cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electric RV appliances

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I just watched a video from a large RV dealer. Not sure what all the brands are they carry,but he said he's noticing a trend for 2024 units that some manufacturers are not offering propane appliances. The units have 120/12 volt refridgerators and electric range tops and water heaters. I guess that's ok if you always have electric hookups and the electric never goes out. I love the freedom my propane appliances give me. I don't boondock a lot,but when I do I can go 4 or 5 days with my dual batteries and propane. Occassionally we may stop at a rest area and use the stove to heat up a meal and in colder weather,run the furnace to keep the camper warm. I know there's a big push to eliminate fossil fuels,but it seems that propane and camping have done the job for a long time and I don't see this changing in my lifetime. But I'm 71 so that may not be that long.
32 REPLIES 32

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
Electric furnace, or heat pump, or both?...
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360 and theoldwizard1

You are both right--because there has been an explosion of numbers of RV's.

As far as barbecue--I do that electrically.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
When we bought our current RV, we wanted to boondock 75% of the time (and sold the house becoming full timers). So we outfitted it with a large solar setup.
But in reality, it is more like 50% or less. The issue is holding tanks and needing heating or cooling to be comfortable.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Mayor30 wrote:
I just watched a video from a large RV dealer. Not sure what all the brands are they carry,but he said he's noticing a trend for 2024 units that some manufacturers are not offering propane appliances. The units have 120/12 volt refridgerators and electric range tops and water heaters. I guess that's ok if you always have electric hookups and the electric never goes out.

More and more people only camp where there are full hook ups.
Any data to support this? Most people have camped with hookups for decades. If anything solar, cheap generators and other features have made it easier to boondock.

I'd say it's moving in the other direction if anything.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Mayor30 wrote:
I just watched a video from a large RV dealer. Not sure what all the brands are they carry,but he said he's noticing a trend for 2024 units that some manufacturers are not offering propane appliances. The units have 120/12 volt refridgerators and electric range tops and water heaters. I guess that's ok if you always have electric hookups and the electric never goes out.

More and more people only camp where there are full hook ups.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I thought this was a thread about all electric RVs.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
You don't BBQ every day when you full time RV. ๐Ÿ™‚

If it was my job to cook at home, I would BBQ every day there as well...

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:

But I bet the average full-timer BBQs a higher percentage of days than the percentage of RVs used full time.
And from what I have seen, most full-timers spend nearly every night on full-hookup site
Looks like most RVs are used buy people that go out for weekend, and maybe couple weeks a year. All electric, with enough battery to last couple nights would work good for this. No surprise building for most. Add solar, work for more. If that plan doesn't work for you, might keep what you got.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here is another vote for induction hobs!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
When camping, we almost never cook inside the camper. Always on a BBQ. It's camping, not living in an apartment I guess that is also why we don't like a typical RV park or RV campground but prefer boondocking. I will push back very hard to buy a propane fridge on my next rig. If I had an onboard gen, I might feel different. But will always need propane.

By the way, use propane for heat, hot water, and stove at home.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I do have to say I used to believe there was nothing better than gas for cooking. However, we now have an induction cooktop and it's far superior to gas. In the Summer it doesn't heat up the coach with all that heat/flame that wraps around the pans and the control of the heat is faster and easier. I hate electric cooktops but an induction cooktop is a totally different animal.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just saw a presentation about lithium mining in Nevada. There are currently 42 prospects and about 25 proposed mine plans going throught the environmental review process.

I will be using lithium batteries this week for the first time.

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad
I love my propane. Nothing better than agas stove, not that we use it much in the camper. Nothing like the gas heater to take the chill off in the morning in the camper. Electric for water heater until we take showers or wash dishes, then the gas is turned on. Water heater recovers fast with gas, in fact, don't run out of hot water. Gas fridge stays cold when rolling down the road. Bought a gas fire ring. Sometimes don't want to deal with wood. Sometimes the fire rings are located in a bad location.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf