cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FLA REG FEES

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
OUCH! recently moved to Fla. and was hammered by their rules. In order to register my 2010 MH you are required to get a new fla title and then get new fla tag. Cost? $450. am told the reason is fla does not have income tax so this is how they make up for it. just be aware of what to expect. cost is almost the same for a car too.:(
20 REPLIES 20

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Lucky you... Here in Michigan our MH costs $1700 / year for registration!

And the costs don't go down. If you have a MH you will be bled. My new TT which at time of purchase was about 3 times what I sold the MH for and yet the registration fee is a one time $250.00 as long as I own it. One reason why we went the trailer route vs another MH.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
In Georgia, my Travel Trailer is taxed as personal property tax. it was going to cost me $350 for my 2014 TT, but I traded for my 2016 before the reg was due.

AND I pay state income tax....

Mike

Me too, I don't have my title from FL yet but it should be here soon. I will have to pay State sales tax plus ad valorem tax. Then $18.00 for the tag. Not sure how much yet.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
W4RLR wrote:
I moved to Tennessee from Florida. The rates for registering and tagging a vehicle in Tennessee versus Florida is substantial. In Florida, impact fee of $450 for a new plate plus the title fee of $70, In Tennessee, $26 for the plate,, $30 for the title. If you are a disabled veteran, you get a lifetime plate for free. In Florida, they charge $12 a year for a DV plate.

Add the higher insurance costs in Florida, and the move to the Volunteer State was a no-brainer. I was Florida born and Florida bred, but the Florida I grew up in is long gone, south Florida is, in the words of one of my high school friends, simply another borough of New York City.

According to the Broward County Florida Revenue Collection website, it cost $225 to get a new plate for someone moving from another state or a Floridian putting an additional vehicle on the road. The title fees are

New Vehicles $77.25
Vehicles previously registered in Florida $75.25
Vehicles previously registered in another state or country $85.25
Note: Add an additional $2 to the application fee when recording a lien.
Lien add only $74.25
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

........ AND no emissions testing. For me the no emissions testing was the grabber for buying a home here. :W

P.S. Plan ahead.

Better plan ahead for your next "grabber" when the EPA requires emissions testing..:(

~

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
I moved to Tennessee from Florida. The rates for registering and tagging a vehicle in Tennessee versus Florida is substantial. In Florida, impact fee of $450 for a new plate plus the title fee of $70, In Tennessee, $26 for the plate,, $30 for the title. If you are a disabled veteran, you get a lifetime plate for free. In Florida, they charge $12 a year for a DV plate.

Add the higher insurance costs in Florida, and the move to the Volunteer State was a no-brainer. I was Florida born and Florida bred, but the Florida I grew up in is long gone, south Florida is, in the words of one of my high school friends, simply another borough of New York City.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
HA -- you guys are lucky. Massachusetts charges Sales Tax six percent when you buy a vehicle, then another USE FEE of the same amount six percent on top of that, and it charges it EVERY YEAR reducing it by some small amount until the vehicle is about ten years old, then charges that fee of about fifty dollars every year as long as you own it ...

So for a new $40,000 truck, you pay $2400 sales tax AND $2400 use tax when you buy it, plus a use tax each year on top of registration fees. That's why we called it Taxacusetts !!!
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
This is so simple. Don't like the terms, please go somewhere else.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
We don't want nor will we tolerate a state income tax. If it prevents others from moving here so be it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
As stated, the $450 is an impact fee. You pay it once. If you should get rid of a vehicle that you have paid the impact fee on, you do not pay an impact fee on the replacement. This applies even if you wait a few years to replace one. I just picked up a new to me xtra vehicle and they applied the fee from a car I got rid of several years ago so I didn't have to pay the fee.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Ontario we have taxes on everything but I payed a one time only $32 on my TT.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure don't understand why someone living in Michigan and registering a Class A MH would have to pay $1700 a year for registering with the yearly tags?

We have always lived in West Michigan and is where all our RV's, vehicles, and boats have been titled and licensed and it's very cheap. Except for the large boat/boats we'd kept in Florida for 19 years and yes, it was outrageous costs. Been RV'ing for 52 years now and had many RV's, boats, and trailers.

Our big Allegro Class A (had 3 of them over 18 years time span) was a whopping $250 a year for plates in Michigan because it's a motorized vehicle and needs yearly plates. Our big 3 axle Carriage 5th wheel (18,000 GVWR) was a one time charge of $250 for never expiring license plates (only way you can license them) and the one time title cost when new was $11. No other charges, impact fees, etc and no personal property taxes either in Michigan. The same one time $250 for our never expiring plates on our 29' Carriage Carrilite 5th wheel.

Single axle boat trailer one time never expiring license fee is $75 and we have 3 of them and one single axle 6 X 12 vee nose enclosed trailer. Just bought another Cuddy Cabin I/O in June 2016 and it was still $75 for the non expiring plate. Our double axle boat trailer was a one time $150 as was our 26' Sunlite Solaris TT. No plates required for truck campers as they are considered titled cargo on a licensed vehicle.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Twenty two or twenty four dollars, no matter if is a high end Prevost or small camper and no income tax.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yup!
My SUV is around $400. MH's have a totally different rate much lower for impact fee and yearly registration.

It is an impact fee. A ONE time fee for title and registration coming in from another state. Plates are around $100 so the impact fee is actually around $300 or lower depending on the type of vehicle. MH's are much lower.

Thereafter the rates can't be beat, AND no emissions testing. For me the no emissions testing was the grabber for buying a home here. :W

Not to mention no state income tax. IMHO the one time impact fee was a moot point when you figure all the other savings. AND don't forget all the discounts you might qualify for and/or homestead act on real estate property taxes.The list of discounts is endless!!

P.S. Plan ahead. Just don't register your vehicle right before your birthday! Cause they expire on your birthday. So say you get your plates a month before your birthday you will be buying them AGAIN 30 days later on your birthday!!!!:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The initial fee on everything in FL helped us select another state for our domicile. It was going to cost us almost $1,000 for the intial fee on everything plus the registration and tag fees. We would have been transferring from another state. It should be cheaper next year and thereafter.