cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel Availability

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We're leaving Sunday from south Louisiana heading to Maine and parts in between. Was wonder if anyone is having problems finding diesel while on the road. Not worried about prices, it is what it is. Thanks
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport
21 REPLIES 21

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:

My thoughts are that some of the smaller stations may stop filling there diesel tanks simply because they don't have the capitol to pay for thousands of gallons at that price.

This makes 0 sense in time of rising prices. You buy 10,000 gallons, expecting to sell for $4.00 a gallon. But the price goes up, and you sell that fuel for average price of $5, you have $10,000.00 extra to pay for the next tank full.
Dropping price is more likely to hurt a station that pays for fuel up front.

I agree there is money to be made. But the old adage that it takes money to make money is still true. They need to have $60,000 to fill that 10,000 gallon tank.

NO...all fuel stations run on consignment from the suppliers or distributors, no retail station is paying upfront for fuel inventory, whether it's diesel or anything else.

There was an article in Bloomberg recently about potential shortages in the Northeast due to a NJ refinery being offline and also no crude coming in from Russia to the East coast. The government has released reserves to keep the supply adequate but prices were reported to be $6/gal in some areas.

It doesn't sound like we are seeing any actual shortages based on replies to this thread.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't cry about $6/gallon fuel. Ask a Canadian what they are paying.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Have been many rumors about diesel fuel shortages, but none that I've heard of here in upstate NY. Any of the major fuel places are going to be the highest priced IMO. Couple years ago, fuel along the Mass pike was cheap compared to NY. Back in '17 we stopped at a independent truck stop along 95 before turning due south for Bar Harbor and price wasn't too bad then. Then again, I stop at places that have a high turn-over of fuel.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:

My thoughts are that some of the smaller stations may stop filling there diesel tanks simply because they don't have the capitol to pay for thousands of gallons at that price.

This makes 0 sense in time of rising prices. You buy 10,000 gallons, expecting to sell for $4.00 a gallon. But the price goes up, and you sell that fuel for average price of $5, you have $10,000.00 extra to pay for the next tank full.

I agree there is money to be made. But the old adage that it takes money to make money is still true. They need to have $60,000 to fill that 10,000 gallon tank.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live near in Massachusetts near Providence RI and have been to Connecticut, New Hampshire and Maine in the last 2 weeks and there is plenty of Deisel fuel. I didn't notice the price though. I was talking to a fellow camper this last weekend. He has a Super C that he just ran back home to Ma. From Florida. He said he had no problem getting fuel all the way up the east coast.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't seen any shortages of diesel in PA. And I drove from PA to Florida last week and Diesel was available the whole length.
I don't see it running out when nobody can afford it. Over $6.50 a gallon here in PA.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500