cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GST Tax Question

Dogdad58
Explorer
Explorer
We are Canadians snowbirding in the US. If we buy a trailer in the States and leave it in the States for 2 years, when we import it into Canada, will we pay GST on the full purchase price or on the depreciated value of the rig? Thanks for the help!
6 REPLIES 6

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Planning two years ahead!!!!! Are you guys nuts??? Even if he still wants to take it north, either the US or Canadian laws are apt to change. And then there's climate change. ๐Ÿ™‚

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
Wouldn't this be something best answered by your government?

That's what I think too, for real answers ask the real experts, not us wana-be X-perts.

C'mon - it will work out just fine.

If the govt folks in Maple Leaf Land say otherwise, he can just tell them a plethora of posters in the USA, on an Internet forum, told him there's no problem with his plan, eh?...;)

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
We had our MH registered in the US for about 1 1/2 years before we imported it and were charged the GST on the purchase price (although initially they wanted to have us pay GST on 'market value' which is them looking up similar models on AutoTrader.ca which came out to significantly more than we paid for it 18 months before). If you're buying new, you could probably get it appraised after 2 years and have the appraisal notarized and then might accept you only paying on the appraised value.

When I did it in Ontario, I had to pay GST but I did not have pay PST on registration because it was considered a 'transfer' (already registered in my name in the US) as opposed to a 'new registration' (which is taxed)

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
dons2346 wrote:

That's what I think too, for real answers ask the real experts, not us wana-be X-perts.

I agree. Find a good Canadian Tax Accountant before the deal.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer