Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting back into RV'ing

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all-

Took a few years off from RV'ing. Sold my last rig (32' BH) and TV (Ram 3500 diesel) about 3-4 years ago.

I've had TT, MH, and 5th wheel. Last rig was a TT.

I do not have a TV, other than a 2004 Toyota Sequoia 2WD. Gross trailer capacity is 6500#. I tow our pontoon boat (3500#) to local lakes and other lakes as far away as 400 miles. TV handles great, as it is well within its limits.

We are now thinking of getting another RV. Can't decide which way to go. We are thinking of a summer 2-3 week trip to Florida summer 2015. The majority of our trips will be locales in CA and southwest; between 150 miles to 500 miles. Due to work, I can take % trips a year TOTAL as follows.....5 day trips 3X a year, one trip at 14 days, and one trip 7 days max.

We have a budget of $15K max for a used TT, 5W, or MH. I may consider a new pick up if we go the TT/5th wheel route. I know it's not a lot of $$, but it's what we have.

Based on this information I was hoping to get some input on suggested rigs for us to consider; both the RV and pick ups.

Wife really likes 5W. Whatever rig we chose would be 32' max length 5W, 28' max TT, or 30' Max MH. It is what I am comfortable driving towing.

My last TV was a RAM diesel Great truck, but lost tranny at 75K miles and it was not cheap to repair. Are the new 1/2 ton gas pick ups capable of towing a 32' 5W safely? Not sold on paying $45-$50K on a new diesel PU. If I go with a new PU, it will become my daily driver, hence the reason for a 1/2 ton gas.

NOTE: Sure wish there was a way to take our pontoon boat with us on some trips. I know everything is a sacrifice. We also want the ability to have a vehicle for sight seeing once we get to RV park/campground. We stay at a mixture of places 50% at RV parks, 40% RV campgrounds with some utilities but not all, and about 10% of occasional dry camping.

Thanks for the input!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
10 REPLIES 10

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention....after looking at MH in our original $15K budget, we were NOT impressed. Now the MH budget has been increased to $40K. If we go truck and trailer, it will be a used one ton truck dually crew cab with a 5er or TT (budget $40K).
Equal-i-zer 10K

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I gave up on having it both ways. Therefore, we don't travel far whenever we want to take our boat. And, when we take the boat, I tow it with the motorhome and wife follows in the 4x4 GMC Envoy. It works for us.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
we looked at 5th wheels..we're older..kids grown..the big truck purchase..yeah..just went with a motor home..coz..we can pull off..easy lunch..fire up gen if it's hot weather..run ac or furnace..fridge there...toilet..yea..
enterprise..picks you up..good travels on whichever..
oh..interstate shut downs..that's a easy deal in the motor home..with a full gas tank..
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE.....

Took DW to see two MHs. PROS: She likes the comfort provided while towing (rr breaks, snack breaks, kids can sleep, watch movies, relax, etc). CONS: she doesn't like that we have to tow a car or rent a car or we are stuck at campground; she likes to get away and sight see with the kids while we are at our destination.

MH will also sit 95% of time while I still make payments including insurance. Not good!

5er: Truck Not too comfortable while on longer trips. 5er/TT just as comfortable as MH when we get to our destination. Payment and insurance yes, but can use as a daily driver. Truck will not sit 95% of the time! Cost for truck used or new is high.

What say all of you out there who have contemplated truck with 5er or TT VS MH for family use???

Thanks
Equal-i-zer 10K

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest the TT because it will cost less initially, will be easy to cut loose from and leave the bed of the truck open for bicycles and toys. Would a used truck be an option? I definitely think at least a 3/4 ton mega cab should be in your future. As little as you are planning on towing, I think you would be fine with a gasser or diesel. I am a little jealous because I already have my rig; RV shopping is fun!

SLOW-1
Explorer
Explorer
I struggled with the same questions when I was shopping for my families RV.

We ended up getting a MH and really enjoy it.

Mine is 32' which seems to work out well...big enough for the 5 of us, but small enough to go most anywhere (the National Mall, Glacier Point, Hollywood Blvd, etc). For the most part, no need for a car.

We looked at 20 different MH's and found that the ones with slides, while great parked, where no good for the people in the back while traveling...hard to see the country with a wall in the way.

We have pulled my 20' boat to the Keys many times with no problem.

The last trip, we rented a car while we were there, that worked out great for us.
Take time to be nice to someone today.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32 (454 Chevy)
Check out our first cross country trip.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Well it appears that after much research on this board, we are now even MORE confused!!!

Can't decide between a MH and 5th wheel/TT. Most say purchase based on your intended uses. Most of the results on the search resulted in answers from full timers or snow birds; not much on family making decisions such as ours.

Our decision is based on a family of four (2 adults 2 kids 9 and 14), one small dog and occasional inclusion with granny aboard with her small dog.

Our uses are as follows....

1. Southwest.... use at CA Sierras, CA beaches, Lake Tahoe, Lake Havasu, Grand Canyon, local lakes, campgrounds, and one summer trip across country (summer 2015-Florida). Summer 2016-Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington).

2. Our stays will be 4 days in Nov., 7 days in Dec., 4 days in Feb and 4 in Apr., 15 days in July. That's a MAX of 34 days per year for the next 10 years (until retirement!).

3. We usually go to our destination and stay put. It would be nice to have a vehicle to get around the local area for sightseeing.

Here are our results with pros/cons on MH vs 5er/TT:

MH+1... allows for convenience traveling with pets.
MH+1... allows for potty and rest, sleep of passengers while driver can still be traveling
MH+1... option to tow our pontoon boat when we want
MH-1... tow vehicle for sightseeing (additional cost and maintenance)
MH-1...sits at home unused for 331 days (payment, insurance and mechanics of unit not being used)
MH-1...another drive train to maintain

5er/TT+1... larger, more comfortable based on like-size MH
5er/TT+1... cost less than MH
5er/TT+1... insurance cost less, less depreciation over time vs MH
5er/TT+1... sits at home unused for 331 days per year (payment less than MH, Insurance less than MH, mechanics not as adversely affected as with MH)
5er/TT+1... TV can become my daily driver (sold my last PU a year ago and have been missing it ever since!)
5er/TT+1... will have a vehicle for sightseeing
5er/TT-1... must have a TV 1/2 or 3/4 ton
5er/TT-1... 2 payments (1 TV and 1 5er or TT)
5er/TT-1... not very comfortable 4-5 people in TV with one or two pets

This is what I have come up with so far. Please add to our Pro/Con list as we try and figure out what unit we should purchase.

Thanks
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Lou, I thought of that idea. In CA, doubles are only allowed when towing a 5er. Also, a 65' max length applies. I would not meet the 65' max length with a full size pu, 30' 5er and my pontoon which is 28.5' total length.

dreeder....I figure if PU was going to be my daily driver, I would prefer it to be a 1/2 ton. This does limit it to a TT in my opinion. Not real comfortable towing a 5er with a 1/2 ton.

A MH is also a possibility.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
If you are set on a 1/2 ton I would focus on a travel trailer. If you can stomach it, I suppose you could get away with a 5th wheel on one of the Ford F-150 HD's.....:B

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Question.....where you live, would you be allowed to ..have a pick up towing a TT and tow behind the TT your boat? If so, this would work for all your wants.

We have an Avalanche and we tow a 27/30' TT. Behind the TT we tow our 20' boat. We have no problem, are within our length and weight allowances and most of all Legal.