cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic A/C Problem

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Took the new Vengeance to Ocean Lakes this weekend to test everything. Had a great time and 99% of everything worked perfectly.

The bedroom AC unit is a 13.5K unit that just blows straight out of the unit with no duct work to push air through. It has adjustable vents on all four sides but that's it. Pretty simple.

It was warm this weekend so I turned it on Saturday to cool the bedroom down. It came on and started normally. Then after about a minute or so, I guess the compressor turned off. It ran much quieter as if a load was taken off. Then after a minute or so of that, the compressor kicked on again. I say "the compressor" because it sounded just like it does when the unit is on constant fan and then the room gets warm enough to make the AC turn on if its controlled by a thermostat.

It did this a few times and the air was only cool. It never got really cold. I then turned it off.

My totally novice guess is the unit has a refrigerant leak and is too low too keep the compressor running. But I really have no clue. Our Work & Play AC had a leak but it made the unit freeze up inside.

Any ideas here before I take it in? Is there anything possible I could be doing wrong?
6 REPLIES 6

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic has had some real problems with air conditioners. I am on my third in a year and a half. Luckily, there is a two year warranty so replacements were done at their expense. My replacements were done by different dealers, so most any dealer can replace your unit under warranty (it doesn't have to be the original selling dealer).

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
newman fulltimer wrote:
have you cleanedthe coils? checked to see its tight? made sure foam divider is sealed between the inlet and output?

It's a brand new camper.

Did you read the manual? Did the dealer show you how to use it? Do you know how to use the thermostat on it?

If yes to all the above questions I would take it back to the dealer under warentee and ask for assistance.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
have you cleanedthe coils? checked to see its tight? made sure foam divider is sealed between the inlet and output?

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The compressor should cycle on and off to prevent evaporator ice up. Will do this more if the air temp is not really all that warm.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be recirculating somehow back into the intake and turning itself off due to the cooler air? (Maybe leaking inside the ceiling housing)
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where was the temp setting? If whather was warm, the temp setting might be shutting the compressor down as its up to temp.