cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabond

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
Very quick question.....should the Eternabond tape on top of my slides be perfectly flat?.....and/or is it okay to have some bubbles or raised spots on the edges? If NOT, can I just seal the bad spots with Dicor? Really don't want to get into retaping.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS
15 REPLIES 15

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Eternabond tape on all slide outs where the facia meets the roof. This is from factory. The edges start peeling after a while from slide moving in and out. could I use the dicor to hold these edges down? If so how long will it last?
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
A while back, I was told by a dealer they viewed any rigs with Eternabond very negatively as customers see it and think there is water damage underneath, similar to if a section has a large blob of caulk covering it.

I personally think EB is one of the best products out there. Assuming proper prep, and proper application (as in extreme pressure with a metal roller), coupled with EternaCaulk, the only thing that even comes close is an epoxy elastomer spray like rvroof's product.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Using Eternabond on that new unit may void your trailers roof warranty as one rv.net member found out.

Got a link? I find this exceptionally hard to believe that Eternabond tape voided an entire roof warranty...

Actually its pretty common across the RV world with new units. Resale issues also have popped up.

trailernovice

Mission TX

---------------------------------------------------------
A while back, I opened a thread asking whether eterna-bonding the roof seams on an almost-new TT as a preventative measure was a good idea ...the virtually unanimous opinion was 'yes'....

Well, took the TT to the selling dealer today for some minor work...rep. sees the tape job, asks 'why on earth did you DO that'?, and tells me that: a.) it's not necessary b.) it'll trap water if any water ever gets beneath the tape, and c.) any claim under the roof warranty may get kicked on grounds that the roof has been 'modified'....

thought i did the right thing by sealing the seams, but now not so sure....
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Using Eternabond on that new unit may void your trailers roof warranty as one rv.net member found out.

Got a link? I find this exceptionally hard to believe that Eternabond tape voided an entire roof warranty...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigSur2 wrote:
Thanks folks......sealing with Dicor it is....or Eternacaulk if I can find it. Just don't want to retape. And I DO tend to fix small stuff myself....my dealer's service dept sucks a fat one.

There is always Amazon for that caulk.........:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks......sealing with Dicor it is....or Eternacaulk if I can find it. Just don't want to retape. And I DO tend to fix small stuff myself....my dealer's service dept sucks a fat one.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot is mineral spirits is the cleaner before the Eternabond is applied on a rubber roof.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
CarlGeo wrote:
If Eternabond is applied correctly the edges will be completely flat along the edges AND are not required to be "sealed".

After a few years in the AZ sun, I'm glad I sealed my edges.

BTW, Dicor will seal the edges just fine on a flat surface. However, on a curved surface I recommend using EternaCaulk. Also, EternaCaulk is clear, Dicor is not which may make a difference to some.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
If Eternabond is applied correctly the edges will be completely flat along the edges AND are not required to be "sealed". However, if there are wrinkles in the Eternabond and voids between the tape and roof, those may have to be sealed.
Why would the Eternabond tape not be flat along the edges? When installing the tape, just be careful to insure it is FLAT without wrinkles. I installed my Eternabond approximately 8 years ago, flat, without sealing the edges and it is still totally attached, sealed, along the edges, and without voids.

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
I used eternabond on the frontcap of my trailer and then sealed the edge with dicor . Works great and see no reason not to use dicor.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

Bob_Quinn
Explorer
Explorer
Vannnce wrote:
why not use dicor on the edges?

I second the question about dicor?
Bob & Snookie
Fulltimers
November 2006
2006 F-550 CC Hauler Bed
2012 Mobile Suite 5TH WHEEL

Vannnce
Explorer
Explorer
why not use dicor on the edges?
'02 f350 ECLB with some goodies. B&W/ Companion
2002 fleetwood prowler 32R-D
Full time RV'er, currently in Houston, TX

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

If your trying to fix something the mfg did I would let the dealer fix it under warranty. That way they can't say your attempt created a issue now or down the road.

The tape should lay flat with no raised edges. Then seal the edges to keep water out for a OEM look.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Use EternaCaulk, not Dicor.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs