cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need a WDH?

jagermeister
Explorer
Explorer
I've been doing lots and lots of research for the last month or so on weight distribution hitches and was going back and forth between the Reese Dual Cam, Rees SC, and Equalizer hitches when I decided to go down to a RV dealership with an attached supply store and talk with someone down there about the three and which might best fit my needs.

After asking the front desk lady, I located the "hitch" expert and asked him what he thought might be the best hitch for my situation. He told me he wouldn't get a distribution hitch just yet. He advised me to get the travel trailer and tow it on some short trips and see if I even need a distribution hitch. He thought most likely I wouldn't need one. So, after a month of researching these darn things, I had a wrench thrown into the whole mess.

Does this seem like a plausible thing to do? From what I've been reading it almost seems that a weight distribution/anti-sway hitch is a must. This will be my first tt so I'm new to all this.

My tow vehicle: 2014 Dodge Durango w/tow package and V8 HEMI

-rear load leveling suspension.
-7,200lb tow capacity
-720lb maximum tongue weight

Proposed Hybrid Trailer: Coachmen Freedom Express 21TQX

"Yellow Sticker" dry weight: ~3,800lbs
Hitch Weight: ~430lbs
Length: 23ft

So what do people think? Take the advice from the expert and see if I even need the distribution hitch? Or go ahead and purchase one so I'm ready to go?

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend Equal-i-zer 4pt, Reese Straight Line, or Blueox Swaypro. They all cost under $500, provide integrated sway control with weight distribution, and have thousands of happy owners.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
I don't see a Gross weight for the trailer listed. That is the one that is important because you will fill it up and it will weigh that much. Dry weight means nothing. Take your Gross trailer weight and see how close to your tounge weight you are when you multiply by 15 percent. That is almost always your limiting factor in 1/2 ton SUVs.---
The GVWR for the 21TQX is 5800#.
That means the trailer with a sticker dry weight of 3800# has a cargo carrying capacity of 2000#.
It's highly unlikely the OP would carry 2000# of cargo, so I see no reason to assume the loaded trailer will weigh 5800#.
I also see no reason to assume the tongue weight percentage will be 15%.

IMO, a realistic assumption for loaded weight is about 5000#.
And a realistic TW% for this trailer is about 13%.
That gives a realistic loaded TW of about 650# versus a value of 870# obtained by assuming 15% of GVWR.

The realistic assumptions give an estimated loaded TW which is about 70# under the stated "720lb maximum tongue weight" versus being about 150# over if you use the unnecessarily conservative assumptions.

Ron

jagermeister
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I was reading through the manual of my Durango this past weekend and came across the recommendation for a WDH for trailers over 3,500lbs. So I'm definitely going to get one. Now the question is, which one? So many choices...

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a Gross weight for the trailer listed. That is the one that is important because you will fill it up and it will weigh that much. Dry weight means nothing. Take your Gross trailer weight and see how close to your tounge weight you are when you multiply by 15 percent. That is almost always your limiting factor in 1/2 ton SUVs. You probably will not have capacity left for much in the TV and can you stop it if a trailer brake fuse blows?

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you need a WD hitch. Without one, you'll unload the front suspension which is not desirable. You can find inexpensive basic setups for under $300 which is much better than nothing. I towed with an old EZ Lift with add-one friction sway control for many years. Went to the Equalizer 4 Point with integrated sway control when I went to a bigger trailer.

More elaborate setups with integrated sway control like the Equalizer 4 Point, Reese Dual Cam, and Blue Ox Pro start at about 5 bills. All 3 are fine setups.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
SUVs by design have soft suspensions. So yes, you need a WD hitch. And I agree with the others. You need a new "expert".
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
You will definitely want a WDH, but you may want to wait until you find a camper as many used ones are sold WITH the hitch ๐Ÿ˜‰

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Find a new expert. Straight from the manual:

"If the gross trailer weight is 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) or
more, it is mandatory to use a weight-distributing
hitch to ensure stable handling of your vehicle."

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
With that trailer you don't need a fancy WD system. Just get a hitch with the spring bars and a friction sway control and save your money. X2 on checking your owners manual regarding towing with a leveling system.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suggest you check your owner's manual to see whether or not you need to shut down the rear suspension self leveling feature when using a WD hitch.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Get the Equalizer!

'Nuff said!

Your set up is nearly identical to the one I had with my previous TV. The Equalizer rocks.

Good luck!

KMP44
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I think you should find a new expert. JMO

X2. I would find another shop.

Any of the choices you listed would do the job, but your trailer is heavy enough that you should have one and have some type of sway control.

Your truck owners manual should tell you at what tongue weight you need a WDH. Keep in mind your battery and propane sit right on the tongue, then add gear and the tongue weight will really increase over the brochure weight. Something like 13-15% of GVWR would be an estimate of your max tongue weight.

A basic WDH will do the job or go higher end if you like the features of one of the others better, but don't go without it.
2005 F-150 FX-4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Add fuel, passengers, equal hitch, all the stuff in back of the tow vehicle and its very likely to need an equalizing hitch.

But you arent out anything to try it without it. Its probably going to sit low. Dont be on your way to an outing when you try it and need it bad. Hook up and see what it looks like. I had a Harbor Fruit eq hitch and sway bar with no problems. No I'm not a big HF fan but I know someone who had one with no problems so I gave it a try.
With that trailer fully loaded your going to be near the limit. May be ok on closer runs but you may not like it long distance. You may have more experience then me so I'm not sure. Can you tow one of those rigs before you buy? Of course it would be dry so.....

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should find a new expert. JMO
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)