cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

good Sam VS AARP.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
So which do you think would serve you better if you were old enough to use one, or both. Good Sam is good for "some" CGs, and AARP is good for "some" CGs. But AARP is good for some motels. So just wondering which y'all would prefer.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
48 REPLIES 48

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Worst way of trying to make a point that anyone has ever attempted on here.

I have to agree, AARP is much worse than Hitler's atrocities.
bumpy

Mom, told me never to argue with crazy people.
Or for that matter, people that probably would have voted for hitler if they'd had the chance.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
pnichols wrote:

Now .... with respect to camping discounts ... the most worthless campng membership we have is Passport America. RARELY do commecial campgrounds honor their supposed 50% discount - there's always some excuse at campgrounds as to why our Passport America isn't honored. What a waste. ๐Ÿ˜ž

total nonsense.
but I always suggest to folks that they check the web site for locations/conditions/etc. If you can't save the pittance to sign up with PA which is about 2 nights use, you just aren't trying or it is not right for you.

bumpy

We're signed up with PA on a multi-year membership. HOWEVER, we don't "search intentionally" for PA campgrounds ... we choose camping spots based on where we are at the time (... and BTW we're not into "resort campgrounds", either).

It's just that usually the campgrounds that we pick either wind up not being a PA CG ... or are a PA CG, but for a variety of excuses don't happen to honor the PA discount "at that time". Baloney!!

PA needs to modify their contracts with campgrounds (and charge more for memberships if that'll help their business model) such that when you pull into a PA campground, you can COUNT ON getting the discount ... regardless of the day or season. Now that I could get excited about!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

I have to agree, AARP is much worse than Hitler's atrocities.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Now .... with respect to camping discounts ... the most worthless campng membership we have is Passport America. RARELY do commecial campgrounds honor their supposed 50% discount - there's always some excuse at campgrounds as to why our Passport America isn't honored. What a waste. ๐Ÿ˜ž

total nonsense.
but I always suggest to folks that they check the web site for locations/conditions/etc. If you can't save the pittance to sign up with PA which is about 2 nights use, you just aren't trying or it is not right for you.

bumpy

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
So I guess I'll discount all the opinions based on politics.

You don't like a group fine. That has nothing to do with whether they're a good deal, and actually prevents you from knowing either way.

Good point.
The last 25-30 years or so seems like certain political minded folks like to vilify others/groups/companies and then make these type decisions based on their extreme political views.

So read between the lines or do like other free thinkers and use your own judgement on choosing AARP or GS.
I'm glad it works for you but not so for a lot of people. If you are retired but not yet eligible for Medicare you had to purchase from ACA. My premiums went from $450. with 2k deductible to $763. with 8k deductible. AARP supported this nonsense. Not in my best interest and cost me several thousand for the mathematical challenged. So if I don't think the way you do I'm not a free thinker, more nonsence.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Have to disagree. we've been using PA for the past 10 years and it's always been worth the cost of membership.
now that we're retired, it's been even more worth the cost. Around 75% of our entire 10 week trip, south to Calif and Arizona, has been 50% off the places we stay.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:

I refuse to support any firm that has policies that I do not share. So if Hitler had the lowest rates, you would select him?
bumpy

I agree with Bumpy's opinion that "we" can "shop" using our political opinion as one deciding factor. Maybe the word "Hitler" was a non-PC choice but his reasoning was spot on.
Patrick

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
ScottG wrote:
RickLight wrote:

You don't like a group fine. That has nothing to do with whether they're a good deal, and actually prevents you from knowing either way.

Very wise.

I refuse to support any firm that has policies that I do not share. So if Hitler had the lowest rates, you would select him?
bumpy

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Since this is an RV forum, I assume that the "AARP membership" being talked about is in relation to camping discounts.

From another perspective, we have had AARP's (most comprehensive plans allowed in our state) health insurance supplement coverage for years in addition to our Medicare coverage. Whatever medical care the DW or myself require - we walk out of doctor's offices and hospitals owing $ZERO - due to Medicare plus AARP insurance coverage in combination. We are AARP fans because of their excellent supplemental health insurance offerings.

Pass Port Americas great if your traveling, maybe not for weekenders. I use it all the time going from state to state. $25 a year and not worth it? You need to read the notes for each camp ground, it's not like Good Sams, drive in and drop your card. Look up Stinson RV Campbell TX, found that one last year $40 a night PPA $20 with 3 day limit for full hook up 50 amp, that was $60 for three days. The owner was so nice I stopped going the opposite direction for another 3 days, so $240 normal was $120. I guess it depends on how you travel and if you read the notes. GS that $240 would have gotten me a whopping 10% or $24 discount, so which was the better card??
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since this is an RV forum, I assume that the "AARP membership" being talked about is in relation to camping discounts.

From another perspective, we have had AARP's (most comprehensive plans allowed in our state) health insurance supplement coverage for years in addition to our Medicare coverage. Whatever medical care the DW or myself require - we walk out of doctor's offices and hospitals owing $ZERO - due to Medicare plus AARP insurance coverage in combination. We are AARP fans because of their excellent supplemental health insurance offerings.

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Good point.
The last 25-30 years or so seems like certain political minded folks like to vilify others/groups/companies and then make these type decisions based on their extreme political views.

So read between the lines or do like other free thinkers and use your own judgement on choosing AARP or GS.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
RickLight wrote:

Very wise.

bumpy

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
RickLight wrote:

Very wise.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
thereโ€™s no chance weโ€™d give one red cent for anything to AARP. reasons are totally political which i will not detail. suffice it to say IMO they do not have the well being of the typical senior in mind.

we belong to Good Sam (although we donโ€™t do many 1-night stays these days) as well as KOA and AAA. on the very rare occasion we stay in a hotel the AAA card provides a discount. the typical CG/RV Park will provide a better discount for weekly and monthly stays.
I'm in agreement with you on the top paragraph. I'm a GS and Passport America lifetime member, don't have KOA and AAA.