cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EVs Stealing RV Campsites!! Not....

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Just for fun, check out this rant on that "other" site. Linky Goofus is riled up, worried that them tent campin' EVers are hogging sites that should (in his opinion) be reserved for "real" RVs. He was knocked back quickly, even by folks who aren't EV proponents. His response was a hoot as he doubled down, twisted and turned. Mod finally had to shut him down. We are lucky here, something about that other place seems to draw in the crazies.!:h Enjoy!
37 REPLIES 37

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
charlestonsouthern wrote:
Toedtoes, yes, sort of like large motorhomes with all these large and deep slides which protrude over into your camping site extending beyond the utility hookups. Your picnic table in your site has been moved before you occupy your site to provide more room for their slide overhangs.

I have never experienced that. But I tend to forest service campgrounds - they don't get those "space creep" issues that RV parks get.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Toedtoes, yes, sort of like large motorhomes with all these large and deep slides which protrude over into your camping site extending beyond the utility hookups. Your picnic table in your site has been moved before you occupy your site to provide more room for their slide overhangs.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the day, I went to a couple of places (avoiding issues with nomenclature) that had designated "RV" spots and designated "Tent" spots. These were private establishments and they would not rent to a tent camper if they didn't have tent spots and wouldn't rent to an RV if they didn't have RV spots. These places were a pain when I had my 20' TT that would fit in most of the tent spots, but I came to appreciate the rules when I had my 39' FW that would only fit in the RV spots.

As long as the camper follows the rules imposed by the site owner, nothing to complain about even if it doesn't always feel appropriate.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Yes, I know it's irrational but that doesn't prevent me from feeling a bit resentful when I pull into an RV park/campground and find there are no FHU RV sites because someone has bypassed the tent camping area to use a FHU RV site. Yep, yer pays yer money and you takes yer cherce. But I still feel they have other choices, but I don't. Nothing to rant over, or get seriously pissed, but I still feel they were being a bit selfish.

Kind of like pulling into a parking lot, and finding 5 or 6 parking spots with a single motorcycle in each, when they could easily double up, which is what I do. Like I said, not a big deal, but just seems trifle inconsiderate. Definitely not worth getting all in a snit about though.

They could have chosen a FHU site because they have health issues that need the electricity.

Or it may simply be because that was the only site left. Or the only other site was next to the smelly bathrooms.

Point: it may not have been selfishness that was behind the choice.

P.S. I have never thought it inconsiderate when I've seen motorcycles parked in separate parking spots. Honestly, I have never thought it any different.

I used to think cars parked over the line were inconsiderate. Until I realized that the car I see may not have been the issue. Too often, you pull into a lot and the spots are so tight, the bigger vehicle can't fit into a single spot. You park off to one side because of that. That vehicle leaves and it now appears you were being selfish and hogging two spots. So, I now just let it go and don't get in a tizzy over such minor things.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I know it's irrational but that doesn't prevent me from feeling a bit resentful when I pull into an RV park/campground and find there are no FHU RV sites because someone has bypassed the tent camping area to use a FHU RV site. Yep, yer pays yer money and you takes yer cherce. But I still feel they have other choices, but I don't. Nothing to rant over, or get seriously pissed, but I still feel they were being a bit selfish.

Kind of like pulling into a parking lot, and finding 5 or 6 parking spots with a single motorcycle in each, when they could easily double up, which is what I do. Like I said, not a big deal, but just seems trifle inconsiderate. Definitely not worth getting all in a snit about though.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
Hmmm
Maybe we'll get 10 pages on this forum too.

That's a given, probably at least 18 pages by Friday lol.

And by the time it settles down you'll know how to generate the electricity stolen by the tent camper using reverse osmosis with dog farts, brown sugar, and latex paint as ingredients.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmmm
Maybe we'll get 10 pages on this forum too.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Ol Phil drank the whole jug of kool-aid. He now lives in his small world of blinded fear and hate. He needs to change the channel.

Yep. I wondered if he had always been nuts so checked his post history. Seemed "normal" until this thread. Apparently something caused him to come unhinged.:h

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
PButler96 wrote:
Unless the site power is individually metered the perp was using the same power no matter if plugged into paid for site "B", or unpaid and unoccupied sites "A" or "C". Stealing? ROFLMAO.

Tent camper Tom pays the same exact amount for a FHU site that Prevost Paul would of if he did not miss the reservation boat, then plugs in his blow dryer to finish the preparation of his man bun, oh the humanity.

Guy had a point then went off the deep end.

Actually, it's a gray area.
- Your average 30amp RV is going to pull somewhere around 500-1500w on average (depends a lot on how hot and how much the air/con is running). Let's go with 1kw...so over a 20hr overnight stay, that's around 20kwh (probably a bit of a high estimate).
- An EV will typically draw until the battery is full. Let's say he's pulling at 2.5kw. Over 20hr, is 50kwh.

The RV park is likely setting it's pricing based on typical electrical usage.

If the EV tent campers are pulling an extra 30kwh at $0.25/kwh, that's $7.50 in electricity they are taking but not incorporated into the pricing.

Maybe. But I can tell you from many days of EV RV camping that itโ€™s unusual to get more than 25 or 30 kWh from a park pedestal on an overnight stay at a campground. And that is only if our trailer is unplugged. We have hydronic heat and hot water in our little trailer which means both heat and hot water use either one or two elements (selectable) to operate (or propane of course). Between that and the fridge Iโ€™m pretty sure itโ€™s drawing close to 24 amps or roughly the same as the car. The only difference is if there is a voltage drop in the park the trailer keeps drawing max whereas the car senses the voltage drop and automatically tapers current to either 18 amps (at 113 volts) or 12 amps (at 109 volts) ish. As soon as that happens we get a text indicating charging is reduced because of low voltage. It does the same thing if it senses the receptacle temperature is rising because of a poor connection.

Jmho but if there is a difference in cost itโ€™s probably closer to a couple or three bucks. Really we have never checked. Just a guess.

Might be different on a 50 amp site but we have never camped on one yet.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
PButler96 wrote:
Unless the site power is individually metered the perp was using the same power no matter if plugged into paid for site "B", or unpaid and unoccupied sites "A" or "C". Stealing? ROFLMAO.

Tent camper Tom pays the same exact amount for a FHU site that Prevost Paul would of if he did not miss the reservation boat, then plugs in his blow dryer to finish the preparation of his man bun, oh the humanity.

Guy had a point then went off the deep end.

Actually, it's a gray area.
- Your average 30amp RV is going to pull somewhere around 500-1500w on average (depends a lot on how hot and how much the air/con is running). Let's go with 1kw...so over a 20hr overnight stay, that's around 20kwh (probably a bit of a high estimate).
- An EV will typically draw until the battery is full. Let's say he's pulling at 2.5kw. Over 20hr, is 50kwh.

The RV park is likely setting it's pricing based on typical electrical usage.

If the EV tent campers are pulling an extra 30kwh at $0.25/kwh, that's $7.50 in electricity they are taking but not incorporated into the pricing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm. I guess I won't mention that my family "tented" a few times in "RV sites" before we got a TT.

We didn't want to... but it was what was available. It is not comfortable being in a tent between motorhomes.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Ol Phil drank the whole jug of kool-aid. He now lives in his small world of blinded fear and hate. He needs to change the channel.

I wonder if he would have an issue with me taking up a whole FHU site with my small motorcycle, pup tent and bed roll? I burned fossil fuel to get there so I guess I would be allowed to stay without harassment.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Ford truck guy -- X2 could not have said it better myself! The stealing was the bad thing (and the only thing) that should have been a no-no off of unoccupied sites. But it did come across as though he did not like EVs period. So if a Class B or Class C occupied those sites (say camping newbies), the OP would have no problem with that. The real problem he does not recognize, and that there are now a lot of new campers brought on by Covid taking up a lot of camping sites, not just EVs.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Considering RVs have for years "taken tent sites" (and still do), it's a bit arrogant for any RVer to complain about tents.

Also, the original poster saw this "theft" at an RV park not a campground, so the entire tent argument has nothing to do with the issue.