cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got a price on an install comments...

deppeler
Explorer
Explorer
I called a local place about sourcing and installing the parts below to tow our 2013 CR-V.
Does this look like a good price?

NSA Ready Brake Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar + Blue Ox Clevis (2)
Blue Ox Base Plate BX2258
Hopkins custom Tail Light wiring kit HM 56304
Roadmaster Fuse Bypass RM 76511
ReadyStop RS-5000 break-away

$2227.85 parts with tax installed

thanks
2007 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32BA 'The Mothership'
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD 'The Pod'
15 REPLIES 15

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Price is in ballpark.

I paid around $3,000 for parts and labor to install '6 years ago'. Price also included a set of 3 locking hitch pins, coiled safety cables and custom fitted cover for the tow bar.

IMHO I would NOT do it myself. A dealership that has all the right tools and has installed thousands of them versus me in my garage?
Dealership install hands down.

Perfect example was the base plate ordered for my toad per specs did not fit. THEY knew what to do next. I would have been fumbling around trying to figure out what to do, they had seen it before and knew what base plate for another car would fit my toad. I.E. The Tracker syndrome changes from Geo to Tracker to Chevy Tracker to Suzuki to Suzuki Sidekick all within a couple of production runs. :R

Glad it was at an RV dealership where they handled all the problems. All I had to do was just pick it up all done and headed out on my first RV trip with a toad! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
The baseplate should take about 2 hours to install according to blue ox. Since it's a plug in wiring harness, I would think it could be done in 2 hours or less.Can't understand why they would need 2 days.

I have 2 quotes to install a demco baseplate on an 05 Jeep Liberty, one is $185, other is $150.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

tumbleweed1951
Explorer
Explorer
deppeler wrote:
I called a local place about sourcing and installing the parts below to tow our 2013 CR-V.
Does this look like a good price?

NSA Ready Brake Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar + Blue Ox Clevis (2)
Blue Ox Base Plate BX2258
Hopkins custom Tail Light wiring kit HM 56304
Roadmaster Fuse Bypass RM 76511
ReadyStop RS-5000 break-away

thanks

WOW I got a quote here in Redding Calif and it was 4500.00!

deppeler
Explorer
Explorer
If I am using the Hopkins Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit HM 56304 is this http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/HM47115.html what I need to go between the tow vehicle and the MH?

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
No I use very bright magnetic LED lights that I purchased in 2005 from PPL. I also use a Brake Buddy classic also from PPL in 2005 & Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar purchased in 2003. On my previous and current toads I have run inside wires back from the front of the vehicle so I can connect the mag lights with only having to run the mag light wires out at the rear of vehicle. I also made my fuse switch. Dick

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to do some of the work yourself. The fuse disconnect is a simple project. You need a switch, an inline fuse and a bit of wire. The running and stop lights can be as simple as adding a set of magnetic base towing lights. Total cost of these things is about $20.
The base plate and brake system are much more complicated and we all need help with those.

deppeler
Explorer
Explorer
dicknellen wrote:
My roadmaster baseplate was installed for 2 hours labor and they did a great job. That was all I had done and I also have a 2013 CRV. The place where you got the quote may not honor the IA quote if you don't also purchase the part from them. Dick

They said it would be the same labor cost regardless.
Yes, I have a very bad back so I can't do a baseplate install, not sure i could even do the lights...

Did you have to get the Brake-lite Relay kit as well?

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
My roadmaster baseplate was installed for 2 hours labor and they did a great job. That was all I had done and I also have a 2013 CRV. The place where you got the quote may not honor the IA quote if you don't also purchase the part from them. Dick

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "bad back" remark suggests you wouldn't want to do a DIY installation of the base plate. Running wire for lighting could be more of a contortion issue than the base plate. But you might be able to use wireless lights... The name brand base plate makers have installation instructions on-line including Labor Hours, Degree of Difficulty, and Miscellaneous Notes. I did DIY, but it seems you could take the instruction sheet to a few shops and get a labor quote.
I can say that using new but discontinued base plates and tow bar for two cars, and one new base plate for a third, a used tow bar and used base plate for the fourth, plus a new Brake Buddy that's served all of them... Under $2500 and that's total.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

deppeler
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, it turns out the $2227.85 was just parts NOT including labor, lucky I clarified that.
Labor was another $765. They said it would take 2 days.
I think I will source the parts and save a few hundred dollars.
$765 sounds high but divide it by 16 (if it's 2 days) and it runs about $48 p/hr.
So the total should be approx; $2650 includes tax.

Do you see any glaring issues with that setup?
I think I also need:
Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay Kit for Towed Vehicles as well, about $28.00
I like the idea of the ReadyBrute Elite because it has the brake. I have a bad back and once I find a spot for my drivers seat I don't like to move it, so this solves this issue.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
PPL will order and discount almost any item and discount it 30%.

I get my Demco baseplates for a little over $300 and you can probably get the tow bar for under $1000. I paid $750 for my Readybrute but that was a while back.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ga80486
Explorer
Explorer
For comparison...

I just got my quote for a Blue OX baseplate, tow bar, locking pins, and cover, with lights wired and a Stay-N-Play Duo brake system for $3500.

And that's with a 15% discount because I bought my RV from the same place.

Y-Guy
Quick glance on Amazon shows 1,882.18 for parts alone.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

(um... I know I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to toads, but ... where do they install tax?).... :B :E :S