cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you use your bathroom? If not, what do you use it for?

viajera80
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I'm working on an article about whether most RV owners use their bathrooms or not. If you do, feel free to chime in. If you don't why not and what do you use it for instead? Please give examples of what you do use it for. Thank you!

Edit: the post is for the Do It Yourself RV website
108 REPLIES 108

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Although the vast majority of RV owners use all the bathroom facilities, there are a few who:

Don't use the toilet at all
Don't do #2 in it
Some put the used tp in a bag/container

When it comes down to toilet stuff, some people just aren't comfortable with dealing with black tank contents. It grosses them out.

Personally I don't get it but I've worked in hospitals and was a firefighter/EMT.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
viajera80 wrote:
Hello. I'm working on an article about whether most RV owners use their bathrooms or not. If you do, feel free to chime in. If you don't why not and what do you use it for instead? Please give examples of what you do use it for. Thank you!

Edit: the post is for the Do It Yourself RV website

No - never use the RV bathroom!

"Double tow" a utility trailer with a commercial 'telephone booth' style porta-potty like you see at construction sites.

Darn handy - except when it's time to dump..:(

:R

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
we are full timers and we use our facilities everyday. I will not use public showers for any reason. My dad was "mugged" while using a CG shower house. His clothes were taken while he was in the shower and had to return to their RV wearing only a towel. Fortunately he had left his wallet and keys in the RV with my mom. This occurred in the early 1980's.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
We generally use all our facilities, as of yet we haven't showered in it but that is due to my DW not being able to stand and use the shower. The shower is too small for stool for her to sit on so we use the campground facilities.

A few years ago when my wife's disabled sister sometimes traveled with us, I found a smaller shower bench at Walmart that I was able modify the legs slightly to make it even narrower to fit in our onboard shower. I swapped out the original rubber leg tips for large suction cups that both spread the weight better, and kept the bench solidly in place. The biggest problem I had though, was lifting her in and out of the shower in the small space. I found a wide nylon strap that I could loop over my shoulders and under her butt that helped a lot. We did use park facilities with her at times though, when they were clean and well equipped for assisted handicapped use.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Two other things I use the bathroom for. Reading and thinking.
Full timing it since July 2012

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We use the bathroom if it is raining or at night. Do use the shower to hang clothes in hoping the wrinkles will hang our as our closets are too full. I brush my teeth in the bathroom early in the morning.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, of course. It's one of the main reasons why I say that traveling in a large diesel pusher, towing my favorite 4x4 GMC suv, is "the only way to go". We love the comfort and convenience of it.
But, I respect the fact that everyone else can determine how to use THEIR OWN RV.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Owning an RV with full facilities and not using all of them, makes about as much sense as buying a car and pushing it everywhere so you don't wear out the engine! :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
We use the bathroom just like at home. The rule is nothing goes in the toilet except solid human waste, liquid human waste and toilet paper. No feminine hygiene products. No wipes, even if marketed as "flushable."

X2 Even on the road we use our own bathroom. I keep about 10 gallons of water in the fresh tank if headed to a full hook up campground or full if no water hook up campground.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Once the kids moved out we find that we rarely use the shower (most Oregon State Parks have very nice/private shower facilities) and the shower stall now used for storing "stuff".
Kevin

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully they will turn the book into a movie :W

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't know why you would not use the facilities completely. The bath is designed to be used for all bathroom purposes. You can dump it as often as you like although I would not recomend that.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I use the bathroom/toilet for its designed purpose. It makes no sense to not use it. My wife also uses it. To us, it is the same as at home. Even at sites with no hookups we usually use the bathroom for it's intended purpose unless there is a very convenient alternative.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like most folks use their own facilities . We bought a 1 1/2 bath model this time so that there is 'no waiting'.

The only time I use a public facility is usually at a rest stop. It gives me a chance to stretch my legs as I usually park rather far away to get the heart pumping to keep me alert. Now, I would only use it for #1. ๐Ÿ˜›

Carry on!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
soren wrote:
I had a guy stop at my motorhome and start a conversation about how much he like it. He then reveals that he and his wife are serious about buying a new one, just like it. I tell him this one was used, owned by the proverbial "little old man" who obsessively cared for it, and costs about 60% less than he was going to pay for a new one, so he might give that a thought................and then it happened.

He got a bit of a odd look, and confessed that he never uses the toilet in his RV for anything (He had a nearly new Mercedes/Winnebago) and would never allow anybody else to use it either. He makes reservations for spots near the bath house, and uses public toilets on the road. He explained that when he buys a house, he needs to pull the toilets out and replace them, since he can't deal with a "used" one. He then told me that a used RV was simply out of the question, since...........well, it would have a used toilet, previously dirtied holding tanks, etc...

It was an interesting conversation.

LOL!
He would use a public toilet before the โ€œUsedโ€ on in a used RV.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"