Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First setup attempt for my WD hitch. Maybe wrong

kells81
Explorer
Explorer
Here goes,

I got home from Pakistan on Sunday and went Tuesday to retrieve my RV from the dealer as they were fixing the plastic items on top due to hail damage.

I followed the directions included with the hitch as close as possible. The only thing skipped was torqueing the ball to 250ft. pounds.

After setup the front height was exactly where it began. The back was 2" higher than front pre and according to the measurements was within 1/4" of the front height after hookup.

We drove down the road about 10 miles then turned into a walmart parking lot and verified everything was still tight and measured again. The truck didn't change but looking at the pic the trailer is sitting high front low back. Trailer was leveled and tongue height measured but I am not sure what happened. I plan on dragging it over to the church parking lot and doing the setup again but maybe some pointers can be offered.

Here is the hitch I purchased

21 REPLIES 21

kells81
Explorer
Explorer
BTW the directions given with the hitch itself are vague at best.

ETA just went through the EQ website and watched vids and read the PDF manual. Even though the store I purchased my hitch says its made by EQ I am thinking they are selling a knock off. ๐Ÿ˜ž

There are small differences between the hitch in the video/manual and my hitch. The biggest one is my sway arms have a quick removal apparatus that seems wonky to me. The EQ hitch on the vid/website the bars are positively held in place.

kells81
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Here are the basics:

++Level the TOW vehicle with w/d bar adjustment...

++Level the TT with the hitch height adjustment...

++Level the w/d bars with the angle adjustment on the hitch head...

Assuming that you are on level ground, it looks like your trailer is nose high which is not good. That could induce sway.

To start with, get an adjustable ball mount shank so that you can lower the ball and the front of the trailer...then go from there with your frame measurements and your wheel well measurements.

something like this.

It has this on it. I leveled the trailer then measured and matched. I think the flaw is the rear is sitting lower than original and should have set the trailer nose low rear high but had just the opposite effect.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the basics:

++Level the TOW vehicle with w/d bar adjustment...

++Level the TT with the hitch height adjustment...

++Level the w/d bars with the angle adjustment on the hitch head...

Assuming that you are on level ground, it looks like your trailer is nose high which is not good. That could induce sway.

To start with, get an adjustable ball mount shank so that you can lower the ball and the front of the trailer...then go from there with your frame measurements and your wheel well measurements.

something like this.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
First off I say "Good for you" for taking the time to do it yourself and understand how it works. When you are on the road and something happens it is good to know your entire setup.

One thing, and I made this error initially, is that you said you measured the hitch height. Did you measure the trailer frame front and back? If so did you measure the hitch frame in front as it is lower to the ground than the actual trailer frame? It does look front high. Can you drop the hitch head down a hole on the shank? I can tell from pic if there is room for that. That would bring the trailer front down and you could then readjust. Aside from that it looks and sounds like you are doing the right thing to get it adjusted properly. The general rule is to get the front within a half inch or so of unloaded, have the trailer either level or slightly nose down. The rest is truly about the balance of weight. With measurements you are just going to get it close but once close a trip to the scale can really help you dial it in. I think you are well on your way.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your tow vehicle, the manufacturer may recommend not returning the front end completely back down to its unhitched measurement. If it is a Ford, they are currently requiring approximately half way between hitched and unhitched. The front of the trailer does look too high, but only a tape measure will tell for sure. Even with measurements and advice, I would still run it across the scales to determine the actual loading.

kells81
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I didn't notice it was HUGE so I reposted and made it smaller.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
First, Please edit the image tag and add width limit per forum rules, and my small screen:

{img}www.whatever.com/mypic.jpg width=640{/img}

There is no need to measure the height of the rear axle, only front. There are two goals: One goal is to get the front axle the same height with WD as unhitched. Second goal is to get the TT level to slightly nose down. I agree, it looks slightly nose up, but measure the frame to ground front and back to confirm.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)