cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

first aid kits

southbound
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought do all of you carry first aid kits. Usually we have at leat a bandaid but this past trip forgot a kit, and don't you know that's when you need it. Took a tumble on a resturant boardwalk that the boards were sticking up. Tore up my arm and hit my head . Got bandaged, but went to an urgent care place to make sure all was o.k. Then we had to go and buy all sorts of bandages and stuff, when we had all that at home. So now on my pack list I have in big letters First Aid Kit and will leave it in the camper.Other than that mishap we had a great week two weeks ago. Have a good summer everyone and watch where you walk. ๐Ÿ™‚
Southbound
30 REPLIES 30

photonut4
Explorer
Explorer
We full time, so we are always carrying a full medicine cabinet, but we do carry a first aid kit in our hiking backpacks. Just the basics, various size bandages, neosporen, ace bandage, medical tape, etc. We always try to be prepared.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem with most off the shelf first aid kits is that they are worthless with any severe injuries and this includes large cuts. I had a coffee pot break apart in my hand in a hotel room and after more than 30 minutes no one in the hotel could locate a first aid kit. I got some duct tape from the hotel maintenance person and used the tape to stop the bleeding and then drove to the nearest drug store to get bandages large enough to use to replace the duct tape.

Now I always take a kit I put together which includes large butterfly bandages and Quikclot packets that are good for stopping bleeding as well as pain killers and antibiotics. I also have a roll of duct tape handy.

Some of the better kits are made for mountaineering and offshore sailors and they include "flash" cards that walk you through the procedure to follow for any type of injury. Much better than a first aid book in an emergency.

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
rustycopperballs wrote:

Just handy hint for your first aid kit a doctor friend of mine told me and he was in the Army as a field medic and he said one of the best blood sponges u can have in your kit is a ladies feminine pad kotex or a product like that. very absorbsent!!!

The Kotexยฎ pads evolved from the US Army Medical Corps battle dressings used during WW-II.

Yep, and tampons are great for stopping a copious nosebleed or plugging a gunshot wound. Jes sayin...
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
retired-tech wrote:
the wife is a red cross CPR and so forth instructor. therefore i always have enough medical supplies for in infantry unit in the trailer, a regular kit in the truck and some sort of supplies in all the other vehicles

You sound like us. I'm a nurse and I have an array of supplies. I tell people I can fix just about anything except broken bones or cancer. I swear, I could even deliver a baby out there if I had to.:C
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby was a paramedic years ago but at the beginning of the camping season every year he pulls out our first aid box and checks all the supplies to make sure everything is good. I also carry a first aid kit for our two dogs. I have had to use it twice for splinter in a paw and bee sting (horay for Benadryl). Glad I had the kit in both cases.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
When racing on the sailboat, when (not if) I injure myself, I use duct tape and folded paper towels until I can reasonably dress the wound.

We started our RV first aid kit with a purchased kit, removed most of the unneeded packaging, and added items that we really needed. We frequently travel in rural third world countries, so we are well inoculated and carry medicines for lower GI issues, but do carry remedies for that. Have a chat with your physician for recommendations.

I look at our kit as a quick response to stop/control bleeding, prevent infections, and rely on our ability to get to real medical care to resolve major trauma.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
rustycopperballs wrote:

Just handy hint for your first aid kit a doctor friend of mine told me and he was in the Army as a field medic and he said one of the best blood sponges u can have in your kit is a ladies feminine pad kotex or a product like that. very absorbsent!!!

The Kotexยฎ pads evolved from the US Army Medical Corps battle dressings used during WW-II.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
One other note, I had occasion to retrieve a bandaid from the firstaid kit in our TT earlier this year for a cut finger. I found that almost all of the bandaids were dried out and stuck to the paper packaging, or the adhesive was nearly useless.

That kit has been in the TT for years. Lesson learned, the components of the kit don't last forever and need regular maintenance like most other things.

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Duct tape and Kotex pads. Fixes darn near anything.

That's true. I have a wad of duct tape, a pad and a quick clot stuffed up above the web suspension in my hardhat for when I'm falling/cutting wood. A more complete kit is in the truck, which isn't usually all that far away from where I'm cutting, but if I get a gusher the pad and tape may help me make it back to the truck.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Duct tape and Kotex pads. Fixes darn near anything.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have first aid kits in everything...motorcycle, truck, cars, RV. Like others, I buy a basic kit (J&J from Walmart for us) and add to it. Also buy bottles of alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
Yes with 4 GC running around you never know, like somebody mentioned the kits you buy are junk, a few band aides and asprin. Bought a little tool box and made our own. Just handy hint for your first aid kit a doctor friend of mine told me and he was in the Army as a field medic and he said one of the best blood sponges u can have in your kit is a ladies feminine pad kotex or a product like that. very absorbsent!!!

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Keep one in the RV and another in the boat.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

firemedic08
Explorer
Explorer
Im an Army Medic, So i cary an old Combat Life saver bag (Found at most Army Surplus Stores that i stock with what various things i fell we will need depending on where we are going. The Standard i caryy is Gauze, Tape, Bandaids. Peroxide, Tylenol (Both adult and Child), Sunscreen, Various cream and ointments, and cough and cold Medicines.
Donnie
1994 Chevy 2500 Extended cab
1987 28 ft travel villa 5th wheel.