cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sam Club gone bad

keithhelms
Explorer
Explorer
This company seems to have become a fairly shady marketing firm. I get at least a couple of mailings from them every week for the same products over and over and over again. If I didn't sign up for their insurance after the first 50 mailings, I don't know why they think I will with #51.

The last straw for me was today when I got a bill from Good Sam Roadside Assistance stating "Urgent! YOUR MEMBERSHIP EXPIRES THIS MONTH". I called the number on the bill and told the woman I had never signed up for this program. She said "Oh, you were given a free 6-month membership back in January". To me, it is extremely devious to send me renewal bills for memberships I never requested. I told her to never send anything like this to me again and to take me off their mailing list. I'm sure they make money off of this, because someone somewhere will be confused and pay the bill, possibly thinking their spouse signed up for it.
52 REPLIES 52

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
Marine By Choice wrote:
I have become a real curmudgeon! So I take one company's unsolicited "offering" , place it into another company's prepaid envelope and mail to them. My wife thinks "that's not nice", but it gives the post office more business!

And I thought that I was the only one that did that. :B

You're nicer than I am...I shred it first then send it back. It's positively therapeutic.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We were just discussing that we have not received a single thing from CW. When we signed up, we told them that we were concerned about too much "junk" mail, and they entered something so that we don't get any mailings.

We check the sales periodically and order when we need to.

I was skeptical at first, but it seems to have worked for us. I'm not complaining, I was worried about them selling our info to others and being bombarded with needless paper.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
hotbyte wrote:
What is really a shame is they sponsor a FREE forum where you can complain about all the junk mail they send you. Interesting that OP has the GS logo under username so is a member of some part of GS enterprise.

What is the SHAME in providing an advertising media for free. It is part of modern day big business. The SHAME is that you expect a relationship that is not based on profit. Businesses are based on, designed on, measured on and live or die on profit. The fact that you can complain here and not be deleted in the first 5 minutes is not a SHAME, it is outstanding in modern day business. Cherish it instead of condemning it.

Best reply of all the post. The complainers have never been in business and they think money flows in whether you advertise or not. If they were cut off completely they would complain about not receiving info. If GS quit sending out advertisements and started charging for using this site, think they would be happy?

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
What is really a shame is they sponsor a FREE forum where you can complain about all the junk mail they send you. Interesting that OP has the GS logo under username so is a member of some part of GS enterprise.

What is the SHAME in providing an advertising media for free. It is part of modern day big business. The SHAME is that you expect a relationship that is not based on profit. Businesses are based on, designed on, measured on and live or die on profit. The fact that you can complain here and not be deleted in the first 5 minutes is not a SHAME, it is outstanding in modern day business. Cherish it instead of condemning it.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
My trash collector supplies a recycle bin for all unwanted ads.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Marine By Choice wrote:
I have become a real curmudgeon! So I take one company's unsolicited "offering" , place it into another company's prepaid envelope and mail to them. My wife thinks "that's not nice", but it gives the post office more business!

And I thought that I was the only one that did that. :B
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If I didn't get junk mail, I wouldn't get any mail at all. I keep a 33 gallon plastic bag on a frame next to where I'm sitting right now. It has a shredder attached to it. I don't even have to get up. Good Sam is about middle of the road as far as volume goes.
BTW, I fill it up about every two weeks.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Good Sam is a big ponzi scheme. They are not in the road service business, they use some one else for that.They are a pure and simple marketing company. I had their Emergency service for awhile. They nearly drove me nuts. I can't say that I had any real problem with their road service. However the price kept going up and I found other companies that do the same thing for less money and do not pester me to death. I detest any one that automatically renews my subscription to any thing with out my permission to do so. That will kill a deal right now.

They have become quite a marketing company but you obviously don't know the meaning of a Ponzi scheme.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I've asked to stop receiving their emails. I'm gonna start forwarding the ones I still get to all the GS and CW email addresses that I know, to include Marcus.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Good Sam membership and Good Sam roadside assistance so obviously I get a ton of junk mail from Good Sam. The junk mail doesn't bother me all that much, our trash and recyclables are picked up weekly. What does bother me is roadside assistance could cost $10 a year if they saved all that money they spend on mailing out junk.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP - its as simple as going to goodsamclub.com, logging in or creating a profile and then opting out of all this stuff.

Anyone who wants to opt out of junk mail can find instructions on this Google search

You should also know that no company will ask you to tell them your on line account credentials. Emails telling you to log into your accounts to verify something are bogus.

To stop phone calls, get rid of your land line and use your cell phone or put yourself on the do not call list. It won't stop some scammers, but they are pretty obvious, and can be fun to plat stupid with.

Also, if you are putting your contact info out on the internet or tell the world every minute details of your daily life on sites like Facebook, then you git what you git - so don't throw a fit. Great advice from a 5 year old...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton wrote:
Just take their own self address prepaid envelope and mail the******back to them on their dime ??

I think now the metered postage on those return envelopes is up around .70 cents whenever one is returned. I do that as often as I can to the junk mailers.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
As full-timers with a mail forwarding company, we successfully got off everyone's mailing list for junk mail. It can be done. We haven't received any for 19 years now. Really!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
You get stickers?!?! I never get stickers! (althought I did get a window cling I can't use because all the windows are too dark to see it.)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!