cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas islands

jma3910
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled into a QT for gas and had a difficult time getting to the pump. Everyone drives all over the place.

If you go to a truck stop, is gasoline available in the truck islands, or is it just diesel?
26 REPLIES 26

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely fuel up while attached unless when driving by I see a really good price. I have 88 gal cap so I can fuel up after I have parked the rig. I don't do one night stands so I have the next day or so to hunt out where to buy fuel. I have gasbuddy app on my phone so can fine the cheapest fuel.
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

dlos
Explorer
Explorer
There's a book called "The Next Exit" that covers all major interstates and other roads often traveled by RV'ers. It details stops where there are RV friendly gas stations, restaurants, rest stops and more.

It's well worth the expense to have this resource when traveling in unfamiliar places. Saves time and aggravation for sure.
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew, 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2010 KZ Spree 240BHS LX
Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

Nights Camped in 2015: 18

CaptJeff1731
Explorer
Explorer
If you drive a dodge you can fill them using the fast flow large nozzles . They are made for it.

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
jdog wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
mileshuff -- maybe a good thing you couldn't figure it out. From reading, it seems that the diesel in the truck lanes is a high volume/ fast fill. Private passenger truck may not be able to handle that, not sure.

I pulled into a place that had diesel only. Not only was it high volume, they also had larger nozzles that don't fit in pick-ups or Class C motorhomes. Everyone of the nozzles were this way.

I removed the "disk" in the filler neck. I love filling at truck stops with the big nozzles, can be totally fueled in about a minute or so...then back on the road.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
The only damage ever on the MH happened at a gas island. Some fool pulled ahead of me then backed up practically against my bumper, went inside and never came back. I sat till my patience ran out then tried to ease around him; of course the left rear corner of the MH barely rubbed the large steel pole on the end just enough to peel the corner trim off about two feet from the bottom. If the guy had come back I don't know what I'd have done but I left and his piece of******car was still there.

shootandfish1
Explorer
Explorer
Posts so far have been my experience, too.

When I ordered my F-250 gasser, the larger 38 gal (?) tank was one of the reasons that I got the std cab 8 ft bed model.

On long trips, even with the larger tank, I don't like getting much lower than 1/2 tank, especially the first time I'm on a new route.

And I've re-discovered Rest-Areas and for taking breaks while towing, no wasted time. I can park, use the bath-room, stretch my legs, do a 'walk-around' the truck and trailer much better than I can at Flying J, Loves, ect.

I am seriously thinking about carrying extra gas on my next trip and either 'top-off' while taking a Rest Area break or drive further between stops at the pump and still have a 'respectful' reserve. I should add that my new trailer is a boat and I will already have portable gas tanks with me. (Need to update my signature)

Fred
2003 F-250 4x4 Reg Cab 5.4l V-8 Gas 6spd 4.10 Camper Package Bilstiens Michelin XPS Traction Prodigy Brake Controller

SeaArk Superjon 2072 with 115 Yamaha

2009 8.5x24 Diamond Cargo Trailer

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
jdog wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
mileshuff -- maybe a good thing you couldn't figure it out. From reading, it seems that the diesel in the truck lanes is a high volume/ fast fill. Private passenger truck may not be able to handle that, not sure.

I pulled into a place that had diesel only. Not only was it high volume, they also had larger nozzles that don't fit in pick-ups or Class C motorhomes. Everyone of the nozzles were this way.

It depends on your truck... We've had several Dodge diesels since '99 and have always filled in the truck lanes. Same with my GMC. But a friend who had a Ford diesel could not fit the larger nozzle into his tank. That was back in the late '90's so Ford may have changed their design now....

As for the card readers - just go in and pay.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know most people don't mean to be thoughtless & uncaring for anyone else but that is the way many are. They have never driven a large vehicle so they have no clue of what the challenges, & how car drivers can make them easier, at gas stations are.

Diesel is often at the end islands, the easiest islands to get to. Gas is also available at these pumps so where do you think the thoughtless car driver goes? The car driver has the option of using any of the gas only islands. The diesel RVer or truck driver does not.

It gets interesting sometimes.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
You need to have a sharp eye

before

entering a gas station.
If I see a bunch of cars, I'll just drive right on by.....Jack L

X2!

Once you start RV'ing you need to pick your battles. Definitely not the same as getting gas with your car. Look ahead and decide if you can fit 'before' entering or move on down the road to the next one.

Also, be sure to check out the slope of the driveway in too. Many are too steep for TT's and MH's.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of refueling options between QT (and similar convenience stores) and truck stops.

Most convenience store chains are designed to draw customers inside to buy high-margin drinks and snacks, and a high proportion of the traffic doesn't buy fuel. Fueling lanes are pointed toward the store because that's where they want you to go next. These layouts make the places a poor choice to get fuel, even with a fairly small vehicle. I try to pass them up, unless it is a time of day when the place is almost empty.

Many similar size stations with smaller store business either align pumps parallel to the store front, or better separate the pumps from the store parking areas. This is particularly the case in rural areas, where a higher proportion of the refueling traffic is expected to be towing. People don't drop their stock trailers or hay wagons to get gas, so the company wanting to sell fuel designs stations to handle the traffic.

I find it adequate to size up stations before pulling in, with the expectation that I might go on down the road if nothing fits at this stop. Part of the strategy for doing this means not getting desperate for fuel, not running tanks to empty.

Usually the "travel center" chains that handle a mix of truck and car traffic are roomier out front around the car pumps: Love's, T/A, sometimes Pilot (although Pilot owns a lot of small stations too). Flying J, and Pilot travel centers that were formerly Flying J, usually have RV pumps, configured like the pull through truck pumps.

Truck refueling centers in urban areas that are not full service truck stops are often a bad choice, even if you can use diesel. The pricing and taxing may be commercial, and I've found some that are "pull-in, back-out" to more efficiently use limited high-price urban real estate. This is OK for truckers, who know how to back up, but not for many RVers, who may not be prepared for the challenge of backing out of tight places.

For routes I frequently travel, I make it a point to remember my preferred refueling stops, just as I do with my overnight locations. Venturing into strange territory, it is more a matter of check it out on approach, drive past if it doesn't fit well.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
jma3910 wrote:
I pulled into a QT for gas and had a difficult time getting to the pump. Everyone drives all over the place.

jma3910, boy you know that's right. I figure my best chance of a car wreck is at QT ๐Ÿ™‚ No way I'd pull a camper thru one. I gas the Seadoo there sometimes, that's bad enough.

jessjerr1831 wrote:
get their gas or diesel and then go inside. Leaving their rigs at the pumps

This is one of my per peeves, cars, trucks, whatever. Just get the gas and move it!

Everybody gripes abput the price of gas, but just try to get next to a pump at QT:R

One time I was following a guy to a pump at QT and he started pulling BETWEEN the pumps, to get to the other side. It's enough to make me consider a fuel service, just come to the house one a week, fill everthing up ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Getting gas is more difficult than getting diesel. Truck stops make filling with diesel simple. Access to diesel is always foolproof.
Gas is luck of the draw when you are not familiar with the area. Once you find a station that works,remember it via GPS or Next Exit.
Unfortunately there is no guide to Big Rig Gas Pumps.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637