cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Quit Running

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spent the night at a BIG Texas Rest Stop. Only load I had was the fan for the furnace. I had turned the 120V refrigerator off for the night. I am sure I didn't need the gen running but didn't want to be stuck without enough power to start the Gen to pull in the slides in the am.

So around 6am after about 8 hours run time it quit. I assumed it had ran out of propane.

Later in the day after getting fuel at Loves I decided to fill the tanks. HMMMMM first tank had around 3 gallons left and back tank was full.

Got to camp and sure enough the cooktop burner lit and so did the Gen.

Why would the gen quit with no load other than replacing the heater fan use ???

It was 13 degrees out.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
20 REPLIES 20

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
A I had a Safari DP with Onan propane generator, 6200w on LP,
The 100# frame mounted tanks are set up for liquid delivery, the vaporizer? Is mounted at the generator intake manifold, where the carburetor would have been,
AFAIK LP from 30# cylinders is strictly vapor feed Not LIQUID,
A pressure regulator at the cylinders can Ice Up, from the moisture in the tanks freezing due to the COLD outside ambient temperature and the cold produced by the vaporizing of the LP, the lower the LP volume, the more likely this will happen
Also sometimes in southern states in warmer weather you get LP that is more butane than propane,should not be the problem if you filled the cylinders recently, but if it's been a few months, like summer or early fall? Who knows?
butane will not turn from liquid to vapor at 13ยฐF, as temperature drops below 32ยฐF, the process slows down until it reaches the point where it stops, the generator simply gets no fuel or not enough fuel to stay running, neither will the heater etc..and the regulator does not have to be iced up (frozen), there is simply no fuel vapor to burn

This ^^^ Propane will not freeze. I heat my house with it in MN at temps of 20 below f. But, if you got a bad bunch of propane with some water in it then the regulator can freeze. And, some filling places down south are putting some of the cheaper butane in your tanks and then charging you for propane. I've heard of that happening.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
That tank had been filled in DFW, TX a week before.

So basically propane is not the best setup if in cold weather! Not in cold weather much but if I am I sure want my equipment to work!

I will be looking into what I need for changing over my 6500 to Gas.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MrWizard
A I had a Safari DP with Onan propane generator, 6200w on LP,
The 100# frame mounted tanks are set up for liquid delivery, the vaporizer? Is mounted at the generator intake manifold, where the carburetor would have been,
AFAIK LP from 30# cylinders is strictly vapor feed Not LIQUID,
A pressure regulator at the cylinders can Ice Up, from the moisture in the tanks freezing due to the COLD outside ambient temperature and the cold produced by the vaporizing of the LP, the lower the LP volume, the more likely this will happen
Also sometimes in southern states in warmer weather you get LP that is more butane than propane,should not be the problem if you filled the cylinders recently, but if it's been a few months, like summer or early fall? Who knows?
butane will not turn from liquid to vapor at 13ยฐF, as temperature drops below 32ยฐF, the process slows down until it reaches the point where it stops, the generator simply gets no fuel or not enough fuel to stay running, neither will the heater etc..and the regulator does not have to be iced up (frozen), there is simply no fuel vapor to burn
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I read placing the LP tank upside down will not freeze up.

Turning the tank upside down means you are drawing off liquid propane rather than propane vapor. Good luck with running appliances on that.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I read placing the LP tank upside down will not freeze up.

I also watched a video, the guy changed a LP 5500 Onan to gas. Looked easy.

Then I would need to install some sort of fuel tank.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
LP tank probably "froze". Constant negative pressure running a tank in cold weather it will freeze up.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thinking to swap out the 6500 Commercial 220V for a Diesel. Propane too thirsty and not pleased that it would ice up and stop running.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksbowman wrote:
Darryl&Rita wrote:
13 degrees? Froze up the propane tanks. I know they aren't really frozen, but you know what I mean.
I bet this is your problem. Turn it on the full tank and see if will run now. If it does then extreme cold was probably it.

Agreed.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
Darryl&Rita wrote:
13 degrees? Froze up the propane tanks. I know they aren't really frozen, but you know what I mean.
I bet this is your problem. Turn it on the full tank and see if will run now. If it does then extreme cold was probably it.

I agree had it happen hunting , kept switching tanks . I donโ€™t run with both open .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I though I remember this being an issue with someone else with the cold weather.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Darryl&Rita wrote:

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not know about propane Generators but on "Main engine Fuel" generators the generator runs out of fuel "Early" (like 1/4 tank) First time My Genny quit on me I knew this but did not know I was at quarter tank till I turned ye old key.

Most LARGER propane generators suck liquid propane so when the liquid level drops BELOW the outlet pick up.. IT starves and dies.

I stress however that I am GUESSING.. Not an expert on that type.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"Should the window show "Green" when ample Propane is present and "Red" when empty?"

Mine do, would expect, from pic, that yours are similar.

Not sure at what temp, but at cold temp extreme, propane does not flow as well in 20-30 lb cylinders, especially if cylinder is less than half full. Some will use a 100 lb bottle type, for this reason.

Jerry

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er