement you can do it all you wish. Otherwise it's really nobody's business and they should mind their own business.

So when people do things that break the law or others find questionable - speeding, driving infractions, etc.etc. Does that give you the right to follow them and demand answers and there drivers license or legal paperwork?

There is a lot more things to be concerned about on the road vs someone you find questionable as being legally handicapped.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
If you see me use a disabled spot and want to know if I am really disabled, call a cop AND I will show him/her my credentials or pay me $100.00 and I will show you the scars.

Otherwise.....Buzz off.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
loulou57 wrote:
In Ontario we get 50% off provincial park campgrounds if you have a valid Ontario disabled parking permit. You also do not require a fishing license. Odd, I know.

I have one. I have been asked on so many occasions, why do you have that, you look fine, what's your problem?

My hubby and I have been yelled at, cursed at and given the unofficial universal sign language on many occasions.

I do not use a disabled spot if there are only a couple of them. I always think someone may come in with a wheelchair and need the space.
Also in the campground, if I am assigned the disabled Site, I always say if someone comes in with a wheelchair we will move to another Site. Just because we get the discount does not mean we have to use a disabled Site, we can use any we choose.

I am not a senior, I do not use a wheelchair and my disability is not always noticeable.

Why do people think it is their right to harass myself and others. They think I owe them an explanation.

It is illegal for anyone, a security person, parking attendant or even a police officer to ask me why I have a permit and demand an answer.

Has anyone else had this issue? What do you do?

We have found that when someone says...do you realize that this parking spot is for a disabled person, I answer, yes I do.

We have been followed into the store with someone yelling at us the whole way into a store, only to have the manager come and say...you really need to move your truck, you obviously have no disability. Another time someone added to his non verbal words that if I could drive a truck I had no disability....Really???

If you have a valid disability that is confirmed by your doctor and in some states 'must' be validated and aquired by the DMV....I don't understand why you feel you must give up any parking spot to someone in a wheel chair??

MY BIL is in a wheel chair and an advocacy for the disabled. You are disabled and have a valid parking permit USE IT! As my BIL says there are no certain percentages of disabled you either are or are not. The use of a wheel chair does not give any disabled person MORE power or need for a disabled parking space.

Although my BIL said if you do want to give up that real nice waterfront CG site to him......he might just accept your generosity. :B:W:B

The reason I give a parking spot or campsite to someone with a chair is that....with the parking, we had FIL with MS and SIL with spina bifida. My best friend had twins in chairs. If we used the ramps it was so much easier with a parking spot.....camping, our sites are perfectly level to use a chair and even have picnic tables cut out for chairs on a disabled Site. I can manage without it if someone needs it for their chair. It just makes someone else's holiday easier.

RayGToo
Explorer
Explorer
kernewek wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:

kernewek
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:

Kernewek
2006 Silverado 2500HD CC D/A 4x4
2007 Crossroads Zinger ZF27RL

"Just because I don't care, it doesn't mean I don't understand" Homer J Simpson

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
People are simply rude and inconsiderate.

I have an elderly parent living with me and I am her sole caregiver. I take her on a Mother's Day trip every year so she gets to travel somewhere that she'd like to go. When returning home this year, a guy began cursing me at a Flying J in NC because I was taking too long (he ignored the other rig that was there before I arrived).

Getting Mama out of the truck, inside and in and out of the ladies room and back out and into the truck is a long process and exhausting for her. It upset her greatly when this happened, especially because he came up to the truck when she was sitting there and was banging on the window.

People have no respect for others, especially the elderly and disabled. On the upside, this spurred me to move on with my Class A purchase so that she doesn't have to get in and out when we're traveling.
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

RayGToo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure that happens all the time.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Of course some folks use the handicapped spots because they wish to be FINANCIALLY handicapped.

A friend told two stories about one major mall..
Story one: Friend's son (Whom I have met) was letting the air out of the tires of a car without any handicapped permit, and with a driver that was.. Well clearly NOT handicapped (NOTE: Son is a medical professional) and security ask him what he was doing.. He was honest.

Guard replied "Well the cameras can see you where you are, Get over to the other side where the guards can't see you" and so he did.

Story 2: Teens zip into handicapp spot and run into the mall, Guard hollers at them and they flip him off.. Guard whistles loudly and gets attention of bootstrap crane operator. Operator picks up riggers, rigs car, picks it up and sets it atop the largest snow pile those kids had ever seen

Story 3: Woman runs into mall telling guard "I'll only be a minute" (no way), by the time she gets back car is in impound, As far from mall as it can be and still be in city.

All true. I might add I shop that same mall but have NEVER parked in a restricted (Handicapped) space.

Ya See......Enforcement works!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of course some folks use the handicapped spots because they wish to be FINANCIALLY handicapped.

A friend told two stories about one major mall..
Story one: Friend's son (Whom I have met) was letting the air out of the tires of a car without any handicapped permit, and with a driver that was.. Well clearly NOT handicapped (NOTE: Son is a medical professional) and security ask him what he was doing.. He was honest.

Guard replied "Well the cameras can see you where you are, Get over to the other side where the guards can't see you" and so he did.

Story 2: Teens zip into handicapp spot and run into the mall, Guard hollers at them and they flip him off.. Guard whistles loudly and gets attention of bootstrap crane operator. Operator picks up riggers, rigs car, picks it up and sets it atop the largest snow pile those kids had ever seen

Story 3: Woman runs into mall telling guard "I'll only be a minute" (no way), by the time she gets back car is in impound, As far from mall as it can be and still be in city.

All true. I might add I shop that same mall but have NEVER parked in a restricted (Handicapped) space.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times