cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog friendly beautiful landscapes to visit in southern Utah?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re currently in Gallup New Mexico & heading to Colorado tomorrow to see the four Corners attraction & from there heading into southern Utah & plan to check out the beautiful landscapes that cover that state.
Seems Zion only allows dogs on one trail & so looking for options?
We will be traveling from Colorado after visiting the 4 corners monument.

In our 30 foot travel trailer.

Thanks in advance.
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
27 REPLIES 27

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quote from Admin when he offered me the mod job here...

"At times, it will seem like you're the only adult there."

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:
Why do people assume when I say dog friendly it means off leash?!?!
I am always in full control of my dog & he is always with me on leash unless in our trailer!

Well good for you. When I'm out in the desert or wherever, if there's no one around, our dogs run free. Our dogs are trained, and I am always in full control of them. 90% of people don't train their dogs, and I'm guessing you're one of them. And I understand that. If your dog is never going off-leash, I guess they don't need anything but potty training. My dogs- no matter where they are at- respond immediately to any command. But we do bird hunt with them, and discipline is neccessary. I know most people with pets aren't that disciplined.

OMG!!
Are you intentionally trying get me worked up?

You assume if any training at all , he might be Potty trained?!?!?!

He has been a show dog since 6 months old & hunt trained!

Sorry- didn't mean to get you worked up. You said your dog is always leashed. I just wondered if you're out in the middle of nowhere hiking around, why would you leash your dog? Do you hunt with your dog on the leash?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm starting to think for places like Utah, I might just have to take our dog to our preferred kennel , about an hour from us the day before we leave.

I trust them & they are affordable.
& our dog loves them.
They were the breeders we got him from.

Other wise it's making sure we have the climate set at a comfy temp for the dog & leave him in the trailer while we go see Bryce one day & the other sites like the arches another day & Zion the next?

We'll see as we get closer, shouldn't be a problem as long as the power at the camp ground is reliable?
With '85 Lance.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOG FIGHT! DOG FIGHT

The OP asked an easy question for those who know the area he is wanting to visit and the thread goes into the 'train your dog, oh my dog is trained better than your dog'----ohhh la la come on on this thread LOL

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are a dog owner don't even vaguely consider letting your dog run free even if it is allowed. I know you think it is "trained" or "friendly". That typically applies only to the perspective of the owner and the situation can be a lot different for a stranger walking alone.

I used to surf fish at night and took to carrying a wicked hand gaff. Hiking on trails a hatchet suffices. It seems the dog owners who assure their dogs are trained and friendly all reconsider when I explain the dog will only bite once.

Aside from the comfort and safety of other visitors, there are other reasons that dogs are not allowed on trails in most national parks. They scare the wildlife. They do not interact well with bears.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Well good for you. When I'm out in the desert or wherever, if there's no one around, our dogs run free. Our dogs are trained, and I am always in full control of them. 90% of people don't train their dogs, and I'm guessing you're one of them. And I understand that. If your dog is never going off-leash, I guess they don't need anything but potty training. My dogs- no matter where they are at- respond immediately to any command. But we do bird hunt with them, and discipline is neccessary. I know most people with pets aren't that disciplined.

Our current dog is a spectacular companion and cost way too much to risk her getting hurt somehow someway off-lease. We don't need some bird of prey swooping down on her or a rattler nipping her when we're out in the middle of nowhere in the desert. Vet bills for some time now have begun to cost real money.

She stays on a lease ALL THE TIME whenever outside our house or outside our RV when camping - and that includes going potty in the house backyard or on camping trips. Ooooh - and we always pick up after her on potty walks - even in campground dog-run areas.

Folks that let their dog(s) run off-lease really bug us and sometimes their dog(s) come around and bug us too. IMHO, dogs off-leash belong ONLY out bird or rabbit or fox hunting - everywhere else they belong on a lease so they never bother other folks or otherwise get into trouble. Not everyone "appreciates" our/your dog(s).

By the way - State/Federal parks and recreation areas that allow dogs only on a lease probably have that rule because in years past folks who let their ("trained") dogs run free have caused problems for others. As usual, responsible folks wind up paying the price for irresponsible folks.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Blanco1: Don't be offended by what Maggot Bob wrote.... according to his other posts that's the way he is.

Yeah, don't get too worked up by me. Two Gypsies are probably right... :B

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Geritol time!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:
I am always in full control of my dog & he is always with me on leash unless in our trailer!

Yep that's like saying since I have the keys in my pocket , I have full control of my vehicle.

LOL!!!!!
With '85 Lance.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blanco1: Don't be offended by what Maggot Bob wrote.... according to his other posts that's the way he is.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:

Yep that's like saying since I have the keys in my pocket , I have full control of my vehicle.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:

OMG!!
Are you intentionally trying get me worked up?

You assume if any training at all , he might be Potty trained?!?!?!

He has been a show dog since 6 months old & hunt trained!

Anyways while hanging out in Green River Utah, we all went to the Cristal Geiser & you can take dogs with no issues.
With '85 Lance.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
Blanco!
My response on the other post of yours was NOT aimed at you, but rather a very large number of inconsiderate pet owners like what you came across .

That feeling you had when that dog came at you , that's what my DW feels whenever she sees a dog period !
Whether its chained up , locked up, on a leash or not.

There can be signs posted every 5 ft on a trail, beach, boardwalk etc. No dogs allowed or if so on leash only and still people let their dogs runs off leash un-controlled.

Safe travels...

Thanks & yes I will agree there are very many inconsiderate people.
My dog grew up in dog shows & thatโ€™s where weโ€™ve learn out proper etiquette.
With '85 Lance.