cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dude is hauling a$$

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
We're on 81 northbound in West Virginia in the wife's car doing 80. Guy towing a travel trailer flew past us like we were standing still! Hate to be him when those tires blow!
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat.
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2008 Pilgrim 272PBH (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)
29 REPLIES 29

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I have a buddy who brags about routinely towing a 28' TT at 90 MPH. Needless to say we do not travel together and I will not even travel the same route as he does when we are going to the same destination. Last thing I want to see is his family scattered along the highway. You just can't fix stupid.

HaulinBass02
Explorer
Explorer
I had a tire blow on previous 5er. Was doing about 65 at the time. I actually heard a pop and happened to be looking in the mirror when it happened and I saw/heard the tire go. Never lost control and I got off the road quick enough that the aluminum wheel never got a nick in it. The fender well didn't fare so well and the 5er was in the shop for several weeks getting fixed.
I usually don't tow much faster than 65, if I do it is only for short periods like passing someone....
2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0L PSD
2021 KZ Connect SE 312BHKSE

Me (DH), DW, 3 boys, 3 girls

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
If he's towing anything of any size at 80mph you'll probably see him on the side of the road out of gas first.
I can't imagine any combo that is stable at that speed. Even my CCLB get's a little lite feeling around 70.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Why do people think when a tire blows it will put you in a ditch or shake you like a rag doll?

Because most people have seen all the horror stories, news and pictures of when a front tire blows out on a Class A. It 'does' put you in a ditch and the driver usually dies from it.

So they 'assume' the same will happen on a TT. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious ______!"
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Why do people think when a tire blows it will put you in a ditch or shake you like a rag doll? :h

I've only blown one tire in my life on a trailer. It was no doubt a low pressure situation and by the time I got the rig stopped there was nothing but two little rubber rings on the rim.

The only reason I knew something was wrong was a slight and I do mean SLIGHT vibration in the steering wheel. I looked in my mirror and saw the rubber coming off.

No big deal; no crazy event; nothing really but a rim with no rubber on it.

Judging from the amount of people I see towing a trailer that way it's no big deal to them either. They don't even know they are towing a trailer with 3 tires!

You weren't doing north of 80MPH, though. Throw in a trailer that's right on the ragged edge of sway (if you're crazy enough to tow at 80-85MPH, you're probably not too concerned about sway), and things would get interesting.

Of course this is was a 5th wheel, so no sway, but the speed definitely factors in.

You're correct. I was only driving 70 to 75 at the time my tire blew.

I've seen a lot of people driving happy as a clam on 3 tires. And some very fast. Don't even know anything is wrong. Like, la, la, la, life is good as sparks are coming off of their rim. LOL

And while I'm at it. Driving on 3 tires does not cause sway. If you don't have sway with 4 tires at 70 or 80 MPH you won't have sway on 3 tires at 70 or 80 MPH. Sway just does not work that way.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Why do people think when a tire blows it will put you in a ditch or shake you like a rag doll? :h

I've only blown one tire in my life on a trailer. It was no doubt a low pressure situation and by the time I got the rig stopped there was nothing but two little rubber rings on the rim.

The only reason I knew something was wrong was a slight and I do mean SLIGHT vibration in the steering wheel. I looked in my mirror and saw the rubber coming off.

No big deal; no crazy event; nothing really but a rim with no rubber on it.

Judging from the amount of people I see towing a trailer that way it's no big deal to them either. They don't even know they are towing a trailer with 3 tires!

You weren't doing north of 80MPH, though. Throw in a trailer that's right on the ragged edge of sway (if you're crazy enough to tow at 80-85MPH, you're probably not too concerned about sway), and things would get interesting.

Of course this is was a 5th wheel, so no sway, but the speed definitely factors in.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Turtle n Peeps wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Why do people think when a tire blows it will put you in a ditch or shake you like a rag doll?
I don't think that, but I do think it will destroy the wheel well and what's above it.

One of the reasons I hate SBR. The tire that blew on my trailer was a rag bias. The only thing it did was pull the screw out of the fender brace. Put a new screw in, put a new tire on and I was good to go.

Judging from some of the responses, some think if you blow a tire on a trailer at speed it will blow you off of the road, flip you end over end, barrel roll you 40 or 50 times and you will end up as a burning ball of smoking rubble. :R

The truth is most don't even know they had a blown tire on their trailer.

This is true, most don't know. Been there done that 3 times with a catastrophic tire failure.
All 3 times I didn't feel a thing, nothing. Trailer towed just fine.
One was a single axel Prowler. Steel belted tire let go and absolutely destroyed the TT. I did a mirror check and saw smoke pouring out the back. Still couldn't feel it. Pulled over and inspected. Tire was absolutely shredded. It destroyed everything in its path, trailer was a total write-off. Sold it for salvage.
Other 2 were tandems on my old 95 Sportsmen. Both times the tire came apart and was shredded to nothing. I noticed again doing a mirror check. Saw my fender flare flapping in the wind. Pulled over both times to find the tire gone and nothing left but the Center part on the rim.
Again, couldn't feel anything out if the ordinary. It towed fine, handled normally. But I was pulling it with a dually so that helped.
Damage was minimal fortunately. Minor repairs and good to go.

So yeah, it's easy to blow a tire and not feel it or notice until someone flags you or you see it in a mirror check.

Gotta get a TPMS.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
MAwolcott wrote:
We're on 81 northbound in West Virginia in the wife's car doing 80. Guy towing a travel trailer flew past us like we were standing still! Hate to be him when those tires blow!

Ugh, anybody missing a travel trailer.
Sure hope it wasn't a rear kitchen 'cause his dishes will be all over the place.:B

4LowNGo
Explorer
Explorer
I also seen a guy hauling a$$ on 81N today around 10:30-11 here near Harrisburg PA. It was a little older blue Silverado 2500. I was behind him watching the front air vent flap around,finally bailing and me running over it.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Similar situation coming down I5 south of Redding CA couple weeks ago. Guy pulling an older 5er that looked like it has some bent axles and horrible tires on it was keeping up with me at 75MPH. I was not towing... Just happy to get around him. Looked like a disaster in the making.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
As long as only one of 2 goes. If the 2nd tire can't handle the weight, and lets go, then you're going to be all over the road.

I don't know about the trailer being all over the road? I have seen trailers run on rims (trailer races) and they seem to track pretty good. The U bolts tend to dig in and hold the trailer back like a parachute.

About 2 people on average are killed a year by vending machines. I think I will worry more about a vending machine killing me than 2 tires blowing out at the same time on my trailer. :B But that's just me! :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
As long as only one of 2 goes. If the 2nd tire can't handle the weight, and lets go, then you're going to be all over the road.

Many just drive their interstate queens and can't see that a tire gets a real workout driving curvy mountain roads. When you have a failure on a road barely wide enough on a good day, things can get interesting real fast.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I see at least one rig like this every time I travel outside the area I live in.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)