nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219
15 REPLIES 15

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have about 5K on my Chinese Commodores. Made a 3600 mile round trip in May in the heat. No issues yet. E rated & 78 mph. I usually run around 65/70 mph. 12K+ toyhauler.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you get chinese tires out of the link i posted ? I posted it because it talks about LT tires being acceptable on trailers, Goodyear ok with running Their ST 75mph and derating P when used on trailers.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
I guess I was unaware that there was any QUESTION about using P rated tires for duel axle trailers. It's a lot like when Jethro said he wanted to be a brain surgeon or a street car conductor. They're two classes you seldom see compared because NOBODY would consider using Ps on a trailer would they?

Before we had ST tires it was a P or LT for our trailers.

This from another RV website from a poster with P tires;

P tires oem a 12k trailers

Santee

Tire Replacement for Carriage Domani
I am a "newbie" to the RVing world. I would like to get some advice on tire replacement for my 2008 Carriage Domani. It has the original tires 285/50/20R Goodyear Fortena on it. The tires look great but I am concerned with the age since these are the orginals. Goodyear no longer makes the tire so I am faced with trying to replace them with Hankook or Nitro which have the same size and load range (116H). We are planning to do some long range traveling this summer and I would like to get some input. I just don't feel comfortable with 2008 tires! Thanks for listening.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
skipnchar wrote:
I guess I was unaware that there was any QUESTION about using P rated tires for duel axle trailers. It's a lot like when Jethro said he wanted to be a brain surgeon or a street car conductor. They're two classes you seldom see compared because NOBODY would consider using Ps on a trailer would they?

Yep, don't know anyone that would use a "P" rated tire on a trailer, but one never knows:)

I run "P" rated tires on my tandem boat trailer.

Don't see anything wrong with that...how much does your boat weigh? I'm sure it's not in the 16,000# range or in an E or D range is it? If it's able to carry weight of axle rating and the load isn't that heavy...I don't see an issue....When I stated trailer, I meant a TT or 5er that would exceed a P rated tire..nothing more, nothing less.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Do the research, search the name brands, I don't see that many ISO16969 and TS14,001 Chinese certified manufacturers...Just saying, actions speak louder than words. I'm in manufacturing and my company is a Tier 1 Supplier and work our tails off earning the above accreditations, year after year after year...You have to keep records of Quality processes, training in place and manufacturing, Engineering and R&D documentations. I don't see that in very many Chinese Manufacturing plants...and the one's I'm talking about are the no-name ST tire manufacturers..the one's that change their name once every two years or more often if needed....

Go to the name brands and Sailun has these certifications, and they're given to you, you have to earn them....I'm not talking about reputable tire manufacturers in China, if one is Michelin, then I trust they manufacture their tires as their reputation shows they are a trustworthy manufacturer with a well earned reputation...most ST China made tires are FAR from this reputation, Quality isn't an integral part of their process, as seen by all the problems they have with a lot of products coming into our country...most recent being dog food killing our pets....but hey, it's not "politically correct" for the US to make China mad, so we do nothing about their inferior imported products...sad, very sad....
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
skipnchar wrote:

Yep, don't know anyone that would use a "P" rated tire on a trailer, but one never knows:)

I run "P" rated tires on my tandem boat trailer.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would expect these quality standards to be met by Chinese manufactured Michelins, which were OEM on my Chinese manufactured Audi A6, neither of which are exported.

Most European, Japanese, and Korean companies manufacturing in China, for the market in China, have these process quality programs in place. We imposed them on our Chinese partners. Chinese consumers understand these differences and will pay premium prices for Japanese, Korean, German, Swiss and Swedish branded products manufactured locally, knowing that the products meet the standards of the brand-owning partners.

The real problems with Chinese manufactured exports for the U.S. market is that the importers are buying at the lowest prices they can get, having little involvement with the manufacturing source beyond the handshake and the contract.

China is beginning to understand this, and starting export quality Chinese brands (Haier being one example in appliances) learning to do their own marketing, manufacturing at higher cost to produce better quality, making up for it by eliminating the U.S.-side partners and middlemen whose emphasis on lowest cost for highest margins stands at the root of the quality problems.

Just as with our earlier experiences with Japan, Korea and Taiwan, the issue is not that the sources cannot or will not manufacture higher quality products, it is that the importers who set product specifications are asking for low costs and accepting junk.

Back to the original post, you must take advice from Tire Rack in the context of what it is, a marketing tool to convince you to buy what they want to sell you. That does not mean it is bad advice.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
artguys wrote:
As I've posted on other threads...always check country of origin before giving up any form of payment. That is for any tire that comes from China. There are lots of very good choices in tires that come from the pacific rim, none from China that I know of.

Would almost completely agree, with the exception of the Sailun tire, which is manufactured in China, and as I stated earlier is a tire with a quality back ground..only one I know of made in china.. They're ISO16939 and 14001 accredited. You don't achieve these certifications without a quality processes put into the manufacturing process. Only Chinese manufactured tire that I'm aware of that has achieved this level of Quality and Manufacturing Management.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone who would P tires on a trailer is not going to read this either. Some of the info in some of those tire topics was dubious.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
As I've posted on other threads...always check country of origin before giving up any form of payment. That is for any tire that comes from China. There are lots of very good choices in tires that come from the pacific rim, none from China that I know of.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

SBL9A
Explorer
Explorer
The Chinese can't make safe dogfood. I don't trust them to make tires.

Tom
Be safe.

SBL9A

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't alway's apply....There are now 5er's that come with LT tires. A Michelin XPS RIB would be much more trusted as an "E" rated tire on a 6,000# axle over a lot of ST tires on the market. A lot of the ST tires that are manufactured in China have little to no Quality process accountability in their manufacturing process....

For 5er's over 10,000-12,000#...I'd be hard pressed to use a regular ST tire. Sailun tires, manufactured in China have a Quality process in place and are accredited ISO 16969 and 14001 accredited...I'd look at and possibly purchase their tires, but until some of these ST tires on the market are proven to be a trustworthy tire, it really doesn't matter what tirerack or any one else say's about them....just look on the forum and read the post of real life LT and ST tire users...

For lightweight trailers, 5er's, lawnmowers, boat trailers, they have their place, but on heavy to heavier 5er's and TT's....I don't trust them, as do a lot of others on this forum
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet