42 REPLIES 42

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
RV daytrader wrote:
hondapro wrote:
Never worried about it,most likely will now. lol

Same here...never even thought about it.....now I will have nightmares until I put on some lock!

I don't know about nightmares but, I will certainly check it out someday.

Some of the locks suggest in this thread (but not all) would require me to have ladder to get high enough to install them.

We could use the awning hook. Depends what kind of device you get.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV daytrader wrote:
hondapro wrote:

Same here...never even thought about it.....now I will have nightmares until I put on some lock!

I don't know about nightmares but, I will certainly check it out someday.

Some of the locks suggest in this thread (but not all) would require me to have ladder to get high enough to install them.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
hondapro wrote:

YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Yup, it CAN happen even if the arms remain locked to the side of the RV and the ratcheting mechanism inside is intact and in the correct position, exactly as Dutch_12078 writes.

It happened to me on our first outing with my last RV. A&E 9000 with the aluminum weatherguard. Strong wind coming in at about the 1:30 position, roller started to unroll even though the ratchet lever was in the correct position and intact and the legs were still locked; the wind was strong enough to overcome the mechanism. It was a bear to unroll and re-roll in the heavy wind, but eventually got it done. And to verify that nothing was "broken", we continued to use that awning with no changes for 12+ years. I did, however, fabricate a metal strap that wrapped around the roller and locked it against the side of the RV.

On my current RV, the first mod was to add this, which is almost exactly like what I made for my previous RV.

I did, however, fabricate a metal strap that wrapped around the roller and locked it against the side of the RV.

The above is what I have on our Class C awning roll ... except that I bought a commercial version, which can be loosened from the ground using the stock roller ratchet lever wand that came with the RV.
Yes, my original hand-made metal version required me to go up on the roof to lock/unlock it. For my current RV, I too bought the commercial version that I linked (although I bought it in white). It's definitely nicer to be able to lock/unlock from the ground using the awning wand.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
I use Velcro straps to hold the sliding support bars shut on ours. If the bars can't open, the awning can't open. Also leave the switch in Up position.

Velcro straps and the small locks/clips will do nothing if the right wind angle comes along. This happened with our 5th wheel on a Texas backroad, thankfully. The awning & roller flew off and the arms stayed on the RV in the correct position. We were so thankful we weren't on an interstate because it was like a torpedo. After that we searched and found the 'awning lock' on the internet.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Well I wasn't worried till I read this thread.

The awning on my B cranks out with a scissor support then you drop legs down. If you don't crank it doesn't move and is pretty well inclosed when fully closed. Not sure if it would be a problem in high winds or not.

I could wrap a strap around the middle since there is a small gap between the awning and the van roof.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
Yup, it CAN happen even if the arms remain locked to the side of the RV and the ratcheting mechanism inside is intact and in the correct position, exactly as Dutch_12078 writes.

It happened to me on our first outing with my last RV. A&E 9000 with the aluminum weatherguard. Strong wind coming in at about the 1:30 position, roller started to unroll even though the ratchet lever was in the correct position and intact and the legs were still locked; the wind was strong enough to overcome the mechanism. It was a bear to unroll and re-roll in the heavy wind, but eventually got it done. And to verify that nothing was "broken", we continued to use that awning with no changes for 12+ years. I did, however, fabricate a metal strap that wrapped around the roller and locked it against the side of the RV.

On my current RV, the first mod was to add this, which is almost exactly like what I made for my previous RV.

I did, however, fabricate a metal strap that wrapped around the roller and locked it against the side of the RV.

The above is what I have on our Class C awning roll ... except that I bought a commercial version, which can be loosened from the ground using the stock roller ratchet lever wand that came with the RV.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the point of this discussion is not about the arms malfunctioning or the locking lever in the wrong position, but rather about when the fabric roller assembly breaks internally and the roller and fabric are now free spinning. Is that the correct purpose?

The most common awning unwinding while underway problem is caused by a strong quartering wind getting up behind the roller and overriding the cam lock on one end of the roller allowing the fabric to unwind. Nothing broken, usually just worn enough to not hold tight. Any of the several devices made to prevent the roller from turning work well to prevent the problem at minimal cost. Power awnings are less susceptible to the problem unless something breaks in the gear box.

That's exactly why I installed a separate positive mechanical rotation lock on my awning's roller assembly (see my post earlier above). It can't unroll regardless of how well the roller locking lever or cam lock is or isn't working.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
ItsyRV wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the point of this discussion is not about the arms malfunctioning or the locking lever in the wrong position, but rather about when the fabric roller assembly breaks internally and the roller and fabric are now free spinning. Is that the correct purpose?

The most common awning unwinding while underway problem is caused by a strong quartering wind getting up behind the roller and overriding the cam lock on one end of the roller allowing the fabric to unwind. Nothing broken, usually just worn enough to not hold tight. Any of the several devices made to prevent the roller from turning work well to prevent the problem at minimal cost. Power awnings are less susceptible to the problem unless something breaks in the gear box.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Every worry about your awning opening when driving"

Yes ... until I installed a rotation-lock on it's roll so that it's impossible for it to unroll unless I release the lock to open it at a campsite.

We once were following behind our traveling friend's Class C when it's awning started to unroll in high cross-winds on the highway. A real scarry moment!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I Never worry about it..
Have no awning..LL