cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator will not stay running

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Kohler Confidant 4 Generator in a 1997 (Ford V10) Damon Hornet Class C. The gen will not stay running. I have plenty of gas. Oil is full (could probably be changed). Spark plug is fine.
It will start, but wont stay running. If I hold the switch on (either in the coach or on the gen) it will stay running but quits when I let go.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Dave, Janeen, Lane, Mady and Brooke
Coventry, RI
22 REPLIES 22

MrWizard
if it runs as along as you hold the button down ?

you have lost a signal

either the low oil switch or the power signal to the relay that is connected to the low oil switch

the switch provides the ground for the relay, the OK to run signal aka power comes from field voltage supplied by the control board
the board is the third suspect, some times something goes bad between the relay and the voltage regulator,
you will probably end up replacing the board, old models the voltage regulator was a separate component board, more modern models its all on one board

there is nothing in the carb that is used in running and not used in starting and vise versa, with the exception of the choke when cold, the fuel pump must work be working or you would NOT get repeated starts while trouble shooting
fuel pump failure is pretty easy to diagnose, NO fuel in carb bowl
many a fuel pump has been replaced and did not help, when it was a control board problem
the start function bypasses the low oil switch and OK to run circuit, because there is NO latching signal until it is running

Chris or Doug may come on with a better explantion
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SaveTheCars
Explorer
Explorer
FYI Not sure what type of gas you are using, but if you are using gas w ethanol it will only stay 3 -4 weeks good unless you use a stabilizer in the gas and keep the gas tank full. The ethanol breaks down rather quickly (depending where you are) its not made to last. Keep the RV full of gas with an additive. And you should start it one time a week or at least every other week and let it run for 15 min or so. Hope this helps...

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
Can I clean the jet or do I need to replace?
Coventry, RI

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't exercise it enough. Probably an hour every 3 months.
Coventry, RI

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
I would suggest a dirty/clogged carburetor jet from sitting with ethanol gas in it.
This would be my guess as well.

Do you exercise the generator regularly?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suggest a dirty/clogged carburetor jet from sitting with ethanol gas in it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
My genset has given me problems throughout the years. They have included:

Inability to start or stay on when it is very cold.

Didn't start at all due to a bad fuel pump.

Didn't start due to being at 3/4 or less of a tank of gas.

Wouldn't start due to bad plug or oil, which was solved by taking it in for a major service.

I did read recently on another forum about someone whose genset would cut off intermittently due to the voltage regulator being bad.

Best of luck in your quest.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a fuel pump going bad. You could rig up a small container to gravity feed the generator and see if it stays running.
'17 F450 CCLB Platinum dually