cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glad I have an RV - Major Fire in Black Forest, CO

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Within days of the one-year anniversary of the Waldo Canyon Fire, I took a picture from my back porch last night of a small wildfire at the north end of the USAF Academy. They got that one out overnight...and then the Black Forest fire started today and they sent us home early from work to get ready for evacuation. It's about 10 miles SE of us right now, and moving SSE if the winds remain as predicted, so we should be ok...if winds remain as predicted.

KKTV Reporting

Having an RV sure does make this easier. We keep it pretty close to ready and I just filled the freshwater tank. Clothes are packed in the house...just need to take them out with some food and drive away. We keep the keepsakes packed in small boxes in the storage room so it'll take us about 10 minutes to load them into the other car. It's nice knowing I can use my vacation-mobile to be a little more prepared for natural disasters.

Lots of folks have already lost homes but no reports yet of injuries. Our community is coming together quickly and opening up animal shelters, people shelters, donation centers, etc. The military bases nearby (we have several) are sending personnel and equipment to help, and putting more on standby so they can relieve the first crews. It's really pretty amazing to see what people will do for total strangers in times like this. (Of course, it's also amazing to see how others will take advantage of situations like this.)

There are three other fires raging in Colorado right now.
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/
10 REPLIES 10

Mike___Fran
Explorer
Explorer
Know how you feel with the wildfires in west Texas two years ago! We had our M/Home ready with tow attached to evacuate. Thank God it missed us by one mile!!!Very glad you are safe..

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
We're so glad you are safe. Called our son in the Springs and he explained that this is reminiscent of the fires 2 yrs ago. We are due to arrive there first week of July...we'll see.
I agree with your "evacuation mobile"...we are going to keep ours pretty well set to move in the event of a hurricane, ya just never know.
Good for Walmart!...maybe the company should start to build a small RV park with their new buildings:)..but hey, they have huge parking lots.
Be safe and please keep us posted.

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
We evacuated in time...things are good. Had a pizzeria deliver specialty pizzas right to the RV. Life could be worse, all things considered.

A local Walmart said they have 100 RVs in their parking lot, and they're welcoming them all.
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

iawoody2
Explorer
Explorer
Be safe. I remember my Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared"

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the RV as lifeboat is a wonderful thing to have available. We are in a wildfire and earthquake area so having a home on wheels with a 700 mile range gives comfort. Even if we only need it parked out front for the time it takes for the utilities to come back on line. We hope everyone remains safe.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
June12 ~ 7,000 evacuated in Black Forest Fire and 80 homes lost so far.
Hope you got out of dodge in time.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Stay safe Jeff, I'm glad to hear you are prepared. I hope it doesn't get as bad as last year.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you are all ok. I'll need to Google that fire. We lived on Ward Lane many years ago.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Stay safe hope the winds shift so you don't have to evacuate.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tomdinwv
Explorer
Explorer
Can't imagine dealing with those wildfire you guys have out west. Hope everything goes well and it gets contained before anymore folks are hurt and/or lose their homes. Good luck and be careful out there.