cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Obsrevations.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last weekend I was a campground where some of the people were without power and using generators.

One person had a Honda 6500 EU (I think) and it was setting in the bed of his pickup. When I walked past it may have been at idle because it didn't seem to be running very fast. But, it was very quiet. Especially so because it was in the bed of his truck and the sound was all being directed upwards.

A second person had a Honda 2000 and it was setting behind his TT. Putting it back there may have been best for making it quiet for him but, I was glad not to be the person setting next to him... Unless,,, he was just using it to charge his batteries during the day and shutting it off at night. If he was that would have been OK

A third person had a generator that was yellow in color. I did not get the brand name because he had it setting way out in the wood next to the swamp with; what seemed like; and 250 foot cord running to his camper. This actually worked because the generator was so far away that it wasn't really bothering anybody. However, I could see some campground where there was no way this would work. He had local license plates on his truck and probably had done this before and knew the drill.

So my, one time, quick, observation would seem to say that putting a big Honda in the bed of your pickup is the way to go. But, I didn't get a chance to talk to that person because he was not around when I knocked on his door.
25 REPLIES 25

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd suggest the Champion 3400 with remote electric start rather than the Honda. It does some very nice things, such as shutting off the power before 'spin down', so electrical items are not subject to weird wave forms and the like. It has a bit more capacity than the Honda, and best of all has the wireless remote start feature built in.

On my Yamaha with a Pinella remote--I'm going to need a way to trickle charge the generator starter battery while the key is turned on. I almost never use the generator (3 tanks of fuel in a year of full timing). I did try just connecting to the 7 pin connector--but when I started the Yamaha it "took out" the relay on connector, so I'll need something similar to a trik-l-start.

rjsurfer wrote:

I have decided instead to spend the money I had set aside for solar expansion and get a 3000is Honda instead.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
winniman wrote:
As a contactractor, I can tell you that the inverter Hondas are not only quiet, but they burn about half the fuel of a normal non inverter generator. The price tag is high, but if you use them a lot, the fuel savings will add up quick. A normal generator for building uses five gallons a day. The same sized inverter generator will go two days on the same fuel.

You may be right about the Honda but your spelling sucks big time...:D

Nothing wrong with spelling. Contac-tractor
He's the guy you contact to get a tractor. Generator is optional.

Op is right Honda 6500 is one nice unit.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
A big issue is what are you powering.
- Just charging the batteries and some minor stuff, it's hard to hear our Yamaha 2400 inverter.
- Running the air...it's going flat out and you can hear it (the other brands including Honda are similar).

Likewise, the fuel saving are mostly if you don't need much power. Running heavy loads, they will still use a good bit of fuel.

We generally wind up using ours when it's hot and the RV park voltage drops below around 108V. If the park has an issue, they can fix their electrical system.

PS: One issue with the 250ft extension cord is for anything more than really light loads, voltage loss can be an issue unless the cord is oversized substantially.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
winniman wrote:
As a contactractor, I can tell you that the inverter Hondas are not only quiet, but they burn about half the fuel of a normal non inverter generator. The price tag is high, but if you use them a lot, the fuel savings will add up quick. A normal generator for building uses five gallons a day. The same sized inverter generator will go two days on the same fuel.

You may be right about the Honda but your spelling sucks big time...:D
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

winniman
Explorer
Explorer

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I have some solar panels (300 watts ) and the associated parts, inverter, lithium batteries and charge controller from my last camper which I will be installing in my new camper. But, I will not be expanding that solar system. I too had listened to a 3000Is setup in the bed of a truck and was blown away by it's quietness.

I have decided instead to spend the money I had set aside for solar expansion and get a 3000is Honda instead.

I plan to mount it semi permanently in the bed of the truck and get the remote start option. When setting up at a new campsite if air conditioner isn't needed I can run most everything I need off solar and when the need arises to use the AC or microwave, hit the remote start and I'm good to go.

We have been a little disappointed in the solar side of generating power when camping, since most of our camping is East of the Mississippi, shade is a killer for solar.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
What ever happened to Ford's "Camper Special" pickup version of years ago?

Their Camper Special gas pickups had a generator built-in/mounted right under the hood that was fed from the main gasoline fuel tank. The sound was nicely muffled to the outside and hardly heard inside.

It seems like adding this option back into the Ford, Chevy, and Ram pickup truck option choices would be a real hit these days - especially if the built-in generator was an inverter model that could run at far less than full throttle most of the time.

:h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did keep the CO factor in mind, but I believe there is some sort of fan on the 3000 because there is quite a force on the exhaust from the generator which directs it sideways at a decent rate.

I never had the windows on the OH cab open when running the generator and I was always awake and about when running it for the couple of hours a day. On the first few outings with this set-up I even brought a box fan to plug into the genny when it was running if the alarm ever sounded, but it never did.

I was very cognizant of the possibility and took precautions as best possible and the CO alarm never signaled.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
...So my, one time, quick, observation would seem to say that putting a big Honda in the bed of your pickup is the way to go. But, I didn't get a chance to talk to that person because he was not around when I knocked on his door.

When I had my TC, I built a simple frame to place between the front of the camper and the truck bulkhead. It is custom fit to keep my generator in place. I do believe the Honda 3000 is even quieter that the equivalent eU counterparts. I noticed very little offensive noise. Any sounds, as observed and alluded by the OP, went up and then had to change direction again by virtue of hitting the underside of the camper. This attenuated further the decibels.

It was very quiet inside and out and I would run it for an hour or two when in the backwoods and perhaps to run the MW for a few minute.

Did Carbon Monoxide ever concern you with that set up?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
...So my, one time, quick, observation would seem to say that putting a big Honda in the bed of your pickup is the way to go. But, I didn't get a chance to talk to that person because he was not around when I knocked on his door.

When I had my TC, I built a simple frame to place between the front of the camper and the truck bulkhead. It is custom fit to keep my generator in place. I do believe the Honda 3000 is even quieter that the equivalent eU counterparts. I noticed very little offensive noise. Any sounds, as observed and alluded by the OP, went up and then had to change direction again by virtue of hitting the underside of the camper. This attenuated further the decibels.

It was very quiet inside and out and I would run it for an hour or two when in the backwoods and perhaps to run the MW for a few minute.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The better inverter generators are sweet, clean power and super quiet but that comes with a hefty price tag. Camper #2 probably had an imported open frame construction type unit, cheap but noisy.