cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Had an unexpected visitor this weekend

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I was out camping in the desert this last weekend. The weather was beautiful with just a puff of wind from time to time. I was outside on Sunday morning when I spied this guy wandering around the area. I grabbed my camera and jumped in the Suburban and drove off to get a closer look and maybe a photo. After a few minutes though he turned around and wandered back to and through my campsite making sure to look at and sniff everything. It was a great experience to just sit and watch him hunt.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
30 REPLIES 30

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have or had a pack, of coyotes, behind us a couple hundred feet or so.
There is a deep well marked and muddy, at times,game trail around the property.
Our turkeys are all gone. We had, as many as, twenty year before last, in front yard. We did hear Whipper Wills but no more.
We had a cat taken from the swing by a hawk or..., and a cat that showed up but wouldn't be petted disappeared. Along with a small dog that showed up one night, I heard them kill it near the game trail, an awful sound but nothing I could do.
I haven't heard the coyotes the last few weeks. The dogs still bark at something though.
A stray cat has showed up and not been molested so far.
I like all animals but will have to be realistic about stray cats and the wildlife.
The rabbits are gone too.
I've tried to get up the hill and take out some of the coyotes but no luck. So they have moved on after eating everything, they can catch, or someone has hunted their numbers down.
Oh and the grand kids and DIL saw a big dog or something, they described as monster in the yard and came toward them growling, on the patio and drive, in tears. Maybe it was a coyote and if it is approaching people, a definate danger.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lawnspecialities, we are close by up in Bunn. I told my wife we were not going to put up a small fenced area to leave the dogs out in because of coyotes. She didn't believe me. She does now.
Puma 30RKSS

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I never heard of coyote sightings here in north central Illinois farm country. Now they are here. Not a common sight, but there are plenty of them.

I wonder why they started spreading just recently.

Used to see a lot of crows. Now very rare sight.
Never heard of turkeys being here, now there are plenty, although not sighted often.
Never saw red tailed hawks, now they are common.
Use to be lots of pheasants, now none. (Harsh winters and farming changes)
Deer were not rare but not plentiful. Then not too long ago they were plentiful. Now (I think because of coyotes) they are less plentiful.
Canada geese used to be uncommon. You all probably know how they are now.

Interesting how these things change during a person's lifetime.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in the country in central IL. yotes are thick here.

If a domestic cat gets out in the open they are yote food. have lost two of them.

:W I think that part of their upbringing here is that mom teaches them what the sound of a round being chambered sounds like. I have also learned that you have to chamber the round before you sneak outside. :B Measure/countermeasure

But I can also understand that in a non urban area they could be considered interesting and part of nature.

MrWizard
I saw the nova ? Video about coy wolf
I also read where there is DNA testing on the smaller gray wolf in Texas
Some believe that it is hybrid that we just never knew about it , until investigation research of the eastern coy wolf happened
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Almost every state in the USA has coyotes
They are in every US state; they are in many urban areas including Chicago, DC, and NYC.

Chicago: http://urbancoyoteresearch.com/about-coyotes
NYC: http://www.gothamcoyote.com/
DC: http://insider.si.edu/2015/06/cats-dont-roam-in-places-coyotes-call-home/

Coyotes are bigger in the east than in the west due to hybridization with wolves and dogs during their migration east.

http://earthsky.org/earth/eastern-coyotes-a-hybrid-but-coywolf-is-not-a-thing
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live in a rural area with lots of coyotes. There's a den not far from us and often hear the howls in the evening. Seeing wild animals in their native environment is great. If you have a dog you should know:

They're smart. They'll send a female out ahead of a pack on a hunt to try and lure in a male dog with it's scent. Once lured in, the pack pounces on it. A neighbor behind us had a dog that mysteriously "disappeared". We found a pile of bones with some fur still attached beside our house last year which appeared to be a deer.

They are carriers of parvovirus, a serious and highly contagious disease that can be contracted by dogs from contact with coyote poop. It can be deadly. We used to have a lab that got the virus despite being vaccinated against it. Fortunately our vet was able to save her. The virus can survive for months outside a host and can even be tracked indoors on shoes or clothes.

MrWizard
Outside of house cats
The coyote is the most prevalent predator in the Americas
Almost every state in the USA has coyotes
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Coyotes are found in every county in Michigan, including the Metro Detroit area. I see/hear them constantly here in rural farm country, and their numbers have been increasing for years. Our cats stay in the house.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
nineoaks2004 wrote:
We are overloaded with yotes here and live in a farming community, we have raise goats and have a donkey in each pasture, they protect the goats and will kill any dog or yote that comes in. They have decimated the turkey, quail and rabbit populations, not to mention the chickens and put a large dent in the deer population, we have an agreement with all of us hunters to kill any that we can, even if it means letting a deer pass by, we figure that if we kll one yte it saves lots of other animals.

Interesting, I never know a donkey would chase much less kill a dog or coyote.

Where I live we also have a decent coyote population in the hills around the house and I see one in the neighborhood from time to time. They have been there for years and yes cats do disappear from time to time. But for some reason we've also had a rabbit population explosion and they seem to be everywhere at night. I keep waiting for the coyotes to clear them out but it's been three years and doesn't seem to be happening.

But even though I see them from time to time at home, it just seems different to see one out in the desert hunting mice and such.

Thanks for all the comments, I didn't realize they were so prevalent everywhere else.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
NATURE!

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We are overloaded with yotes here and live in a farming community, we have raise goats and have a donkey in each pasture, they protect the goats and will kill any dog or yote that comes in. They have decimated the turkey, quail and rabbit populations, not to mention the chickens and put a large dent in the deer population, we have an agreement with all of us hunters to kill any that we can, even if it means letting a deer pass by, we figure that if we kll one yte it saves lots of other animals.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything has it's place. I'm glad you enjoyed your one Coyote sighting.

But, in my area they have gotten so think they have become pests. They are over populated and causing damage to other wildlife. They are hard on my cat population. I must keep my dog tied up at night to keep her from chasing them. And the HOWLING can get bad. Drives the dogs nuts.

CC_Crabman
Explorer
Explorer
Nature, it's why we camp. Very cool!