cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do most state parks have a 30-foot length limit?

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, everyone. We're looking at a 31'11" class A and have been told that most state parks have a 30-foot limit. I can call all the states to ask, of course, but am hoping some of you with lots of RVing experience can tell me if that is true, or to what extent it is. Thanks very much!
45 REPLIES 45

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
susanka wrote:
Hi, everyone. We're looking at a 31'11" class A and have been told that most state parks have a 30-foot limit. I can call all the states to ask, of course, but am hoping some of you with lots of RVing experience can tell me if that is true, or to what extent it is. Thanks very much!

In general private RV parks do not have 30' limits and most can accommodate any Class A . In Calif. state parks, forrest service parks and smaller county RV parks tend to have length limits around 30'.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We've got some huge spaces in some of our state parks in AZ. The roomiest state park I've seen is in Georgia at Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah. Someone could easily park two diesel pushers, and their toads, end to end, the spaces are that long.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some national parks have length limits but there are very few state parks that do. There was one in Missouri--I think it was Lake of the Ozarks SP.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of State Parks in California the do limit the size, not because they do not have space, you drive between the trees and that is the limiting factor a 24 or 25 foot C class will make the turns or an 18 or 19 foot pull trailer will, anything else they would have to cut a few trees we spent Christmas in one and when the park ranger came by on the 26th he was amassed that we were there with the 24 C and backed in, he asked me how I was going to get out, I told him same way I came in, very carefully!

Depends on the park and the State, call ahead and see the sticker on the side that states the size of the unit, mine is stated as a 22 footer but in reality it 24 bumper to bumper, it is 2 feet longer than the older models that I saw and measured, they added to the kitchen area in the rear and the bathroom, so when they ask I tell them it is a 22 foot unit.

navegator

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said, it depends on the indivudual park and campsite. In my (quite limited) experience, very few parks have an overall limit that short. Such a limit might be due to a narrow, twisty access road. Many parks do have some sites that cannot accommodate a 30' motorhome and some that can. Here in Vermont, I find maybe half or fewer if the sites in the average state park comfortably fit my 32' class C. I have not had much trouble with finding suitable sites when I wish to, though it sometimes requires being flexible about destinations. Many of the Vermont state park campgrounds were developed by the CCC or in that era and so are laid out with tents in mind more than RVs.

Rather obviously, a larger unit will fit in fewer sites than a smaller one, and that's true at any size range. In practice, though, I don't think you'll see much difference there between 30 and 32 feet.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 40' DP and usually camp at Florida State parks and COE parks. We are only limited to a very small percentage of parks in Florida because of length limits.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
susanka wrote:
We're looking at a 31'11" class A and have been told that most state parks have a 30-foot limit.

Not true. I'll bet whoever told you this is from CA or the East Coast -- both these areas tend to have state parks with a lot of small sites.

On average, about half the sites in all state parks are at least 40 feet.

See State Park Data for more info.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Not been my experience. What I've seen is that individual sites all have length limits for obvious reasons, but those vary all over the map. It is true that the older the park, the shorter the sites tend to be, again for obvious reasons, but I've never seen any justification for thinking "most" parks have the same limits.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
In more them 30 years we have only see a length limit one time.

X2. seems that whomever measures the sites in most state and national parks needs a refresher on how to measure.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
30'? Wow. That would be terrible. Obviously this does not apply to you in Co. but the state parks we go to average around 100' length per site.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whoever told you that is just wrong. They may have some sites that will be too short but most will have plenty that will be more than adequate.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously, every park will be different. A park recently built in an open area may be able to accommodate any size rig, while an older park built in the mountains may have size restrictions. There is no one size fits all, but a 30 foot rig should fit in many state and federal campgrounds.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Your home state does not.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Not in Montana. Actually, it varies by park. I do not believe there is, nor can there be, any flat answer to a question like that.
I take our 32 foot Class A to many parks around here, no problem.
A 36 footer may have trouble in some spaces, and a 40 footer or larger might not fit at all. However, there is often at least one space where a big rig will fit. It is often first come, first served, though, so it may have a tent or a truck camper in it when you arrive.
Good luck.

This site had good information:

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most state parks have multiple sized sites. Availability of larger sites might be less, but a 32 footer, you shouldn't have a problem.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS