cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Emerald Ash Borer profit?

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard about the threat of the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) for a few years now and I understand the need lessen the spread of the species, but are some CG's jumping on the bandwagon to make a profit?

The county where I live (Jackson County, Missouri) placed a ban on outside firewood and sells firewood at the local CG's....granted, they don't have a big markup on the wood, but how is their wood any different from the wood I just brought from my yard less than 20 miles away? It also bugs me a bit that the Missouri Extension Office doesn't list my county as EAB "quarantined", so how does the county supersede the state's recommendation on firewood movement?
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran
35 REPLIES 35

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
There is no way to effectively inspect all the wood being transported into CGโ€™sโ€ฆ the bans are in place to protect the woodlands, and campers are the likely source of wood being transported INTO a forest and cause new infestationsโ€ฆ

If enough people choose to ignore the bans, they will do the next best thing and something much easier to enforce, that is to ban all wood firesโ€ฆ

And one more time it will be the ignorant few that will ruin things for everyoneโ€ฆ
The sad part is, these people donโ€™t care and will continue to do as they please until all fires are bannedโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Generally you can transport wood within any county's borders with no restrictions.

You can generally transport wood from a uninfected/clean county into any other county with no problem.

The restrictions are against transporting wood from an infected county into an uninfected county.

At least that is the way it works around here.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 dog nights wrote:
Just stop by a constructions site (they are starting up again) get the scrap 2x
framing pieces. It stacks better, burns clean, doesn't have bugs that get all over your TV.

Good idea! except some campgrounds have said no to scrap building lumber!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SuperDutyMan
Explorer
Explorer
Two different COEs we camp at,allow a local VFD to ride around in the campgrounds and sell you a very large wheelbarrow full of slab wood for 10.00,to raise money for their FDs,I've always questioned how do they know where all the wood came from for the sawmills to cut into slab? I buy a full truckload of slab from the local Amish less than a mile from my house for 20.00,so I bring my own,and the Rangers don't even ask where any of the firewood comes from,they are real strict,(LEO) on taking wood across state lines,which I think is smart though....
2011 Palomino Sabre 31RETS,5th Wheel,Triple Slide,4000W Onan Genset
2006 Super Duty,XLT, V10, 6 Speed, 4.10, Tow Command, Tow Pkg. 4X4,Dual Exhaust,K&N,Reese 15K,Air Bags

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info on the EAB here.
Every CG we've checked into in New England always asks if we have brought our own firewood as it is not allowed per state regulations.
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
crabbin cabin wrote:
You (op)don't know what kind of wood? But I'll bet it is NOT ash. If you don't know your subject just stay quiet!

Take off the pissy pants, crabs....
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
crabbin cabin wrote:
You (op)don't know what kind of wood? But I'll bet it is NOT ash. If you don't know your subject just stay quiet!

Little harsh don't ya think!!!! How do you know he doesn't know what kind of wood there selling??? If he lives in the county where the ban is, and the CG is in the same county, he should be able to bring in his own firewood.

Here in NY we have a 50mi firewood law, meaning no one can transport firewood over 50 miles. Also any ash that is logged has to stay in the county it was cut. I have 20+ cord for my own use, and ill be dammed if im gonna be forced to buy firewood for my campfire...

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
So does the emerald ash borer reside in maple wood?

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that the Ash Borer arrived in pallets.
Maybe not the best choice!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Certified firewood, especially Ash, is treated to eliminate any live larvae or mature beetles. There is a County quarantine where I live.

BTW, be careful with the pallets, look for an agency stamp on the skids. Some pallets are treated with Bromide spray to stop infestation from overseas. You don't want to be melting Smores with that treated wood.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Just stop by a constructions site (they are starting up again) get the scrap 2x
framing pieces. It stacks better, burns clean, doesn't have bugs that get all over your TV.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
You have approximately 20,000 ash trees are located on public property within Kansas City, Mo. More than 400,000 ash trees are on private property. Within Greater Kansas Cityโ€™s nine county region, the estimate is more than 4.6 million ash trees. They will not last long if the Emerald Ash Borer spreads into your area. Read the following link and know the true facts!!: http://www.kcmo.org/CKCMO/Depts/ParksandRecreation/ParksCitywideServices/EmeraldAshBorer/index.htm
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I just like using precut, untreated, cured wood from a nearby mill, or if I want to be really ghetto, I see if anyone has wood pallets, yank the nails, and use those. Pallets are untreated wood, so either will burn with a lot of energy compared to plain old firewood. The European pallets with the pressed sawdust spacers also burn well too.

One note: Ask first. Wal Mart does NOT allow people to take pallets (the manager I asked said they watch the cameras and actively prosecute it just like shoplifting), but other places likely don't care, but ask to be safe.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Simple you don't. But play by the rules or don't play.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I found the "Wood Brick Fuel" wood products and am starting to use them. Not quite the same as real wood, but a heck of a lot less expensive for the burn time that they give.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page