cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good 20 Gallon Air Compressor?

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Looking to get a good 20 gallon compressor, almost jumped on a Kobalt at Lowes, then decided to wait. I ended up looking it up online and it appears to have regulator issues, so im likely going to stay away from it.

I need something on wheels so i can take it down my driveway to my FW.

Just looking for good, reliable, portable.

Thanks.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
15 REPLIES 15

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
DrewE wrote:
Most compressors any larger than the very smallest ones do not come with hoses or inflation chucks or similar accessories. The makers of the compressor don't know if you'll be inflating tires fifteen feet from the compressor or running some roofing nailers 75 feet away or whatever.

This is sometimes a blessing in disguise, as the hoses and stuff that are included with compressors that have them are often rather on the cheap side, and often not a dual-chuck inflator (which I guess doesn't matter so much if you don't have duallies).

Thanks. That goes a long way for my shopping needs. I wish i had been more prepared last night at the store. I just assumed there was something included to get you started, but i can see it the other way too.
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most compressors any larger than the very smallest ones do not come with hoses or inflation chucks or similar accessories. The makers of the compressor don't know if you'll be inflating tires fifteen feet from the compressor or running some roofing nailers 75 feet away or whatever.

This is sometimes a blessing in disguise, as the hoses and stuff that are included with compressors that have them are often rather on the cheap side, and often not a dual-chuck inflator (which I guess doesn't matter so much if you don't have duallies).

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
I have to revisit this thread.

I finally went to purchase a compressor last night, out of necessity. it was about 8:45 pm so i was moving quick.

I went to lowes to buy the Kobalt as i'm certain it will fulfill my needs, and is relatively inexpensive. Of course, sold out. so I grabbed a dewalt carted it up took it to the register, and by chance i asked,

"does it have an air hose"

They called the tool dept, the answer was no. At that time i also assumed there was not an attachment for a tire, so i put it back. Lot's to do when i got home to be ready for camping today.

I'm going to buy a compressor at sears next week, i'm going to get a Craftsman, is this true, i'll need to buy a hose, and attachemnt?

Guess i'll be making a stop at the truck stop on the way out, my tires need love.
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15 gallon Dewalt 200 PSI compressor and it does a great job on my 22.5" 90# tires.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Hitachi 4 gallon on sale right now at Menards. I have the same one used as my portable for work. It's been in service for +15 years.

If you want to roll it, buy a small moving platform. When I leave mine at home, I have an inexpensive air hose reel that allows me to roll off 75'-100' of hose and roll it back up quickly. That hose reel is one of the better things I've bought, it's saved tons of time and aggravation with air hose.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
good info. a lot i hadn't even considered.

thanks again.
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a compressor that runs at 1700 RPM's, most of the new compressors run at 3400 RPM's, you will find this on the motor ID tag. The slow ones are much quieter and will run forever.

Craftsman is a good pick because if you need a part you can order it from Sears.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
For that size I'd be hitting Craigslist. That's where I found the one I'm using now. It needed a motor mount bolt and drive belt, but I got it for $75 and it's about a $300 compressor. For a large, heavy-duty compressor that size I also wouldn't go with one of the oil-free ones.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 on the Porter Cable pancake model. Sold my 2 tank Ridgid and bought one of these. Weighs less and takes up less basement room.

If you're going to be on the road for more than a couple of weeks, you should be carrying a compressor.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
mabynack wrote:
My 30+ year old Sears Craftsman is still going strong. But I don't think they still make them like they used to. :@

If it's 30+ years old and running great, it will probably be around longer than you.
That older stuff seems to run forever.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:
I've got a Craftsman that's been going strong for almost 20 years. I worked at Lowes in the tool department a couple of years ago and I never saw a Kobalt compressor get returned.
My 30+ year old Sears Craftsman is still going strong. But I don't think they still make them like they used to. :@

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
20 gallon is a pretty good sized compressor. Depending on what you're doing with it, perhaps it's overkill. Certainly smaller ones are a good bit more portable.

For use down the driveway, a long air hose might be more convenient. You'll presumably have to run an extension cord if you move the compressor down, so leaving the compressor up the driveway and running an air hose isn't that much different. Just another idea to consider.

I would look for a used higher-end compressor over a new lower-end one, particularly in the larger sizes. A well-built compressor, with a bit of care, can last nearly forever.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Porter Cable pancake compressor in 150PSI rating. You will never be sorry. Was so impressed with mine that I gave away my big compressor.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got a Craftsman that's been going strong for almost 20 years. I worked at Lowes in the tool department a couple of years ago and I never saw a Kobalt compressor get returned.