cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Double dome removal?

WallynDiane
Explorer
Explorer
We have several light bulbs that need replaced in our RV. They all are in those double dome ceiling light fixtures (on/off switch in the middle of the domes).

How do you remove the dome to gain access to change the bulb? I was afraid of breaking the dome as I was trying to pop it off. Probably very simple but I don't know how.

Last question, can I get LED bulbs and use them in the same fixture?

Thanks to sell who respond.
10 REPLIES 10

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
My old double dome lens were removed by squeezing the sides in a bit.

Same with mine. Squeeze the sides and pull the side to the middle (by the switch) down first and swing it out.

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:

That is the way mine come off, just squeeze In the middle while pulling down. there is 4 tabs on the inside of the lens that sticks into slots in the fixture, Again just squeeze
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'll make another positive vote for LED bulbs, fantastic replacements. I like these little guys from M4:

http://www.m4products.com/elite-series-super-bright-cob-led-plate-in-warm-white/
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are like mine they are pop in pop out like the dome light on a car.. If you slip a table knife carefully along the 3 flat sides you can press the top edge in slightly and pull down gently and it will pop off. Go with LEd's and do not worry about replacing them ever again.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine slide in one direction to come off. LED is fine
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
WallynDiane wrote:
DavidP wrote:
They should slide off. Yes you can get LED bulbs.

Is there an end cap that allows them to slide off?

I was attempting to squeeze the dome to snap it off but it didn't budge and I was afraid of breaking the plastic dome.

I have a Holiday Rambler 2004 Presidential fifth wheel and it has many of these standard type of double dome light fixtures.

You may need to stick a flat blade screwdriver or knife in between the clear dome and the center part of the light where the switch is to work the clear part away from the light. Once it's slid down about a half inch it should pull off.

I replaced my bulbs with warm white LED panels like in the post above.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

korbe
Explorer
Explorer

We inserted these LED's from Command Electronics

My cover slides away from the center about 1/2" then pops off

WallynDiane
Explorer
Explorer
DavidP wrote:

Is there an end cap that allows them to slide off?

I was attempting to squeeze the dome to snap it off but it didn't budge and I was afraid of breaking the plastic dome.

I have a Holiday Rambler 2004 Presidential fifth wheel and it has many of these standard type of double dome light fixtures.

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer