cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dry ice

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Does anything need to be placed under dry ice in a cooler to protect the cooler?
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
16 REPLIES 16

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dry ice (~ -100 F at atmospheric pressure) is cold enough to make some plastics brittle, maybe even crack them by thermal contraction. That being said, when we use it theatrically it is delivered in a bin lined with some kind of plastic, and we transfer the stuff to plastic beverage coolers to carry it to the fog machines. Have not cracked one yet, 20 years playing with the stuff.

But I wouldn't use it as an ice substitute or supplement for a cooler. It turns a cooler into a freezer, kind of cold for ice cream (will be rock hard) and can freeze-burn meats and more fragile veggies.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Years ago, we went to Lake Powell, 3 days on a houseboat and then 3 days dry camping out of a van that had a 4" foam mattress bed built in the back. I took some steaks for day 5, put them in a small igloo cooler on top of dry ice (wrapped in newspaper) and left the cooler in the back of the van closed up. This was in late July...hot! Van was parked in the sun, closed up and locked.

After the 3 days on the house boat, we returned to the marina and drove the van to our campsite. I tried to take the cooler out and it had frozen to the foam mattress, and frozen the mattress solid all the way through (4"!!). Lifting the cooler actually ripped about 2" of the foam out! Not only that, the steaks were still rock hard, so hard that I took them out and put them on the roof of the van in the summer sun/heat, and it still took more than 24 hours before they were thawed enough to cook!!

Dry ice is some serious s**t!!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember it is - 100 degrees. It will burn you .I t removes the oxygen from the air.use extreme car in confined spaces

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I have used it on several long canoe trips, it needs to be wrapped (I used newspaper) If I am camping with the RV I usually just go get ice as needed. Dry Ice will freeze anything near it and is dangerous around children as it can cause a bad burn.

We dumped some unused dry ice in our house sink. sink was stainless steel, the pipes for the drain where pvc. It broke the drain pipes. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Ouch.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I have used it on several long canoe trips, it needs to be wrapped (I used newspaper) If I am camping with the RV I usually just go get ice as needed. Dry Ice will freeze anything near it and is dangerous around children as it can cause a bad burn.

We dumped some unused dry ice in our house sink. sink was stainless steel, the pipes for the drain where pvc. It broke the drain pipes. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dry Ice is solidified Carbon Dioxide, You do not want to use it in an enclosed non vented space.. The surface of a block of Dry Ice is in the neighborhood of -109F So yes it will freeze most everything save for a few chyrogenic poeducts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
pira114 wrote:
Putting regular ice with dry ice is unnecessary. The dry ice is colder than the regular ice. You're not helping any by adding it.

Dry ice "melts" by air flow. If you compartmentalize it to reduce air flow over it, it will last quite a long time

The water ice insulated the dry ice and kept it away from things it might damage. In addition, when the dry ice all sublimed the regular ice was still there and lasted for several days.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Putting regular ice with dry ice is unnecessary. The dry ice is colder than the regular ice. You're not helping any by adding it.

Dry ice "melts" by air flow. If you compartmentalize it to reduce air flow over it, it will last quite a long time

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
We used to surround the dry ice with water ice to insulate it and protect the cooler. The only problem we had was carbonated apples.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
With a 7 day cooler commonly available now, you only need a block of regular ice. I've camped for a week in high 80's with the cooler left in the sun part of the day and there was still a fist sized block left. And that was just a coleman, not an igloo.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used Dry Ice in our coolers when exploring Baja,we found that un wrapped it tended to get so cold that it cracked the inner liner of the coolers.

We always wrapped the blocks with 4 or 5 layers of newspaper. The thicker the insulation, the slower it will sublimate.Making it last longer,but still keeping everything around it very cold.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I put dry ice in a cooler one time. Stuff froze. Even my beer, or at least the water in it.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I have been thinking about using dry ice too. If I put dry ice in my cooler then place a bag of ice on top of it will it freeze the ice? Try to keep ice longer for drinks.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff