cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you use TV hookups at the parks you stay at?

lucky_expert
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of building a small RV park, and would like to know the general feeling towards Cable TV hookups. Is this something that you require?

I hear most campers now have built in TV options, whether it is cable or antenna. This is just a small park with 10 spots, so its not like an RV resort or anything. I am just trying to poll the average RVer decide if it is worth the time an expense to add that amenity. I probably won't add it if most people couldn't care less if it is there or not.

This forum seems like it would be a great place to get such info!
44 REPLIES 44

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC "basic cable" at the campground usually included ESPN.
bumpy

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is decent OTA reception, then most likely people can connect to the internet with their tablets/phones. WiFi sounds great, but as previously stated, bandwidth will be an issue - especially as you expand.

While cable TV is nice to have, I'd rather have full hookups over a cable connection. We go to a CG in the summer that has it - just run a cable from the power pole to the TT, and it is nice to have - I don't miss my shows like mountain men. Having it might be a competitive edge over the state park you referred to.

Are you going to have full hookups - water/sewer/electric? Are you planning on both 30 and 50 amp service?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
When you are placing the conduit for power, drop an extra conduit in for communications runs. It will cost next to nothing and you can add cables later. (power and comms should be in seperate conduits).

You are using conduits right? Makes it much easier to repair things later and allows you to swap out as needed when coax cable fades from use.

As far as cable...as long as OTA has decent reception, we won't bother hooking up standard cable (ie: no HBO or other premium channels). Far better to set up good wifi. While we don't count on it, we do value it when we find good wifi.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
No. I wouldn't. But then I wouldn't camp next to an Interstate unless it was a late night stop. Then I wouldn't need the cable, I'd sleep and move on. I camp to be outside.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
while you are at it dont forget the multifunction single bathroom

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Whats most important, spaces wide enough for slides, level sites, Towed parking, long enough you don't have to drop 5W, utilities in the correct area, picnic tables, space between sites not on top of each other. TV is secondary I have books & DVD's if I want to watch something.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
lucky.expert wrote:
Wow, thank you all so much for the input. I'd say it is both destination and pass through, since we are right by the interstate out in the middle of nowhere, but there is a popular state park close by, as well as a university so there could be some longer term folks too. There is good OTA reception there though. I was thinking about running cable and just hooking it up to an OTA antenna, and possibly upgrade to cable later on but sounds like most folks have OTA built right into their RV. Maybe I'll focus on good WIFI for now, since it sounds like that is what people really want.

I'm confused by the statement in bold......:H

Do you own an RV?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
lucky.expert wrote:
I am in the process of building a small RV park, and would like to know the general feeling towards Cable TV hookups. Is this something that you require?

It is not something I require, but enjoy immensely. I will not pay extra for it, but will feel cheated if I paid a premium price for a site without it.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't count on a park having WiFi or cable. I have my own wifi I travel with. It's not a deal breaker one way or the other. Im fine with OTA, but if the park offers cable, I'll use it. I've never been charged extra for it though.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good Wifi is a requiement. Cable tv is nice when provided and a treat for us as we usually only have OTA. Where we are hosting right now, we can only get 1 channel while the leaves are on the trees. We would never pay extra for cable.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
TV is way down on my list of things on deciding on a park. I look at where is it, how much does it cost, does it have a playground for the kids, etc. If there's cable I might hook up and watch since I don't have that at home. The vast majority of places that we camp don't have cable and I never really think about it.

---------------
Please check your private messages, thanks. (Mod)

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
PamfromVA wrote:
Is your park a destination or pass through? If one night stop we use park cable instead of setting up satellite. If destination spot, I set up satellite.

That's what we do more than one night pull out the dish but we are fulltimers.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
lucky.expert wrote:

I hear most campers now have built in TV options, whether it is cable or antenna. This is just a small park with 10 spots, so its not like an RV resort or anything. I am just trying to poll the average RVer decide if it is worth the time an expense to add that amenity. I probably won't add it if most people couldn't care less if it is there or not.

This forum seems like it would be a great place to get such info!

unless you're in a primary service zone for over-the-air TV we likely wouldn't stay there unless you had some sort of cable TV...either based on a satellite feed (DirecTV) or Comcasst/Time Warner, etc. we have a sat. dish which we normally use assuming we have a clear shot of the sky. if not we would hook up to the park's cable system. are you going to be mostly shade, some shade or no shade?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
OTA TV is fine, if you want to watch Jerry Springer. I want cable.
bumpy

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have found television hook-ups at RV resorts are usually a pain in the neck. Then, the television programming is still the exact same stuff, and even re-runs from years ago when we paid for satellite television. We're constantly reminded how much money we saved by canceling satellite television and use only over-the-air. For me, it would be a waste of YOUR money.

WIFI is more important, as someone else already stated above. That's the wave of the moment and the wave of the future. Everything is done over the internet now ... even television watching. Focus on WIFI for your camper customers and forget the television service.